How Likely Are You to Cruise After Sail Panel Announcement?

Kokomo91165

How Likely Are You to Cruise After Sail Panel Announcement?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. How Likely Are You to Cruise After Sail Panel Announcement?

• More Likely
    • Less Likely
    • Same
    • Not at All

3 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

There is no guarantee that the CDC will approve the proposal.

Agree no guarantee, however they have addressed many issues that appear to create a  safe as a cruise possible.

Looks like they've taken a major step forward . IMHO I don't see what else more the CDC could want.

The bigger question is will the cruiselines follow the recommendations.

• Like 1

Very interesting to read the posts in this thread.  Just based on this small sample, it looks like many won't cruise either because of virus concerns or because of the restrictions on the experience.  And this is from cruise lovers on a cruise message board.   The customer base for the first few months of cruising is going to be limited to the desperate diehards who will get onboard "just to get on a ship".  It will likely be a healthy experience, and I suppose enjoyable to the customers who are happy to be cruising regardless where it's going or what the restrictions are.  I don't get it, but wish them well.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, yogimax said:

Not until there's an effective and safe vaccine!

Agree, and there should be a statement somewhere in the new "rules" that would allow one to show their vaccination records in lieu of the 5 day-24 hour testing requirement. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TYMAN said:

Working in healthcare, I wear a mask everyday all day, plus have been tested for covid. I don't see a major issue with the restrictions AND will be onboard when it's my time to cruise!! 

Well, I'm a physician and I see it exactly the opposite as you. I wear masks when needed but typically avoid non-essential activities where one is needed.  Heck, I work out every day and I still feel winded doing a few flights of stairs in the hospital while wearing a mask. And any reatrictions placed on my activities while in port are a no go for me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

Are you saying the proposal is too soft or too hard?

The proposal is essentially 74 "bullet points". I expect the CDC will require each cruise line to submit their detailed narrative on how they will implement/enforce each of those 74 recommendations before there will be any decision from the CDC on allowing a cruise line to resume cruising.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well, I'm a physician and I see it exactly the opposite as you. I wear masks when needed but typically avoid non-essential activities where one is needed.  Heck, I work out every day and I still feel winded doing a few flights of stairs in the hospital while wearing a mask. And any reatrictions placed on my activities while in port are a no go for me.

That's the nice thing about life, we don't always have to agree. 😉 After 6 months + of wearing a mask, it's second nature to me. And although I'm probably not as in shape as you, I have zero issues wearing one while doing my daily activities. Anyway, stay safe, so far so good for me. 

At the end of the day, you have a choice.  Either stay home, and skip 2 years of vacation, or go on a vacation. Your decision is based on how you feel today, and the level of fear that you have ingested with the news media.  I went to Las Vegas, wore a mask inside, and had a good time......but I did not enjoy the mask.  My other choice was sit at home for a week and watch TV and listen to the news telling me the horrors that await me.  

So I choose to go out, and continue to live a slightly "modified life"  I have been doing it for the last 6 months, with 2 short vacations, and one week long vacation.  I hope someday soon, I can do this without a mask, but until than, I'm not writing off the year.  I only have so many left.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The mask requirement is a deal breaker.  I'm fine with the testing and bubble excursions, and I don't worry one bit about getting the virus or being quarantined, but I absolutely LOATHE the masks.  Of course I live in CA where it is mandated.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Exactly. The poll is unanswerable because we have no idea what rules the CDC will actually impose. The proposal from the healthy sail panel is a pro-business set of recommendations designed to get the cruise lines back to operations. The CDC has shown no interest in facilitating that goal. I would expect the new rules to be significantly more strict. 

Edited by danv3
Typo

Good Morning America just had a reporter on MSC’s Grandiosa, showing parts of the ship on their current cruise.    This included medical area with “several more ventilators” and isolation rooms.  

it was fun watching people “live” on a cruise ship .... but I’m not ready to be a test subject.    My next cruise was booked in a balcony, in Case of quarantine.    But reading about isolation rooms near the medical center (same as MSC just showed on GMA), those infected won’t get to stay in their cabins after all - but will be isolated in single-occupancy (inside?) cabins near medical.  

25 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

My other choice was sit at home for a week and watch TV and listen to the news telling me the horrors that await me.  

You make it sound like we have only two options in life. We can spend thousands of dollars to take a cruise with unappealing restrictions or sit home and watch TV. That just isn't how it works.

• Like 9

One thing casual cruisers may not understand is that for some, cruising isn't a vacation, per se, its a lifestyle. Kind of like going to your local country club. Just something you're used to. 

That crowd is probably ok with most of the bullet points. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You make it sound like we have only two options in life. We can spend thousands of dollars to take a cruise with unappealing restrictions or sit home and watch TV. That just isn't how it works.

Why did you do a CNN move, and take a sentence out of context.  First, I clearly said, that I went to Las Vegas, and wore a mask daily.  Since it was taken out of context, I will review it.  You have a choice to choose to go on a vacation, whether it is a cruise, or a land trip of any kind, or take your vacation, sitting at home......maybe do yard work, or watch TV, or something else, while staying at home.  So that is how it works, you choose to either take a vacation, and live with the new restrictions or you don't go and either stay at home, or just go to work.   Next time, quote the entire passage, and not just a few words.

• Like 5

After reading this unscientific poll... the cruise industry is in major trouble. Worse than I thought actually. Look, I fully understand the cruising lifestyle & the love we all have for cruise ship vactions. But folks, that won't support the industry. They need the genersal public's support and money. If people that post on a crusing message board are stating they'll wait it out... there is no way the average John & Jane Doe along w/ their kids Jimmy & Joanie are going to book a cruise anytime soon. They, the industry is in a big hurt. There is a reason why Carnival is unloading 10+ ships. Things are changing in this industry and we will never see or experience the same type of cruise post covid as we did pre-covid. 

Healthy Sail Panel Recommendations... it's an interesting read. A few things that caught my eye....

4,  tested between five days and 24 hours. the key word here being 'between'

They mandate one test and suggest that when/where possible two negative tests prior to boarding

13,  daily temperature checks for guests. 

Interesting. This should be very easy to set up & do. 

18, should adjust the guest & crew 'load' capacity in a manner that allows for physical distancing

This one... not so easy. Some cruisers are going to be cancelled. It's going to happen.  

43, contract tracing <------- this is a biggee imo... standing  6' < 15 mins

This is going to a very big thing.  One could get quarantined just by standing or being next to someone that has tested positive. This would be a very hard pill to swallow. It's almost impossible not to do this these days. A flight from home to Amsterdam is a great example. 

Facemasks- 

Consumer insight surveys conducted by the cruise industry show that some guests are unwilling to cruise if face coverings are required, while other consumers are unwilling to cruise if face masks are not required. The limited experience this summer aboard European cruises has revealed that a significant portion of guests wear face masks in public areas, even when they are not mandated. Therefore, in the interest of limiting potential spread of virus, the Panel recommends that face coverings are a simple and effective strategy that should be employed. The Panel recognizes that as disease prevalence goes down, face covering requirements may be loosened over time based on the latest available scientific data, public health agency recommendations, and risk modeling. However, in the initial period of sailing, they are an important tool that should be regularly used.23

Recommendation 16: To prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2, cruise operators should require guests and crew to wear cloth face coverings/face masks in accordance with CDC recommendations.24

Specifically, guests should wear face coverings in any indoor, congregate setting regardless of physical distancing measures, but should not be required to wear face coverings in their own cabins. A notable exception is indoor dining. Seating in restaurants and bars/lounges should allow for physical distancing, so guests can eat and drink without needing face coverings while seated.

Face coverings are not required in outdoor settings as long as physical distancing is feasible. However, if physical distancing is not feasible in certain outdoor settings, masks/face coverings among guests should be required in those locations.

For crew members, masks should be worn any time they are engaging with other crew members or guests (i.e., in all public settings, both indoors and outdoors). 

• Thanks 1

I live in Florida and would go on a 3-5 day cruise from Miami, Fort Lauderdale or Tampa. It would be a solo cruise for me, R&R. Would book a balcony cabin. Relax, enjoy the sea, the food and just let each day unfold. No agenda.

Probably the safest time to sail if you can drive to the port and are healthy with a flexible attitude.

Will not, however, invest any monies or book any date until the cruise line is operational.

• Like 1