Cancellation of December cruises

SSCAF001

December 1 from Mumbai to Singapore  would seem extremely doubtful given 6.7M COVID 19 cases vs 57.8K (Source: Johns Hopkins)   Tourists are allowed into Singapore, but must have a valid letter for entry  and have to stay in a stay at a dedicated facility at their expense and successfully pass a COVID 19 test, also at their expense.  

December 4 San Juan to Ft Lauderdale with stops in the 13 stops in the Caribbean seems very optimistic.    Puerto Rico has a curfew from 10PM to 5AM through 16 Oct and requires a negative COVID 19 test for entry or test at airport and quarantine for 14 days or until test results received.  Need to check after mid October and see if the entry and curfew rules change.  

We are booked on a Silver Shadow charter in February 2021.  A lot has to happen before we will be able to go.  

Azamara has already cancelled all the cruises in the entire 2020-2021 winter season (or summer in Australia). Their 3 ships originally would sail to South America, Africa and Australia respectively.

Sadly I believe more cruise lines will gradually announce the cancellation of all winter exotic itineraries within this month.

• Thanks 1

And our Treasurer on presenting the Budget this week said it may be late 2021 before our borders open.

"In his post-budget speech at the National Press Club this week, Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said: “International travel including both tourists and international students is assumed to remain largely closed off until late next year and then gradually return over time. "

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/travel-news/when-will-australias-borders-open-a4566651.html

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, drron29 said:

And our Treasurer on presenting the Budget this week said it may be late 2021 before our borders open.

"In his post-budget speech at the National Press Club this week, Australian Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said: “International travel including both tourists and international students is assumed to remain largely closed off until late next year and then gradually return over time. "

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/travel-news/when-will-australias-borders-open-a4566651.html

Sounds like all things being equal earliest unrestricted world trave will begin as early asl 4th quarter of 21! WoW...

Joseph

On 10/12/2020 at 9:45 PM, Stumblefoot said:

That is just shocking to read to think Australia may be over a year away from opening to the international community.

We will probably open to selected Asian countries before then but they are saying the US and UK will be among the last to be allowed in.

The fear campaign in Australia has worked a treat.

• Thanks 1

December 1 from Mumbai to Singapore  would seem extremely doubtful given 6.7M COVID 19 cases vs 57.8K (Source: Johns Hopkins)   Tourists are allowed into Singapore, but must have a valid letter for entry  and have to stay in a stay at a dedicated facility at their expense and successfully pass a COVID 19 test, also at their expense.  

December 4 San Juan to Ft Lauderdale with stops in the 13 stops in the Caribbean seems very optimistic.    Puerto Rico has a curfew from 10PM to 5AM through 16 Oct and requires a negative COVID 19 test for entry or test at airport and quarantine for 14 days or until test results received.  Need to check after mid October and see if the entry and curfew rules change.  

We are booked on a Silver Shadow charter in February 2021.  A lot has to happen before we will be able to go.  

My December 4 cruise aboard Shadow is still showing on the web. Knowing that as a European resident I am forbidden to fly to both the US and Puerto Rico, what would happen if SS maintains my cruise, since I cannot reach the port of embarkation? Can I ask for a full refund of my cruise or since Silversea operates the cruise I will be denied a refund even if it is not my choice to cancel my cruise? I add that this cruise was booked before the start of the epidemic. Thanks for your thoughts about this.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums

1 hour ago, SSCAF001 said:

My December 4 cruise aboard Shadow is still showing on the web. Knowing that as a European resident I am forbidden to fly to both the US and Puerto Rico, what would happen if SS maintains my cruise, since I cannot reach the port of embarkation? Can I ask for a full refund of my cruise or since Silversea operates the cruise I will be denied a refund even if it is not my choice to cancel my cruise? I add that this cruise was booked before the start of the epidemic. Thanks for your thoughts about this.

I seriously doubt the December 4 Shadow cruise will sail.   However, say that it does but you are barred from traveling to Puerto Rico or from Florida I can’t see Silversea not having to let you cancel or at least change your booking to a later date and maybe different itinerary.

I seriously doubt the December 4 Shadow cruise will sail.   However, say that it does but you are barred from traveling to Puerto Rico or from Florida I can’t see Silversea not having to let you cancel or at least change your booking to a later date and maybe different itinerary.

Thank you for this answer. I was more specifically asking regarding a refund and not a FCC which I know I will be entitled.

1 hour ago, SSCAF001 said:

Thank you for this answer. I was more specifically asking regarding a refund and not a FCC which I know I will be entitled.

That I don’t know.  My impression, and granted I don’t have a cruise booked so I haven’t been paying attention, is that the refund versus FCC situation seems to be fluid.   I would like to think that Silversea would offer the choice and I’m pretty sure they do.  I think if I understand the latest concern it’s more about the FCC being 125% or 110% or 100%.    Personally I wouldn’t take an FCC regardless of the percentage.

Edited by Randyk47

9 hours ago, SSCAF001 said:

In the earliest stage of the pandemic in February when Asian countries are the most serious region, the ships around the world can still sail but some Asians are forbidden to embark. At that time, most of the cruise lines give special permission for Asians to cancel without penalty and receive full refund.

If cruise line restart their cruises later but only allow certain nationalities of passengers to embark, I guess they will allow other nationalities to have full refund. Perhaps a few cruise lines may allow cancellation but only provide credits, instead of refund...

On 10/15/2020 at 11:42 AM, SSCAF001 said:

My understanding is that the Cruise with Confidence program covers you in this scenario but only for FCC.

While working with them for a January cruise they outlined my options.  If the cruise is going to execute but I change my mind for any reason up to 30 days before sail date I can execute the Cruise with Confidence program but I am only entitled to FCC, not a refund.

• Effective 6 October, your clients will be able to cancel their cruise up to 30 days prior to departure for all voyages until 30 December, 2021, without penalties when selecting a Future Cruise Credit. Applicable for all bookings made prior to 30 November 2020.

Source: https://www.silversea.com/lp-trade-CWC-cruise-cancellation-and-commission-protection-guidelines.html

They further outlined the only scenario where I can get a refund this close in would be if the cruise is cancelled and I had not already initiated the Cruise with Confidence program.    

Edited by twangster

My understanding is that the Cruise with Confidence program covers you in this scenario but only for FCC.

While working with them for a January cruise they outlined my options.  If the cruise is going to execute but I change my mind for any reason up to 30 days before sail date I can execute the Cruise with Confidence program but I am only entitled to FCC, not a refund.

• Effective 6 October, your clients will be able to cancel their cruise up to 30 days prior to departure for all voyages until 30 December, 2021, without penalties when selecting a Future Cruise Credit. Applicable for all bookings made prior to 30 November 2020.
Source: https://www.silversea.com/lp-trade-CWC-cruise-cancellation-and-commission-protection-guidelines.html

They further outlined the only scenario where I can get a refund this close in would be if the cruise is cancelled and I had not already initiated the Cruise with Confidence program.    

Thanks for your answer. The case I mentioned is specific and not explicitly described in the frame of the cruise with confidence policy. Formally speaking I will not cancel my cruise. I am just forbidden to reach the port of embarkation and the port of disembarkation. So Silversea will not have the right to take me as a passenger. Knowing as I have booked my flights with them from Switzerland to Puerto Rico and back from Miami before the restrictions entered into force. So I would find fair to be entitled a full refund.

6 hours ago, SSCAF001 said:

Thanks for your answer. The case I mentioned is specific and not explicitly described in the frame of the cruise with confidence policy. Formally speaking I will not cancel my cruise. I am just forbidden to reach the port of embarkation and the port of disembarkation. So Silversea will not have the right to take me as a passenger. Knowing as I have booked my flights with them from Switzerland to Puerto Rico and back from Miami before the restrictions entered into force. So I would find fair to be entitled a full refund.

I like your interpretation and hope it works out as I could find myself in a similar situation where the country of embarkation doesn't accept the color of my passport for entry due to the pandemic.  I too have airfare booked through SilverSea.

Please keep us updated as this progresses.

Anyone know when an announcement may be made cancelling the Silver Moon out of Callao, Lima on the 8th December? Can't see it happening as I don't think you can fly in from the UK and I would think a few of the countries due to be visited will not allow docking including the last port of call, Fort Lauderdale, as things stand at present.

Is there even a rumor that Silversea has started to reconstitute their staff and crews?   Other than the Spirit with the personnel they brought together for the Saudi Arabia bubble cruises I haven’t heard of any movement to bring staff and crew back together.   It also looks like Europe is on the verge of closing down again.  France is particularly hard hit and talking a shutdown and there are a number of Silversea ships in Marseilles.  

Edited by Randyk47

Silversea has cancelled all remaining 2020 sailings.  I won't be surprised if by the end of November, we see cancellations of the January 2021 sailings.  Here is the revised schedule: 

Silver Spirit:

•     SL210104022 - Silver Spirit will set sail on January 4, 2021

Silver Muse:

•     SM210105014 - From January 5, 2021, Silver Muse will resume sailing

Silver Moon:

•     MO210107016 - Silver Moon will set sail on January 7, 2021

Silver Shadow:

•     SS210108010 - Silver Shadow will commence service once again from January 8, 2021

Silver Origin:

•     OR210109007 - From January 9, 2021, Silver Origin will resume sailing

Silver Explorer:

•     E1210209015 - Guests will cruise on Silver Explorer again from February 9, 2021

Silver Cloud:

•     E4210319021 - Silver Cloud will set sail on March 19, 2021

Silver Whisper:

•     WH210606014 - Silver Whisper will commence service once again from June 6, 2021

Silver Wind:

•     WI210614014 - Silver Wind will welcome guests once more from June 14, 2021

Silver Dawn:

•     DA211109010 - Silver Dawn will commence service from November 9, 2021

• Thanks 1

Not sure when cancellation emails will go out but all December cruises aren't on the website any more. Cruises are set from January now so expect the cancellation any time now! I was on the Christmas Shadow cruise and as of this morning can't book excursions then spotted around 11:30 it disappeared off the Silversea website. Still showing on MySilversea but I know its gone. As from the UK we still can't travel part of me is relieved but part of me is still a little sad.

Edited by gismo1554

46 minutes ago, gismo1554 said:

Not sure when cancellation emails will go out but all December cruises aren't on the website any more. Cruises are set from January now so expect the cancellation any time now! I was on the Christmas Shadow cruise and as of this morning can't book excursions then spotted around 11:30 it disappeared off the Silversea website. Still showing on MySilversea but I know its gone. As from the UK we still can't travel part of me is relieved but part of me is still a little sad.

same for me. My December 4 Shadow cruise is not shown on SS website. I have not received my official cancellation mail from SS but I have already asked my SS TA to proceed immediately for a 100% cash refund. When the pandemic started I had 3 cruises booked. September 20, December 20 and may 21. September 20 was cancelled end of June. Full refund received beginning August. May 21 cancelled last Friday. SS indicated that I should get my refund between December 1 and 11. So no more bookings for the time being. I really hope being able to cruise again before the end of 2021! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1