Cancellation of December cruises

SSCAF001

Do you think December 2020 cruises will be cancelled and if yes when it should happen? I am supposed to cruise aboard Silver Shadow from December 4 to 18. And I am almost sure the cruise will not happen but I still need SS to cancel to ask for the 100% refund. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

40 minutes ago, SSCAF001 said:

Do you think December 2020 cruises will be cancelled and if yes when it should happen? I am supposed to cruise aboard Silver Shadow from December 4 to 18. And I am almost sure the cruise will not happen but I still need SS to cancel to ask for the 100% refund. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As they are still in the process of cancelling the November ones at the moment, probably not for another 3 or 4 weeks.

• Like 2

Yup...... Just spotted my Panama Moon cruise had vanished. Was told it would be culled today and so right on cue.

It does look rather odd showing a ship departing on its maiden voyage now from Lima! Give it two weeks.....

• Like 1

Every time a new batch of cancellations is made I can't help but feel some despair for all the SS employees that are seeing their livelihoods being slowly strangled. 

And also the knock-on effect to the families in places like the Philippines whose income largely derives from their relatives at sea. I can't really get too upset about missing a cruise or two (and getting my money back) when I remember the hardship being faced by so many in the industry. It's heartbreaking. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Lucky you, still waiting for ours.

I thought you had yours and the alternatives offered weren't any good? They have put forward 3 alternatives on mine all on the Dawn for Dec and Jan 21/22.... Problem we have is that December is simply not workable and the Jan one... we wouldn't be back in time to do the Sydney to Auckland replacement already booked. Bit of a dilema but suspect the solution would be the Med ones I'd mentioned.

Of course putting aside those constraints and logistics, there is a little matter of covid-19 and start up, not to mention that the Dawn probably won't be built or ready in time.

All first world problems of course and as TTS has said, the impact  elsewhere is much wider reaching.

1 hour ago, Tothesunset said:

Every time a new batch of cancellations is made I can't help but feel some despair for all the SS employees that are seeing their livelihoods being slowly strangled. And also the knock-on effect to the families in places like the Philippines whose income largely derives from their relatives at sea. I can't really get too upset about missing a cruise or two (and getting my money back) when I remember the hardship being faced by so many in the industry. It's heartbreaking. 

Great above points expressed wisely by TTS.  The big executives at the cruise lines are still on the payroll and not suffering that much financially.  BUT, many, many others among the thousands of staff members are in a seriously-challenged situations.  My guess?  Unpaid and uncertainly when "normal" would be able to resume. 

Had just talked yesterday afternoon with a member of the Silversea sales staff as to the upcoming status for Galapagos Island cruise re-starting.  He said it would be the first sailing for the new Silver Origin on November 7.  BUT, then this morning the SS website shows: "Silver Origin: From December 5, 2020, Silver Origin will resume sailing".  Still am very doubtful that Dec. 5 will be the actual date when passengers will be able to join this shinny new ship.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 240,452 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

2 hours ago, les37b said:

I thought you had yours and the alternatives offered weren't any good? They have put forward 3 alternatives on mine all on the Dawn for Dec and Jan 21/22.... Problem we have is that December is simply not workable and the Jan one... we wouldn't be back in time to do the Sydney to Auckland replacement already booked. Bit of a dilema but suspect the solution would be the Med ones I'd mentioned.

Of course putting aside those constraints and logistics, there is a little matter of covid-19 and start up, not to mention that the Dawn probably won't be built or ready in time.

All first world problems of course and as TTS has said, the impact  elsewhere is much wider reaching.

Still waiting Les. And unlike some others we still have a number of other future bookings that we hope will be used to support all the wonderful SS staff and crew.

Edited by Silver Spectre
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Every time a new batch of cancellations is made I can't help but feel some despair for all the SS employees that are seeing their livelihoods being slowly strangled. 

And also the knock-on effect to the families in places like the Philippines whose income largely derives from their relatives at sea. I can't really get too upset about missing a cruise or two (and getting my money back) when I remember the hardship being faced by so many in the industry. It's heartbreaking. 

I quite agree.

6 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Still waiting Les. And unlike some others we still have a number of other future bookings that we hope will be used to support all the wonderful SS staff and crew.

Ill be back up to 4 with the replacements planned/requested. Possibly misplaced trust / hopes but what the heck!

Hopefully hear back by the weekend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Based on the pics shared today, the shipyard is just now working on deck 5.  Long, long way to go at this point in order to be ready to set sail on Nov 9, 2021.

A98CBD5C-6481-4F8A-BC1D-896089C0A313.jpeg

01DC3E83-6FBD-46CC-8497-8880F368DABF.jpeg

I did ask the question today and was told it was delayed but should be ready. I wonder how far behind ot is? Do you know which of the yards its in?

2 hours ago, les37b said:

I did ask the question today and was told it was delayed but should be ready. I wonder how far behind ot is? Do you know which of the yards its in?

2 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Genoa.  Same yard that lengthened Spirit.

Fincantieri has many yards around Italy.

SPIRIT: Fincantieri Ancona
SPIRIT (lengthening): Fincantieri Palermo
MUSE: Fincantieri Sestri Ponente (Genoa)
MOON: Fincantieri Ancona
DAWN: Fincantieri Ancona

Cheers Brian and Cruise Wonderland. I certainly couldn't tell it was Ancona from the taster photos, but it did highlight concerns because that looks very much a carcass than a ship and a million miles away from what the Moon looked like when I was i Ancona a year and a week ago. (Just checked the image date.... 4 Oct 2019... So pretty good guesstimate!)

(Moon to the right, RSS Splendor to the left.)

Full ship image from sail away. I do remember when we arrived thinking "whats those ships over there... That looks like a silversea funnel"!  Such a lovely moment in time to see the Moon in construction.

IMG_20191004_112530.jpg

IMG_20191004_112534.jpg

IMG_4965-2.jpeg

Edited by les37b
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, VA Emily said:

Received notice today from Silversea via TA of cruise cancellation of Silver Cloud Expedition, Ushuaia to Ushuaia, 2020-12-01.  So sad - our first Silversea cruise and a bucket list cruise!

We were supposed to be on the same sailing and it would have been our first as well.  Based on the COVID situation in Argentina, we had assumed this was inevitable, but there was a sense of finality when we learned it was officially cancelled. Sad times.