Wondering about CDC

brenderlou

2 minutes ago, molly361 said:

So that guarantees anyone who thinks that they"may" sail November 1 is not going to

I agree. I think they are trying to get ready to restart for Christmas and New Year’s sailings, which have some of the highest rates for cruises. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, molly361 said:

So that guarantees anyone who thinks that they"may" sail November 1 is not going to

Correct, he didn’t mention which port but Bayley’s exact words were:

"I said that the first cruise that we will operate through, Royal Caribbean International, will be an all employee cruise, a little bit like a shakedown cruise, because then we can test and take a look at in real-life operations all of the protocols that we're putting into place. And so our first cruise is going to be an employee cruise."

Quantum sailing out of Singapore on November 1st, has a better chance of being the first ship to sail.  Harmony out of Port Canaveral on the Nov 1st is the first scheduled sailing out of Florida and has a good chance of being the employee sailing. 

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 1

"I said that the first cruise that we will operate through, Royal Caribbean International, will be an all employee cruise, a little bit like a shakedown cruise, because then we can test and take a look at in real-life operations all of the protocols that we're putting into place. And so our first cruise is going to be an employee cruise."

That's interesting and this kinda what annoys me about what is going on right now. Why not let these lines for the last month or 2 sail with let's say, 50% capacity and work out all these health protocols. See what works, see what needs to tweaking, see what needs to be added, see what needs to taken out, see what needs to be changed. Get all this data on what freaking works.
I am not a denier of what is going on, this is a serious, very serious situation but I also believe there is a way to cruise as safely as possible and to keep everyone involved safe. The only way to figure those things out is to freaking cruise. Each day that goes by without that data, without that knowledge pushed us back further and further.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:

That's interesting and this kinda what annoys me about what is going on right now. Why not let these lines for the last month or 2 sail with let's say, 50% capacity and work out all these health protocols. See what works, see what needs to tweaking, see what needs to be added, see what needs to taken out, see what needs to be changed. Get all this data on what freaking works.
I am not a denier of what is going on, this is a serious, very serious situation but I also believe there is a way to cruise as safely as possible and to keep everyone involved safe. The only way to figure those things out is to freaking cruise. Each day that goes by without that data, without that knowledge pushed us back further and further.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I guess they are taking their cues from Europe and Asia.  European and Asian cruises started back in July and while some were successful, some were not, and lessons were learned from the mishaps.  TUI, partly owned by RCI, have had cruises to nowhere that have been successful so far. Costa (Carnival), MSC, Ponant, Hapag-Lloyd, and Dream have restarted as well with minor hiccups. If it can be done in other parts of the world, it follows that it could be done here as well.  As you stated, it can be done safely if allowed to operate. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Especially disconcerting for the Miami Beach Mayor, which is the most problematic area.  Port Everglades, Port Canaveral and Port of Tampa have a better chance at restarting, IMO.

Tampa might be out because they use small ships

17 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Hahah....that would be me! Yes, I heard those remarks and know that it's very possible. I refuse to give up until the announcement is made and then I will readjust. I was on the next to the last sailing and would love to be on the first out.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Quantum sailing out of Singapore on November 1st, has a better chance of being the first ship to sail.  Harmony out of Port Canaveral on the Nov 1st is the first scheduled sailing out of Florida and has a good chance of being the employee sailing. 

I really don't see them bussing 1000+ employees north 3-4 hours

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

I really don't see them bussing 1000+ employees north 3-4 hours

Good point. I also watched parts of a live video last week from the Port Canaveral meeting, and the Port Director was saying he did not expect cruises to leave out of Port Canaveral until 2021. This was in regards to revenue losses/cuts for the Port's budget. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sandebeach said:

Good point. I also watched parts of a live video last week from the Port Canaveral meeting, and the Port Director was saying he did not expect cruises to leave out of Port Canaveral until 2021. This was in regards to revenue losses/cuts for the Port's budget. 

That's what they keep reporting on the news here in Central Florida.  No cruises out of PC until 2021

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Vera/Lee said:

Six days ago, the President of the CLIA said " Based on what we are seeing in Europe, and following months of collaboration with leading public health experts, scientists, and governments, we are confident that these measures will provide a pathway for the return of limited sailings from the U.S. before the end of this year.”

I’m SURE the CLIA is putting a lot of pressure anyone they can to begin cruising ASAP. It’s in their best interest to do so. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

FWIW, a shakedown cruise doesn't have to be something currently scheduled. It could just as easily be an unscheduled 3 day trip on one of the Oasis ships.

I know  It was kind of a joke.  I really don't see anything happening by the beginning of November😇

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

FWIW, a shakedown cruise doesn't have to be something currently scheduled. It could just as easily be an unscheduled 3 day trip on one of the Oasis ships.

True, they can add and delete as time progresses.  IMO, there will be more deletions than additions. 

My money is on Symphony for the shakedown. 

Edited by livingonthebeach

Statement from Miami-Dade mayor published yesterday urging CDC not to extend no-sail order -- guess Miami is still in the running then for being the first port to have sailings.  Will the NOS expire?  Will the extension be until Oct 31st?  Another date? Never?  Will we hear on Monday? Tuesday? Wednesday?  Is there a betting App we can go on? 

https://www.miamidade.gov/releases/2020-09-26-mayor-statement-nosail.asp

28 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Statement from Miami-Dade mayor published yesterday urging CDC not to extend no-sail order -- guess Miami is still in the running then for being the first port to have sailings.  Will the NOS expire?  Will the extension be until Oct 31st?  Another date? Never?  Will we hear on Monday? Tuesday? Wednesday?  Is there a betting App we can go on? 

https://www.miamidade.gov/releases/2020-09-26-mayor-statement-nosail.asp

Yes I read the press release yesterday. I am kind of hoping that things start moving along. Current Mayor Gimenez is term-limited and running for a new State office. I do not know if the newly-elected Mayor in November will be as supportive of the cruise industry as he has been. 

5 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Yes I read the press release yesterday. I am kind of hoping that things start moving along. Current Mayor Gimenez is term-limited and running for a new State office. I do not know if the newly-elected Mayor in November will be as supportive of the cruise industry as he has been. 

How many Mayor’s do you have down that way. I know you have a County Mayor of Miami-Dade. Miami, Miami Beach. A mayor of the Port of Miami??  I suppose many of the cities within Miami-Dade ?

M8

9 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

How many Mayor’s do you have down that way. I know you have a County Mayor of Miami-Dade. Miami, Miami Beach. A mayor of the Port of Miami??  I suppose many of the cities within Miami-Dade ?

M8

Miami-Dade is different than Broward and has a “Strong Mayor” organization. So each Miami municipality elects a Mayor but Miami residents also elect a Miami-Dade Mayor, who is above the municipality mayors. The Miami-Dade Mayor is over the airport and also PortMiami. 

Edited by sandebeach
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

M8

Each city / municipality in Miami-Dade County has its own mayor along with the mayor of the entire County of Miami-Dade.  I live in Sunny Isles Beach within the County of Miami-Dade and we have our own mayor as well as the Miami-Dade mayor.  IIRC, there are 34 municipalities within Miami-Dade.  The mayors with the most clout are the City of Miami, Miami Beach, Hialeah and Miami Gardens which are the most populated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

A lot of the candidates were eliminated in the primary -- now it's down to two.  Hopefully the next one will follow Gimenez's support. 

• Like 1