2021 Baltic itineraries being changed

susiesan

There is some shuffling around, canceling, and port changes going on with Baltic cruises from all of the cruise lines in the summer of 2021. I was looking at the Princess boards since they have had multiple ships in the Baltic in the past and this is what is happening: most Baltic cruises are now RT Southhampton instead of beginning/ending in Copenhagen and Stockholm. Most of the big ships in the Baltic are not going to Oslo, only a few of the smaller cruise ships. So far, my postponed to Aug. 29 Baltic itinerary on Marina is the same but that could change. I will be getting air in the next few weeks for this cruise, but the flights may or may not go. Princess has also made changes to their Med cruises, eliminating Barcelona and making most 7 day RT out of Rome. Celebrity is also running Baltic RT from Southhampton, HAL is running Baltic RT from Amsterdam. Oceania is one of very few using different start and finish ports.

What may be happening is cruise lines anticipating that Americans and Canadiens will not be able to fly to Europe in the summer of 2021 so cruises are being scheduled to benefit British and European passengers. It is easier to control who gets on a ship if they all embark/disembark from the same port. They could be getting ready to run summer Europe cruises like MSC is doing now with only local passengers.

It is my understanding it’s mostly an issue of crowd/passenger control. For the time being, cruises will predominantly start at ports with large cruise terminals. Time slots are given for embarkment, and port security maintains crowd control by only allowing a certain number of passengers into the terminal and/port and only at their assigned time.

This level of security can not be established and maintained on the Langelinie in Copenhagen or the tent by the park in Stockholm. Once larger ships start going to places like Tahiti, changes at that port will occur likewise. The opportunity for 300+ people to show up and huddle in and around a smallish tent will disappear.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pinotlover said:

It is my understanding it’s mostly an issue of crowd/passenger control. For the time being, cruises will predominantly start at ports with large cruise terminals. Time slots are given for embarkment, and port security maintains crowd control by only allowing a certain number of passengers into the terminal and/port and only at their assigned time.

pinotlover, these revised Baltic and Med cruises are 8-9 months from now. The cruise lines must know something we don't about the state of travel in Europe next summer. This is all being planned even before any cruise line knows whether they will be sailing or not in 2021 in Europe. Airlines are selling tickets now for next summer to Europe but it is still not known if the flights will be allowed. This could impact me on the way to Namibia for a land safari tour next May, already postponed once from this past September.  I have to pass through Brussels with a 13 hour layover. If UA cannot fly to Europe which is where I need to connect to an ET flight to WDH, then I will have to cancel that trip for the second time. 

Marina holds 1200 people, this might prove to be too many for a port with a small cruise terminal. All of this may spell the end of cruising for me. I will just continue on with land based trips, go wherever I can, to counties welcoming visitors. There are a few out there now.

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

go wherever I can, to counties welcoming visitors. There are a few out there now.

If we were 'worthy' of welcome, rest assured they would. But with our leading the virus data, it ain't happening soon. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 8:48 PM, clo said:

If we were 'worthy' of welcome, rest assured they would. But with our leading the virus data, it ain't happening soon. 

You are so wrong. The people who will be running our Namibia safari next May are begging me not to cancel. My safari guide from a Tanzania trip in 2018 is emailing me saying how much they are hurting due to the lack of Americans coming, asking meta come back. The hotels and tour vendors in Tahiti are more than happy that Americans have retuned there now. French Polynesia does not want to see Americans go away again, we are wanted and needed for their economy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, susiesan said:

You are so wrong. The people who will be running our Namibia safari next May are begging me not to cancel. My safari guide from a Tanzania trip in 2018 is emailing me saying how much they are hurting due to the lack of Americans coming, asking meta come back. The hotels and tour vendors in Tahiti are more than happy that Americans have retuned there now. French Polynesia does not want to see Americans go away again, we are wanted and needed for their economy.

I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of European countries. Plus a lot of S. America is closed to us. And Canada of course.  Here's a pretty current piece about parts of Asia:

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/asia-reopening-guide-coronavirus

Oh, right and Australia. Anyway it's a LONG list where we're not allowed.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 9:25 AM, pinotlover said:

This level of security can not be established and maintained on the Langelinie in Copenhagen or the tent by the park in Stockholm. Once larger ships start going to places like Tahiti, changes at that port will occur likewise. The opportunity for 300+ people to show up and huddle in and around a smallish tent will disappear.

The problem with Tahiti is that there is no place left to expand to !   The water front is full of cargo and ferry and the land side is overflowing with development   Bora dis a huge expansion years ago but is out of room  Honolulu too is full... Maui , Kaual and Hilo/Kona..... no more room at the inn !

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

The problem with Tahiti is that there is no place left to expand to !   The water front is full of cargo and ferry and the land side is overflowing with development   Bora dis a huge expansion years ago but is out of room  Honolulu too is full... Maui , Kaual and Hilo/Kona..... no more room at the inn !

FP is its own country and can in part make its own rules. Larger ruise ships , greater than 300-400 passengers, could also decide to wait until 2022, and a hopeful vaccine, for embarkments there.

If cruise Line passengers could be trusted even a little to not show up until their designated times, all this wouldn’t be necessary. We, however, have pages of posts by cruisers that have/had no intentions of showing up at the assigned times, but as early as possible.   Seen passengers, with their luggage waiting at the dock at 07:00 trying to get on for breakfast!

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

FP is its own country and can in part make its own rules. Larger ruise ships , greater than 300-400 passengers, could also decide to wait until 2022, and a hopeful vaccine, for embarkments there.

If cruise Line passengers could be trusted even a little to not show up until their designated times, all this wouldn’t be necessary. We, however, have pages of posts by cruisers that have/had no intentions of showing up at the assigned times, but as early as possible.   Seen passengers, with their luggage waiting at the dock at 07:00 trying to get on for breakfast!

Rules are rules......but I am saying there is no more room tor larger ships  zero, zip, nada, nicht.....You can not fit 10 lbs into a 5 lb bag...... not unless God decides to make a new island........ no more room for expansion ships would have to anchor many many miles away and ferry passengers to port in the pacific.

Dan;

We agree. FP/ Tahiti might not be an embarkment destination for larger ships until after a vaccine is developed. Blows out 2021 effectively .

If you want to do theFP in 2021, it may need to be done on the small ships, even smaller than the R class.

I was sloppy in my definition. It is a Sovereign State of France. That’s why one has a wonderful selection of very competitively priced French wines there. Carrying wines to Tahiti is a waste of luggage space. Great wines at very attractive prices, better pricing than we can mostly get in the US!

• Like 1

For anyone using miles to fly to Scandinavia for a Baltic cruise next summer, I just booked 2 business seats MCI-CPH with UA miles on very good flights/routing. I have never had it so easy to get 2-J award seats to Europe. There is plenty of availability now for next year for Europe.

10 hours ago, susiesan said:

For anyone using miles to fly to Scandinavia for a Baltic cruise next summer, I just booked 2 business seats MCI-CPH with UA miles on very good flights/routing. I have never had it so easy to get 2-J award seats to Europe. There is plenty of availability now for next year for Europe.

At that point, if you cancel, are they okay with that? (We love UA!)

Since I booked LA  to Tokyo October 2, 21 on Regatta( now waitlisted in all categories) I found out I need 88,000 miles for each FC seat on the return one way ..as of now I think I am booking ANA through UA with Chase points but Paul Chili suggested Singapore so when I can book I will check them also..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

8 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Since I booked LA  to Tokyo October 2, 21 on Regatta( now waitlisted in all categories) I found out I need 88,000 miles for each FC seat on the return one way ..as of now I think I am booking ANA through UA with Chase points but Paul Chili suggested Singapore so when I can book I will check them also..

Jancruz1

If I had a choice I would still pick Singapore F over ANA F.

That said, The best Kobe beef I’ve ever had was freshly cooked on ANA F (better even than what I had at French Laundry)

Can’t go wrong with either - get whichever is available. 

6 hours ago, clo said:

At that point, if you cancel, are they okay with that? (We love UA!)

I have the same quandary about booking flights for next springs cruises.  I had booked already with UA but then that cruise line, Cruise and Maritime, went bankrupt.  Now I've booked with Fred Olsen and Oceania, but, of course, different dates.  I need to cancel or change my award tickets with UA but I'm not sure if things won't change again in the next couple of months.  UA had waived fees for all the changes I had to make for this year's trips, but I don't think they can keep doing that next year.

On 10/3/2020 at 4:00 AM, comcox said:

I have the same quandary about booking flights for next springs cruises.  I had booked already with UA but then that cruise line, Cruise and Maritime, went bankrupt.  Now I've booked with Fred Olsen and Oceania, but, of course, different dates.  I need to cancel or change my award tickets with UA but I'm not sure if things won't change again in the next couple of months.  UA had waived fees for all the changes I had to make for this year's trips, but I don't think they can keep doing that next year.

Yes, they will likely be doing that for next year. The airlines are so desperate for any bookings that they are forgoing the money they make on chase fees on both paid and award tickets. Just be sure and make all of your 2021 reservations in 2020 when we know for sure there will be no change fees charged. The fees are based on when you booked the tickets, not when the flights are. At the top of your reservation record you should see the words "travel waiver in effect" which allows you to cancel or change your flights without a fee.

The only thing that could happen if you decide to change an award ticket is you may have to cough up more miles. I made a voluntary change to a routing on a return from a Namibia safari next May. I originally used 80K UA miles each for J but the miles are now 88K. I tried to talk them out of giving up the increased amount  but wasn't successful. There have been other times that I am able to keep my award tickets at the same price even when prices go up. It just depends on the agent you are talking to. You can always HUCA if you don't like what you are being told.

On 10/2/2020 at 11:41 AM, susiesan said:

Agree susiesan.  About a month ago I booked business class with miles on Delta to Amsterdam r/t with no problem.  This cruise is for June 2021.