Arcadia at St John's Newfoundland.

Solent Richard

It's hard to believe that it was a year ago yesterday that Arcadia berthed at St John's, Newfoundland, the first stop on her Autumn Canadian round trip.

1571734614_ArcadiaandQueensBatteryView2.jpg.75c31ab451c85f6d974bef24c1f41415.jpg

To celebrate the anniversary of that visit I've just written a review of how my wife and I spent our day there. We certainly managed to pack in a full day sightseeing.

Here's the link...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2020/09/20/one-way-to-do-st-johns-newfoundland/

The review may prove useful for any members booked for a future cruise that follows a similar itinerary.

1620823612_StJohns28NewfoundlandandLabradorDogs.jpg.7cb503263c01a1d0f5847287b985089a.jpg

• Like 1

St. John's NB, was our first Canadian port of call nearly 10 years ago.. lovey location. We went on a trolley tour to see the Bay of Fundy, which was a nice trip, even if it was foggy and you could hardly see the bay. Even so it was a great trip.

Conincidently, our last stop was St. John, Newfoundland - which was also lovely, and I hear they don't go there any more.

My friends were on the Canadian cruise last year, celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary.

I returned from my last cruise, (Azura to Greece) one year ago yesterday. It seems like a different lifetime. It was an excellent cruise, and looking back, the pre-covid era ended on a high. 

Thanks Richard, enjoyed seeing this.

We are hoping to visit on Aurora next September (fingers crossed) on our way to New York and back, but also visited a few years ago on Black Watch, which sailed to Montreal and back from Liverpool.  I have a brother and sister in law who live on the outskirts, but well away from any sign of the city.  We had a very enjoyable day when we were taken around by our relatives and to their house for lunch.

One thing I would like to add is that there is a Peter Pan statue in a Bowering Park which is in St John's.  I (and my brother) grew up in Liverpool thinking the identical statue (which is in Sefton Park Liverpool) was purely ours, though it seems it is a copy of the original that is in Kensington Gardens, London and there are five other copies in other locations.  We were taken to see the Peter Pan statue in Bowring Park, St John's which I found very interesting - it seems John had been very surprised to see it when he first went over there in the late 1960's, yet his wife to be had not known of the connection of the statue to London and Liverpool.  The name Bowring Park is the same as a park in Liverpool (but not the location of the Liverpool Peter Pan statue).  It seems that a Benjamin Bowring set sail to St John's in 1811, hence there is a link - the Bowring family were prominent in Liverpool.  Just thought I would share a bit of history.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tring said:

Thanks Richard, enjoyed seeing this.

We are hoping to visit on Aurora next September (fingers crossed) on our way to New York and back, but also visited a few years ago on Black Watch, which sailed to Montreal and back from Liverpool.  I have a brother and sister in law who live on the outskirts, but well away from any sign of the city.  We had a very enjoyable day when we were taken around by our relatives and to their house for lunch.

One thing I would like to add is that there is a Peter Pan statue in a Bowering Park which is in St John's.  I (and my brother) grew up in Liverpool thinking the identical statue (which is in Sefton Park Liverpool) was purely ours, though it seems it is a copy of the original that is in Kensington Gardens, London and there are five other copies in other locations.  We were taken to see the Peter Pan statue in Bowring Park, St John's which I found very interesting - it seems John had been very surprised to see it when he first went over there in the late 1960's, yet his wife to be had not known of the connection of the statue to London and Liverpool.  The name Bowring Park is the same as a park in Liverpool (but not the location of the Liverpool Peter Pan statue).  It seems that a Benjamin Bowring set sail to St John's in 1811, hence there is a link - the Bowring family were prominent in Liverpool.  Just thought I would share a bit of history.

Thanks for adding to the story. All contributions greatly received.

• Like 1