The Daily for Thursday Sep 24, 2020

richwmn

today is World Maritime Day, National Bluebird of Happiness Day, and National Cherries Jubilee Day  

One way to stop a runaway horse is to bet on him.

Meal suggestion for today - Grilled Loaded Potato Rounds

Drink of the Day - Sunsicle

Wine of the day - PlumpJack Syrah Napa Valley vintage 2014

At Sea Caribbean
Oosterdam destination Willemstad eta 9/25

Balboa Panama Anchorage
Koningsdam

Brindisi Italy Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Malta Opl Anchorage
Noordam

Rotterdam Shipyard
Zaandam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Volendam

Torquay GB
Westerdam

Willemstad
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam

0924World.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  Cherries Jubilee could almost be a meal suggestion.  We need bluebirds of happiness and support for the maritime industry.  So tre on the quote.

Today’s care list:

Mrs Vmax

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

fatcat04's DH dealing with vertigo

Maritime Canada with Teddy

Flooding  from Beta

RIP Gayle Sayres

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Welcome to the Daily, KAKcruizer

Front line health workers

Mask makers

Continued clearing in the Northwest and British Columbia

Happy Birthday, Jasper

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
Typos
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Wired Right: Thursday morning jokes to start your day.

Garden Jokes and Humor: Sunday Funnies 6-24-18 - Dave's Garden

Good morning Rich. Thank you for the Daily. Lots of things to celebrate today. Although I have eaten it before, I have never made cherries jubilee. I believe it has rum, and I do not have it on hand. Looks like a market trip.

Good morning sisters Denise and Ann. Denise I am sorry your cruise got cancelled. Hoping the next one sticks! Hoping there IS a next one!🙄

Father I hope things worked out yesterday at the doctor. Are the stitches out?

Jacqui, did anything get ruined during your storm? My heart goes out to the poor folks who got hit in Nova Scotia and onward. Darn it Teddy! We are supposed to be back to warm 80's and sunny skies this week and weekend. Crazy weather. Crazy 2020.

Yes Roy, may Gayle rest in peace. He was a great player. His last 4 or 5 years were especially heartbreaking for him and family.

Everyone have a great day. Enjoy life, be kind, wear your mask.

• Like 11

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

That’s an interesting combination of days and all worth celebrating 😄 

508F7E08-D920-4EDD-B8B0-BCB84FFD48AC.jpeg.b90cbdfb3a0c635ffbfd21112deb1e4c.jpeg

LOL on that quote.  That is ever so true.

Never heard of a sunsicle as a drink before.  I remember the frozen ones from when I was younger - much younger 😉 

@Seasick Sailor we haven’t moved the dahlias out yet.  They are too heavy with all the rain.  I suspect some branches are broken.  A lot of tree branches are down but that’s an easy clean up.  I’m glad we had moved the car away from the trees 😉  All in all, from what I have seen so far, we did well here.  Messy but no serious damage.

Stay safe and have a great Thursday everyone!  And, don’t forget your masks.

1232E800-2B6C-4953-AE98-5823B3D4B047.jpeg.1f81a30484a9e77910547a748b50eb63.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Denise, another cancelled cruise! I am so sorry. I understand the reasons, but it doesn’t lessen the disappointment. 

We really need a World Maritime Day everyday. And we all need a Bluebird of happiness to make a nest in a tree near where we live.  Not a cherries fan, so I will give that suggestion a miss. Great quote. Interesting meal suggestion.

Prayers to all who need our support.

Shout out to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This superbly rated Napa Syrah has a price ranging from $69.99. - $99.99. Out of my budget range - that is for sure. Subsequent vintages are as highly rated, so you might find a better price for them.

#53 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017 

The Syrah grapes are sourced from two amazing vineyards in the Napa Valley – Hudson in Los Carneros and Stagecoach on Atlas Peak. These unique AVAs lend this wine its signature characteristics. The cool, foggy Hudson vineyard imparts this wine with a smoky, gamey nose layered with white and black pepper along with some floral notes, while the sunny and rocky Stagecoach vineyard lends this wine intense and concentrated fruit aromas of blackberry, boysenberry, and huckleberry pie.

WS94Wine Spectator

Polished and impeccably structured, with blackberry and smoky meat aromas and layered, rich flavors of licorice and espresso that linger toward big but firm tannins. Drink now through 2027.
  • Like 10

Good morning everyone.  Maritime day....wish I were on a ship.  And the quote is so true, for me.  We put up hurricane shutters just so we wouldn't get anymore.

If you like creamsicles, try this Sunsicle Cocktail - In a cocktail shaker, muddle 2 orange wedges. Pack with ice & pour in 1.5 oz Vanilla Rum, 1 oz Sour Mix, 2 oz Orange Juice and 1 oz Soda (club soda, or 7up or Grapefruit Soda... all work well). Shake and strain into tall glass.

Jacqui, wonderful news that you didn't suffer much damage.  So sorry for the people of Nova Scotia. Sorry about the cancelled cruise.  Prayers for those who need them.  Congratulations for our other list. 

Stay safe, practice social distance and wear your mask.  Everyday gets us closer to cruising.

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

forget-the-bluebird-of-happiness-right-n

Thank you Rich for the update and Roy for the care list. 

Glad to read Jacqui is safe after a harrowing, stormy night.

Sad Denise has had yet another cruise cancelled. I think we are all keeping our fingers crossed at this point. 

The Sunsicle sounds yummy!

Despite the gloomy rainy weather outside, today is my birthday and I was given flowers by ds (along with a Frosty from Wendy's last night, I have a weakness for those) and tonight, no cooking for me and the restaurant is my choice. I have a hankering for pho so we will hopefully walk down, weather permitting, to our neighborhood Vietnamese cafe. I have already placed my order with dh for a Publix buttercream cake. You can't go wrong with a Publix cake. 

Hoping everyone has a good, safe day.

• Like 14

Good morning, thanks for the Daily! 

Great quote - I'll remember that if I ever go to a horse race.  I love cherries jubilee; if I know it's on the dessert menu, I'll eat a very light dinner so I can thoroughly enjoy the experience.  I looked up the recipe for the grilled potato rounds - oh, yes, I'll be making those before we cover up the barbecue for the season!  For tonight though, it's grilled ham and cheese sandwiches along with the borscht I made yesterday.  And wine.

Yesterday I was feeling a little (okay, a lot) cruise sad, knowing we wouldn't be on a ship until well over a year from now, so I dug out a shirt I have and wore it.  DH saw it and said "Did you book another one?"  LOL

image.jpeg.9f7325f3a4ff59f03bef3003e9219149.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the list, and even for those who don't think they need them.  Toasting everyone on the celebration list.  Stay well, be safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 17

I learned how to make a Sunsicle during a HAL Mixology class. The recipe that @summer slope posted is exactly the same as the one I got from HAL! 

Birds of Paradise in Malaga -

image.thumb.png.ff1c22455e240dad3c393b464270f06c.png

image.thumb.png.20667fee5528cade58053e53559dc375.png

View from Malaga's Alcazaba and Castle of Gilbalfaro showing the bull ring and the Koningsdam in the distance - 

image.thumb.png.dcbe1e45c5de2ec1a66140e62cd08dbc.png

• Like 16

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Its another warm sunny day, I wish it would stay like this forever.

I miss having cherries jubilee flambe at table side along with bananas foster, those were the days😢

I am having pork chops and corn on the grill tonight, not sure about potatoes.

Happy Birthday @fatcat04

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all.  This is the first (and usually only) thread I go to each day, so hats off to Rich for starting it way back when and to those who show up every day and contribute.   I haven't had a creamsicle in ages, so if the drink tastes similar I am in.  I wonder how much money has been won on runaway horses?   Thanks Roy for keeping the lists - It would nice to see the top one shrinking, my thoughts are with those folks.  

• Like 7

Good morning everyone.

Thanks for this wonderful thread.  A bright spot in my day.

Love the quote.

Happy Birthday @fatcat04!  And many more!

It's sunny and lovely here today.  We have a forecast high of 22C (72F).  I just hung out a load of laundry on the line.

Sending prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Sending Cheers to everyone celebrating something.

Stay safe.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

forget-the-bluebird-of-happiness-right-now-id-settle-for-5097625.png
Thank you Rich for the update and Roy for the care list. 

Glad to read Jacqui is safe after a harrowing, stormy night.
Sad Denise has had yet another cruise cancelled. I think we are all keeping our fingers crossed at this point. 
The Sunsicle sounds yummy!

Despite the gloomy rainy weather outside, today is my birthday and I was given flowers by ds (along with a Frosty from Wendy's last night, I have a weakness for those) and tonight, no cooking for me and the restaurant is my choice. I have a hankering for pho so we will hopefully walk down, weather permitting, to our neighborhood Vietnamese cafe. I have already placed my order with dh for a Publix buttercream cake. You can't go wrong with a Publix cake. 

Hoping everyone has a good, safe day.

Happy birthday! And yes to a publix cake. They make great cakes and we Manage at least two when we winter in Florida

Sent from my iPad using Forums
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

🎉🎉🎂🎂🥂🍾!!!

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY Fatcat04🍰

This is definitely a day to celebrate to one of our family CC members! Have a wonderful day and enjoy that special dinner👍
🌺Good morning Rich, Roy, my sisters Joy and Ann!! Well sorry last night I was alittle upset with another cruise but I am over it again! 7 must be the magic number! I am ok and thanks to all who responded !!

🌺Now I will need to let Jacqui know AGAIN another cancellation, BUT add my new one👍

The wine Syrah just not a fan of reds too much! Now Bluebird of happiness love it! 
Dinner tonight will barbecue steak !! 
❤️Thank you all for such a supportive great group of wonderful friends!

Happy Thursday all!

Denise😊

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Wired Right: Thursday morning jokes to start your day.

Garden Jokes and Humor: Sunday Funnies 6-24-18 - Dave's Garden

Good morning Rich. Thank you for the Daily. Lots of things to celebrate today. Although I have eaten it before, I have never made cherries jubilee. I believe it has rum, and I do not have it on hand. Looks like a market trip.

Good morning sisters Denise and Ann. Denise I am sorry your cruise got cancelled. Hoping the next one sticks! Hoping there IS a next one!🙄

Father I hope things worked out yesterday at the doctor. Are the stitches out?

Jacqui, did anything get ruined during your storm? My heart goes out to the poor folks who got hit in Nova Scotia and onward. Darn it Teddy! We are supposed to be back to warm 80's and sunny skies this week and weekend. Crazy weather. Crazy 2020.

Yes Roy, may Gayle rest in peace. He was a great player. His last 4 or 5 years were especially heartbreaking for him and family.

Everyone have a great day. Enjoy life, be kind, wear your mask.

Gayle was a great running back.  I remember him well. Too bad injurya cuy short his career. His friendship with Briar Picolo was insnspiring.  May he rest in peace.

• Like 3