Dewalt Heated jacket, Alaska

monsters mom

Just booked an Alaska cruise for may of next year. I want to buy a dewalt heated jacket for this winter and I was wondering if anyone has ever taken one on the ship. I called the cruise line and she asked her supervisor and they both said it doesn’t say I can’t as battery’s and chargers are allowed but it will ultimately be up to the security officer and someone else I can’t remember who else she said if it’s allowed. I was just wondering if anyone else has taken one or seen someone who’s worn one. I know it’ll be windy up top and cold. Thanks Brenda

I bought what I think is a fleece?  jacket in the onboard ship. A favorite to this day and was reasonably priced. I live in texas and only had a couple of bulky jackets. It packs up pretty well and was all I needed.

Also I bought ponchos at the dollar store. It poured rain at the national park that has a glacier, dont remember the name. But my dollar store sure enough had them, pack of 2 for $1. They do not pack up well once unfolded but for $1 worth it. Sure glad I bought mine and had it that day. Walked to those falls where you can see the falls 1 mile each way and to some other trails wearing the awful looking thing. Worked. Is not a fashion statement to say the least, but I was told to buy before alaska. 

2 hours ago, monsters mom said:

Just booked an Alaska cruise for may of next year. I want to buy a dewalt heated jacket for this winter and I was wondering if anyone has ever taken one on the ship. I called the cruise line and she asked her supervisor and they both said it doesn’t say I can’t as battery’s and chargers are allowed but it will ultimately be up to the security officer and someone else I can’t remember who else she said if it’s allowed. I was just wondering if anyone else has taken one or seen someone who’s worn one. I know it’ll be windy up top and cold. Thanks Brenda

It isn't listed as something that is not allowed on the ship but I can see them confiscating it if the battery and charger is as big as what I just looked at on the Dewalt site.  They have issues with extension cords, that charging system is going to be an issue.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

I would check out the historic temperatures for the week you are going.  Unless this jacket is something you would use again in the future, it is a lot of money to put out for something they most likely won't allow.  We did fine with a fleece layered with a waterproof outer layer when we have visited Alaska in May.  We are going again in May and plan on bringing the same.

37 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

It isn't listed as something that is not allowed on the ship but I can see them confiscating it if the battery and charger is as big as what I just looked at on the Dewalt site.  They have issues with extension cords, that charging system is going to be an issue.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

I would check out the historic temperatures for the week you are going.  Unless this jacket is something you would use again in the future, it is a lot of money to put out for something they most likely won't allow.  We did fine with a fleece layered with a waterproof outer layer when we have visited Alaska in May.  We are going again in May and plan on bringing the same.

They confiscated my extension cord. I asked why, it was brand new. I had it attached to my electric clock. ... not kidding, they said someone could hang themselves with one. 

I tend to feel the cold, and was happy that I packed as much as I did, for Alaska.  Sometimes I wore a number of layers: silk turtleneck, wool sweater, short down jacket, slightly longer lined rain jacket.  Gloves and ski headband came in handy a few times.

Even though I hate being cold, (and I did spend many hours standing out on deck) I tend to think a heated jacket is being "too well prepared".

So I'm a born, raised, never lived any where else Floridian. I went on the first cruise to Alaska in 2019 - so first week of May. I did it with a snowboard jacked from Columbia. It was two jackets you can zip into one with the outer being wind resistent and water proof and the inner was a puffy-ish jacket that has their omni-heat or whatever that reflects your heat back into yourself. It kept me nice and toasty warm. 

As someone else said layers are your best friend. I definitely went from needing warmth to being too hot so it was very nice to be able to take off a layer or two when I wanted instead of doing all or nothing.

Honestly - a nice pair of gloves and doubling up on wool socks in my waterproof sneakers.

How long does it the heat last and is it waterproof? Kind of pointless if it won't last all day in port or can't charge enough for the next day. And on my May cruise there was some times where either you were walking around in the rain or you were keeping yourself on the boat. 

If flying to get there beware that airlines do not allow certain types of batteries in checked luggage.  You might need to carry them on board the plane.  The jacket and charger can be checked, but many rechargeable batteries are banned in checked luggage.

Edited by twangster

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

They confiscated my extension cord. I asked why, it was brand new. I had it attached to my electric clock. ... not kidding, they said someone could hang themselves with one. 

The correct answer would have been, extension cords are on RC prohibited items list. 

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Consider the facts: 1) they confiscated your extension cord. 2) You did not hang yourself. Clearly RC security saved your life. 🙄

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Great jackets, water and wind resistant, battery lasts up to 7 1/2 hours and the battery barges in under an hour. 

Not bad. Though on my itinerary two of my 4 ports were well over 4 hours. On my whale watching excursion it was almost 6 hours before I was done and that was all either waiting or actively on the tour. The other long port I lucked out in timing and was able to make it back on ship for lunch - if I had lunch in port (I went back largely to drop some layers as the day had started warming up a fair bit) I would have been off almost 8 hours but port time was 12. 

Though there likely are times you can turn it off to conserve the time. My two long days were both the one of the coldest/wettest and the one with the largest temp swing. 

1 minute ago, smplybcause said:

Not bad. Though on my itinerary two of my 4 ports were well over 4 hours. On my whale watching excursion it was almost 6 hours before I was done and that was all either waiting or actively on the tour. The other long port I lucked out in timing and was able to make it back on ship for lunch - if I had lunch in port (I went back largely to drop some layers as the day had started warming up a fair bit) I would have been off almost 8 hours but port time was 12. 

Though there likely are times you can turn it off to conserve the time. My two long days were both the one of the coldest/wettest and the one with the largest temp swing. 

Taking a second battery would also eliminate any issues with long port days. 

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Taking a second battery would also eliminate any issues with long port days. 

Snort. That totally makes sense that's a possibility. Can you tell I last looked into this technology when I was graduating college too many years ago and was like a job where it snows 4 months a year? Lol

I still think it's overkill as a Floridaian (who stuffed her bag as full as it would go) that went there at the same time. I even went in the hot tub a few times. Though admittedly cursed my idea once I was out and running frantically towards the inside. 😂

Am amazed this exists.  Spent a couple months in Fairbanks - February and March.  Insulated boots, layered clothing and a down jacket.  Never needed more and I'm an Arizona desert guy.

Temps in Alaska in May are not really cold.  More likely rainy.  A waterproof poncho and layered clothing are all I ever wore when there in May.  A knit hat and a pair of gloves.

The jacket for shore excursions is total overkilI.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I tend to feel the cold, and was happy that I packed as much as I did, for Alaska.  Sometimes I wore a number of layers: silk turtleneck, wool sweater, short down jacket, slightly longer lined rain jacket.  Gloves and ski headband came in handy a few times.

Even though I hate being cold, (and I did spend many hours standing out on deck) I tend to think a heated jacket is being "too well prepared".

I thought I’d take 2 batteries and then just wear it over a long sleeve shirt. When I got to hot I’d turn it off, then take it off.  My arms get really cold with any wind at all. I wear a sweat shirt almost all summer here except aug. even when it’s 75 I have a hoodie on. I was going to buy one last winter but just never got around to it. I’d wear it at home all the time I’m sure. I have 3 or 4 goose down ski jackets I could take and a goose down blanket I pack in my car even. Thanks for all the replies. 

7 minutes ago, monsters mom said:

I thought I’d take 2 batteries and then just wear it over a long sleeve shirt. When I got to hot I’d turn it off, then take it off.  My arms get really cold with any wind at all. I wear a sweat shirt almost all summer here except aug. even when it’s 75 I have a hoodie on. I was going to buy one last winter but just never got around to it. I’d wear it at home all the time I’m sure. I have 3 or 4 goose down ski jackets I could take and a goose down blanket I pack in my car even. Thanks for all the replies. 

I don't think heated jacket or long sleeve shirt is the ideal plan unless you're someone that's either hot or cold. Heck most of the time even on the ship I was walking around with a shirt/tank and a comfy hoodie/sweater. Even the really sunny day I still needed a wind breaker over my shirt to not have the wind cut me to the bone. 

It was honestly the in between days that were the worst to dress for. If it's really cold just wear everything you have. If it's warm dress down but bring a wind breaker. It's the days that started out just under 50 but ended in the 70s the that throw you for a loop. 

If you're doing the SE Alaska cruise only snow is unlikely, but rain is a very good chance. 

I recommend layers. Some people are in an Arctic Freeze at 75 degrees. Others are swimming in the ocean when it is 40 degrees. for me, I am comfortable in a flannel and shorts until it is below 40 degrees. But if it is 60 with high winds, the wind cuts through me like crazy. It is not easy to plan for changing weather or what you may be comfortable with. Layers work best. Too hot? take a layer off. Too cold? add a layer. 

We sailed to Alaska a few years ago in August.  It was very warm.  I purchased very warm clothing- including snow pants- I must say didn't need anything!  If you take a helicopter on top of a glacier- it is cold- but walking around the towns in August was end of summer to early autumn weather.  Great time to go!  Except the salmon running upstream is almost finished and not a nice (smelly) sight. 

The only day it was cold and I wore a winter jacket, was when the ship pulled near the glaciers and we saw them calving.  Hope that they are still around due to global warming.  It was a majestic sight.  As others said layering-gloves and a scarf are great.

Enjoy the trip.  Hope my children and grandchildren will have an opportunity to see the glaciers some day.

Edited by Cruise a holic

17 hours ago, monsters mom said:

There is absolutely no need for something like that on a May cruise.  Waste of money and too much time and effort spent on batteries etc.  Just get a good down coat and some layers.  It's not like you're going on an arctic survival adventure, no need to rely on very weird clothing.  Alaska's climate isn't much different than Michigan or North Dakota, you aren't going to the north pole....

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

There is absolutely no need for something like that on a May cruise.  Waste of money and too much time and effort spent on batteries etc.  Just get a good down coat and some layers.  It's not like you're going on an arctic survival adventure, no need to rely on very weird clothing.  Alaska's climate isn't much different than Michigan or North Dakota, you aren't going to the north pole....

Actually SE Alaska has far milder winters than North Dakota. Average January low in Juneau is 27F, Anchorage 14F, Grand Forks ND minus 3F. Interior Alaska does get into serious negative numbers, but not coastal. If you are looking for arctic survival adventure there is not going to be any place to recharge those batteries, and when that battery powered toy breaks you will die. Use layers with attention to rain and water protection; you will be in the world’s largest temperate RAINforest. The best coat is not going to keep you warm if your legs and feet are wet and cold.