Vancouver debarkation from Eurodam COVID ??

Jsipes

Last week I bought tickets  on Eurodam  ,  from San Diego to Vancouver.   Just occured to me "will passengers who debark be allowed to go to the airport and fly back to the USA,  or will we have to Quranteen there for 14 days ?   Anyone can give advice on Holland Staff,  would appreciate it.

3 hours ago, Jsipes said:

Last week I bought tickets  on Eurodam  ,  from San Diego to Vancouver.   Just occured to me "will passengers who debark be allowed to go to the airport and fly back to the USA,  or will we have to Quranteen there for 14 days ?   Anyone can give advice on Holland Staff,  would appreciate it.

At this point in time there are two rules:  No cruises. 2nd rule: No Americans....lol.

In all seriousness,  right now, Americans aren't allowed to cross the land border into Canada unless they are travelling to their homes in Alaska.  People who are coming in by plane must quarantine for 14 days.  

But if the COVID situation doesn't improve in the US, doesn't matter if the Canadian federal government borders open to the US, I don't know that the City of Vancouver will allow cruise ships.  At this point in time, I would probably guess that Vancouver will say no. And I'm pretty sure the Port Authority will have to go along with the City.

L.

Edited by leerathje
  • Like 3

I am sure I will get alot of negative comments about my statement below, but I am saying it anyway:

Honestly I don't understand what the issue is now with Canadians not wanting Americans in their city/country.  The covid # are getting lower & lower.  Schools in many areas have been open.  Things are opened up.  It's CNN & major media that are hyping covid, which was the worst in the larger cities.    So did the covid virus not show up in Canada?     (FYI: I am 79 yrs old, and educated.)

• Thanks 1

You might want to check the stats on Worldometers.   The US numbers are highest in the world with over 22,000 cases per million.   Canada has over  4000 cases per million  and wishes to keep it in check.  Our government is keeping the borders closed during this time.   The EU is also not allowing US visitors.  I really hope the situation improves.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 7

Cruisin Kay D,

I do not wish to be negative but i do wish to be realistic.  Covid cases are not getting lower and lower.  The 14 day average of new cases across the US is up 23% and deaths are up 2%.  Yes, schools are open, and every day they close due to new infections.  In colleges, there are over 130,000 new cases.  You might want to validate your sources of information.  The major media are not hyping, they are telling the truth.  And although there are a large number of cases in big areas, the largest and fastest growing per capita are in places like the Dakotas, Utah, and Montana, all places that have fewer restrictions and now seeing surges.  The virus did show up in Canada but it was better managed that we did.  They are smart to keep us out until we do a better job.  

Bruce D

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

you may be right that much of the US may have the virus "under control". The problem is if we open the border how do we then refuse entry to someone coming from a hot spot in the US? People we have let in using the Alaska loophole have abused this by then  acting as tourists. So why take the chance of an open border.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, yvrcruzer said:

you may be right that much of the US may have the virus "under control". The problem is if we open the border how do we then refuse entry to someone coming from a hot spot in the US? People we have let in using the Alaska loophole have abused this by then  acting as tourists. So why take the chance of an open border.

We wish we did.  Keep your borders closed is the smart thing to do right now.

• Like 12

8 hours ago, Cruisin Kay D said:

I am sure I will get alot of negative comments about my statement below, but I am saying it anyway:

Honestly I don't understand what the issue is now with Canadians not wanting Americans in their city/country.  The covid # are getting lower & lower.  Schools in many areas have been open.  Things are opened up.  It's CNN & major media that are hyping covid, which was the worst in the larger cities.    So did the covid virus not show up in Canada?     (FYI: I am 79 yrs old, and educated.)

Frankly, I don't want anyone from outside of New England in Maine, let alone Canada.  Tennessee has the 8th highest number of cases per 100k population, and while your cases and deaths have dropped from their peak, they have plateaued since mid-August, and remain at about 1300 cases, and 20 deaths per day for the last six weeks, they have not gotten "lower and lower".  And, while Canada is currently seeing a spike, during July and August, when Tennessee was spiking, the entire country saw less than 1000 cases per day, and British Columbia, as a province, has had less total cases than the top 5 counties of Tennessee.  I am deathly afraid of what will happen in Florida in the next few weeks, with their total removal of all restrictions.  (and I am 67 years old and educated)

• Like 16

12 hours ago, Cruisin Kay D said:

You just need to do a little (very little) research to see and understand the reasoning.  We will be very happy to see our US neighbours and cruise ship again when you have more control in your own country.

• Like 5

Yes, you will get negative comments, especially from a Canadians.  Since you knew that, I’m surprised you needed to ask anyway.  Look at your real numbers compared to ours.  I believe it’s self explanatory.  Europe feels the same way, at least for now.  We all look forward to the day when our borders open up, but not until it’s safe.

• Like 3

My husband used to go to Florida for the winter. If he were wanting to come back under the current Florida policies, I am pretty sure I would not want him to come. At the very least he would have to quarantine somewhere nearby before he could come to the house. 
I easily understand why Canada doesn't want Americans to come now. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RuthC said:

My husband used to go to Florida for the winter. If he were wanting to come back under the current Florida policies, I am pretty sure I would not want him to come. At the very least he would have to quarantine somewhere nearby before he could come to the house. 
I easily understand why Canada doesn't want Americans to come now. 

If I lived in the Canadian Maritimes I wouldn’t even want other Canadians from other provinces to visit.  They are doing awesome.  I live in B.C. we were doing awesome, got bad, and now slowly getting better but nowhere as good as Maritimes. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

If I lived in the Canadian Maritimes I wouldn’t even want other Canadians from other provinces to visit.  They are doing awesome.  I live in B.C. we were doing awesome, got bad, and now slowly getting better but nowhere as good as Maritimes. 

Our borders are basically closed to Canada and the U.S.  As a Canadian, you can come here for certain reasons but you will need to quarantine for 14 days and yes, we take it seriously.  There are no mask protests here.  We follow the science and so far, so good.

I am hoping this stays true:

8E382B4E-FFC0-4665-8246-C1DDDEEE1E41.thumb.jpeg.cbf1677f1fcb69e8b4f98a4940d4ae6b.jpeg

• Like 7

You really do not have to depend on CNN, Fox, CNBC, whatever.

You simply have to take a long hard look at the numbers.  The comparative numbers.  Then take a look at some of the trajectories that public health experts are projecting for the fall and winter if no  concerted,  coordinated, and science based effort is mounted to stem the tide.

Edited by iancal

2 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

Yes! We had planned to visit (1st time) my daughter in NL in June. Naturally it was cancelled. We watched, and finally decided that we will visit next year. I do want to tour The Rock, not spend my entire vacation in her house, essentially quarantining her at the same time.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2020 at 7:34 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Far too soon to know what is going to be the protocol then. Far too soon. Things are changing too fast.

I agree.  Things closed fast but are, in many places slow to open.

I think the ban on American travelers is one time that Canada got it right.  For us it meant canceling an annual winery trip to Ontario and keeping our dollars home. Unfortunately, our favorite Canadian B&B was forced to sell out because she lost all of her American business.   As to the decent Ontario wines we purchase on those trips we easily replaced them with West Coast USA wines.

Hank

On 10/4/2020 at 5:53 PM, Hlitner said:

I think the ban on American travelers is one time that Canada got it right.  For us it meant canceling an annual winery trip to Ontario and keeping our dollars home. Unfortunately, our favorite Canadian B&B was forced to sell out because she lost all of her American business.   As to the decent Ontario wines we purchase on those trips we easily replaced them with West Coast USA wines.

Hank

I finally got to get away from home for a couple of days, and stayed at a favourite American tourist destination here in BC, Canada - Harrison Hotsprings.  While at a store there I commented to the owner that it must have been a tough year for them with the lack of business from the US.  Oh no, she said - we've had our busiest year yet with Canadians taking "staycations", first with BC residents, and then later with Canadians from across the country.  So yes, we did get it right.  

• Like 6