Another possible CDC no-sail extension?

39 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Only NYC the rest of the state has been open for indoor and outdoor dining since July (I think).

So many restaurants in NYC are in cramped spaces. With distancing they will only be able to accommodate a fraction of their usual numbers. It will be a disaster. Up here we have been lucky with a dry and warm summer to allow for outdoor seating. That business has completely dried up since Labor Day. It will get worse before it gets better.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Right off the bat, the CDC isn't killing the cruise industry, the pandemic is. Hopefully the CDC has taken the emotion out of the equation, and basing their decisions on the only thing that matters, public health.

Yet Disney world, Seaworld, dollywood, and universal are all open?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pratique said:

So many restaurants in NYC are in cramped spaces. With distancing they will only be able to accommodate a fraction of their usual numbers. It will be a disaster. Up here we have been lucky with a dry and warm summer to allow for outdoor seating. That business has completely dried up since Labor Day. It will get worse before it gets better.

Wont be many restaurants to eat at when it’s all said and done.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pratique said:

I'm surprised they can survive. Rents are so expensive. Even here a place we go regularly is struggling to make ends meet with the capacity control. It's going to be worse in the winter when they can't seat people outdoors. I hope they can survive.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I'm surprised they can survive. Rents are so expensive. Even here a place we go regularly is struggling to make ends meet with the capacity control. It's going to be worse in the winter when they can't seat people outdoors. I hope they can survive.

Restaurants are failing here too, though I dont have numbers. Depends on outside capacity. 

I did hear up to 50% of bars here will fail. No word when bars can reopen in texas. 

Bars did reopen here for 4 or 5 days but too many ignored the social distancing and capacity rules and the governor shut them right back down.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

As the weather turns chillier, they’ll be able to hunt for geese and deer in Central Park and solicit the local 4H kids for surplus animals for slaughter.

LOL!  You won't find any local 4H kids in NYC.  I lived in the "forgotten borough"  for over 60 years, and we never had the 4H.

You had to go to the country in Upstate NY somewhere, and you'd find them at the County Fair.😁

1 hour ago, mariemorgan said:

Yet Disney world, Seaworld, dollywood, and universal are all open?

You can't compare cruising with those, unless you can prove that you have several thousand people spending, in most cases, seven days, mostly in confined spaces. Someone once said being on a cruise ship is like living in a petri dish.

Why not mention sports or schools they are a closer match? Schools are slowly working their way back to classroom teaching.

Most sporting events are being played with no, or a small percentage of fans. You don't hear a whole lot of whining and pouting from them, why? They know it's for the greater good even though it cost them millions, every game they miss.

If you want to blame someone, blame the executives of the cruise line. Six months into this and finally they made a half hearted 

effort to do anything about it. I have heard of no prior proposals that were given, and rejected. Sit back, point fingers at the CDC while MSC, and other foreign lines step up and come up with an acceptable proposal a couple of months ago that sound very similar to the one that RCL, and NCL, put together with their "Blue Ribbon panel". Two months later, god knows how much money, and the followed their competitors.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Any different than Costco/Grocery store tho?  Have you seen pictures of Disney?  Plenty of space to roam and not be stacked on top of people.  

As long as they have a protocol in place they can open unlike a restaurant or bar in an overpopulated city.  At this point I don't even know who is enforcing masks and who isn't. My son went to Salem Mass over the weekend. They were very strict. You had to wear a mask walking in the street. The last time I was in Manhattan was in June and I was comfortable not wearing mask walking down the street. Midtown was deserted. Now there may be more street traffic and I wouldn't feel the same way.

2 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

LOL!  You won't find any local 4H kids in NYC.  I lived in the "forgotten borough"  for over 60 years, and we never had the 4H.

You had to go to the country in Upstate NY somewhere, and you'd find them at the County Fair.😁

I live on LI and the only organization visible are Girl Scouts. If it wasn't for their cookies they would be gone too.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

We are not dining in. But we are doing take out as often as we would normally dine in. So our spending about the same.

The restaurants that have figured out online ordering and ready-on-time pickup are getting more of our business than the ones that haven't.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Most sporting events are being played with no, or a small percentage of fans. You don't hear a whole lot of whining and pouting from them, why? They know it's for the greater good even though it cost them millions, every game they miss.

You must not be from the South!  People here are whining sooooooo much about their precious football.  They are restricting to 25% of capacity for stadium which still is 25,580k people.

Edited to add:  They also want to recall our governor for not opening more or fully. 

Edited by mariemorgan

7 minutes ago, mariemorgan said:

You must not be from the South!  People here are whining sooooooo much about their precious football.  They are restricting to 25% of capacity for stadium which still is 25,580k people.

Those will be the same people whining when they board the ship with restrictions in place.  Stay tuned for the first post wonders complaining about their experience.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Lots of restaurants closing in my area and we're in phase 3. Probably going back to phase 2 soon though sadly.....our numbers are going way up again. Were under 100 for weeks and today almost 500. 

What has changed to cause your numbers to go up?

17 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Those will be the same people whining when they board the ship with restrictions in place.  Stay tuned for the first post wonders complaining about their experience.

I don't mind the restrictions I just have no idea how to do the covid test withing 5 days when my mom  has no access to a rapid test or anything.  She's driving down to the city with the airport on New Years Eve which should have rapid tests in that city but who knows if htey are open new years eve.  Or we wait til we get to Miami but again who's going to be open new years day?  It's a conundrum.  

It's also open season for Covid there.

I don’t agree having just returned from UniversalOrlando. I felt much safer than in the supermarket, a restaurant, hardware store etc... sanitizer and team members everywhere. It was a great experience. Of course in 95 degree heat the mask wasn’t much fun but everyone there was respectful of space and proper protocols. I think we will return to cruising soon. By the way, I live in So. Florida and our economy is suffering the loss of cruising. It is so sad

Sent from my iPad using Forums
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

What has changed to cause your numbers to go up?

Looks like it's a number of things. Went into phase 3 too early maybe, schools opened, some big weddings etc etc. Weird thing is where ever I go everyone is wearing masks and social distancing is being adhered to. Now we're hearing that the 2 metre (6 foot) social distancing precaution may not be far enough. 

I don't believe there will be any cruising until Spring 2021 no matter what the Cruise lines are hoping for. 

• Like 2