Shore Excursion Conundrum--what would you do?

peanut head

I am considering booking a shore excursion with a big box store.   Celebrity doesn't offer a similar experience in the same port.  The big box store guarantees that you will make it back to the ship or they will pay to get you back by the next port.  The excursion in question is supposed to end and have us back only 15 minutes before the ship departs the port.  Is this cutting it too close?  Would you do it?

8 minutes ago, peanut head said:

I am considering booking a shore excursion with a big box store.   Celebrity doesn't offer a similar experience in the same port.  The big box store guarantees that you will make it back to the ship or they will pay to get you back by the next port.  The excursion in question is supposed to end and have us back only 15 minutes before the ship departs the port.  Is this cutting it too close?  Would you do it?

Yes, 15 minutes is cutting it way too close.   Also, when cruising resumes, you will need to take a ship sponsored excursion.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, peanut head said:

At first I would not risk it, but should you tell us in which port the excursion is and what is the next port and is it the next day?

Unless the excursion is fully refundable I would wait to book.  No one knows yet for how long ships excursions will be the only way to get off the ship.  I also think the ability to go on private excursions vs ship excursions may vary by country or region.

2 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Unless the excursion is fully refundable I would wait to book.  No one knows yet for how long ships excursions will be the only way to get off the ship.  I also think the ability to go on private excursions vs ship excursions may vary by country or region.

Agree...wait...even if allowable the time frame to have the OP back to the ship is cutting it way too close. Most private tour companies we've used always give us a 1-2+ hour window to get us back for the sail out time.

OP have you checked your roll call for something comparable some of your fellow cruiser's might be doing.

• Like 1

Never heard of a private shore excursion company that would even consider a booking with only 15 minutes before sail away.  The list of things that could go wrong are too many to list here.

Last reading the CLIA policies that are likely to be rules very shortly - can a TA happen next spring?  If the TA happens will shore excursions be Celebrity organized only?  

• Like 3

Closing in on 60 cruises and counting, I've been on MANY private tours...I have never had a single one even come close to not getting us back to the ship on time...  The private tour companies are VERY good at knowing how and when to get you back.  I remember once on a private tour, a woman in our group was getting overly concerned due to traffic.  Our guide told her that they were monitoring the ship's radio communications with its shore excursions...then told her to look behind our van..."See those three big buses behind us?...those are the ship's excursions...the ship isn't leaving without them!" 

OTOH, also look carefully at what the big box store is selling.  Is it ALSO a big bus tour with 40+ people?  It may not be worth taking.  Better to put together or join a small group private tour with others on your Roll Call.  I usually try to keep my groups to about eight people, give or take...You'll move quicker, see more, have more control over your itinerary...and you'll actually be able to hear your guide.

As to upcoming cruises, truth is NOBODY really knows right now what the rules will be.  A lot depends on WHY we're cruising...Is it because cases are down and risks are less?  Is it because a vaccine has been distributed and the risk is negligible?  We could be still NOT cruising...we could be cruising with restrictions...We could be completely back to normal--a whole lot of variables...

For me, I have cruises booked, back-to-back in April on Millennium in Japan and two in Europe in July on Apex and Infinity.  RIGHT NOW, I am waiting...I will book when I know more.  We have time...

Just one more note:  When the ship gives a sailing time, the "all aboard" time is always prior to that--usually 30 minutes to an hour prior...So, i would imagine that if that non-ship provider is catering to cruise passengers, they know that...So, "15 minutes before" PROBABLY really means 45-75 minutes before.  The tour companies depend on word of mouth references and reviews on Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor...They are not going to ruin their reputation by stranding a lot of people in port...

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1

About 4 or 5 years ago I was on the Reflection and I took a big box snorkel tour in St Martin. The return was cutting it very close to departure and I would have normally have been sweating bullets but it was combined with the Celebrity snorkel tour. Saved between 10% to 15%.

Under normal circumstances I say go with it. Travel from Malaga to Alicante is doable if you hung-up. With this pandemic situation, you may want to wait. If you book the ship tour as a back-up, you can cancel with a full refund up to 24hrs prior to the start of the tour.

Edited by Banjo

3 hours ago, peanut head said:

It's the Apex TA in May 2021.  The ship departs at 4pm from Malaga.  Next port is Alicante arriving at 7am.

I was hoping by May that ship sponsored tours would not be a requirement.  The excursion is to Alhambra and Granada. 

You may want to check with Spain Day Tours.  I used them in May 2019 for an Alhambra tour from Malaga.  They get GREAT reviews on the Spain ports of call pages and on TripAdvisor.

Personally, I wouldn't book something due to return to the ship just 15 minutes before departure.  If your ship is leaving at 4pm you may not be able to make it to the Alhambra -- it's a 2 hour drive each way.

Edited by mchell810

15 hours ago, peanut head said:

It's the Apex TA in May 2021.  The ship departs at 4pm from Malaga.  Next port is Alicante arriving at 7am.

I was hoping by May that ship sponsored tours would not be a requirement.  The excursion is to Alhambra and Granada. 

IF you go... IF you can book private shore excursions... IF you wouldn't be with someone who would freak out over missing the ship, then yes, I'd do it. I'd check availability of car rentals from Malaga to Alicante for the day you'll be there and the next day. That would be my back up plan. It's a 4.5 to 5 hour drive. I'd also have a hotel in mind for both Malaga AND Alicante and decide in the moment where we'd stay that night. My preference would be to get to Alicante ASAP. I'd also pack a essentials in my day pack for "just in case". Bring your passports, driver's license, extra cash/credit cards, medications, phone numbers for car rental/hotels, a phone/charger that works in Spain, etc. Go on the excursion planning to miss the ship... and be pleasantly surprised when you don't. 🙂 

No one should be booking ANY kind of excursions, whether ship or private, for cruises that are within 12 months. NO ONE has ANY idea of what's happening with regards to new protocols. To be honest it's rather STUPID to be paying in advance for cruising extras when there's no understanding of what the changes will be. 

• Like 3

I double checked with the big box store shore excursion company after reading your posts.  They said that the group is around 15-20 people.  I was assured that we would get back to the ship no later than 30 minutes prior to departing from port at the latest, but most likely 45 minutes before departure.  The excursion is fully refundable at any time.  If the excursion company causes us to miss the boat then they give us $500.00 cash, a hotel night's stay and transfer to the next port.  I also discussed that, currently, it seems that there is a trend for excursions to only be ship sponsored.  The big box store excursion company is aware of this and said that over time they are looking to be granted the same and rules can change by the time the ship sails and once again, I can cancel at anytime for a full refund.

28 minutes ago, peanut head said:

I double checked with the big box store shore excursion company after reading your posts.  They said that the group is around 15-20 people.  I was assured that we would get back to the ship no later than 30 minutes prior to departing from port at the latest, but most likely 45 minutes before departure.  The excursion is fully refundable at any time.  If the excursion company causes us to miss the boat then they give us $500.00 cash, a hotel night's stay and transfer to the next port.  I also discussed that, currently, it seems that there is a trend for excursions to only be ship sponsored.  The big box store excursion company is aware of this and said that over time they are looking to be granted the same and rules can change by the time the ship sails and once again, I can cancel at anytime for a full refund.

Is there a particular reason you need to book it now rather than wait a month or two until things become clearer? If it's pricing there's always a sale. I have a European cruise booked for July and while NORMALLY i would be planning private tours and posting here on CC about having others joining in but now NOTHING is the same now so I'm just sitting tight until there's a clearer picture about what can and cannot be done. 

Edited by kwokpot

42 minutes ago, kearney said:

I don't think they will be allowing private excursions until covid is behind us... Celebrity sent out an email with a link to the new protocols   New procedures that the health panel has provided the CDC...

These recommendations (not protocols) include the following:

During the initial return to sailing, cruise operators should only allow guests debarking 59 from a ship at a destination port to participate in cruise line-sponsored or verified excursions as a way of limiting potential exposures in the destinations they visit.

This would appear to open the door for non-cruise line excursions verified as meeting the future protocols. No DIY outings, but private excursions with companies that have been vetted. Of course, some cruise lines might choose to keep the excursion dollars to themselves and not both vetting other excursion companies. 

58 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Is there a particular reason you need to book it now rather than wait a month or two until things become clearer? If it's pricing there's always a sale. I have a European cruise booked for July and while NORMALLY i would be planning private tours and posting here on CC about having others joining in but now NOTHING is the same now so I'm just sitting tight until there's a clearer picture about what can and cannot be done. 

Just b/c I book doesn't mean it's final.  That's the reason for this forum--to get an idea of how people feel.  I think that we all know how you feel from the tone of your emails.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, peanut head said:

Just b/c I book doesn't mean it's final.  That's the reason for this forum--to get an idea of how people feel.  I think that we all know how you feel from the tone of your emails.

Let's not get too bent out of shape over kwokpot's "tone"...I don't think he was calling anyone in particular "stupid", maybe just trying to emphasize a point.  I, for one, had to "lift-and-shift" from two July 2020 cruises...and, since I had lots of stuff booked well in advance, I found myself having to cancel a lot of things--some of which were paid in advance.  I got lucky and was able to get everything cancelled and refunded quickly...but, reading these boards, know that a lot of people were not that lucky.

So, for my 2021 cruises (and I have four of them), I have been very careful NOT to commit to anything that was not 1)  Fully cancellable and 2) required ZERO pre-payment.  I would go ahead and "reserve" tours, hotel reservations, etc. that meet those criteria.  I have yet to book a single tour or shore excursion for 2021...but have actually prepaid one car rental and one hotel--but both with companies that had refunded me quickly for those same 2020 bookings...and made sure both clearly stated they were refundable.  I did those only for a fear that the rates on those WILL increase significantly over time...but also know I can cancel and re-book at lower rates if they go down.

Other than that, I think it is fine to wait.  I doubt most tours will fill up between now and, say, three months from now.  So, if a provider will sign you up without pre-payment and with a fully cancelable booking, then go ahead.  Otherwise, maybe smart to wait it out a little more.  

Edited by Bruin Steve

For me, I don't think I could even enjoy the day's excursion with this in the back of my mind. Stress can be a silent beast... creeps up on you... there is absolutely no way I would book this tour, even with the so-called promise. I mean, it's all fun and games until the bus gets caught in traffic, someone is late returning to the bus and that makes everyone late, the bus breaks down... you get the idea. 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, peanut head said:

I double checked with the big box store shore excursion company after reading your posts.  They said that the group is around 15-20 people.  I was assured that we would get back to the ship no later than 30 minutes prior to departing from port at the latest, but most likely 45 minutes before departure. 

Are you quite certain that the return time was quoted as 30 minutes before DEPARTURE time and not 30 minutes before ALL ABOARD time?

I completely agree with Langley Cruisers. Cruise travel is meant to be fun and relaxed. Where is the fun, if during your excursion, the only thing in mind is: will I be back on time? 

As many have mentioned, 15 minutes is a very narrow window, leaving no room for any unexpected element. Too much risk for my taste.  

• Like 1