The Daily for Monday Sep 28, 2020

richwmn

today is National Drink Beer Day, National Good Neighbor Day, and National Public Lands Day

I was part of that strange race of people aptly described as spending their lives doing things they detest to make money they don't want to buy things they don't need to impress people they dislike.
        -- Emile Henry Gauvreay

Meal suggestion for today - Toasted Ravioli

Drink of the Day - Rolling in the Deep

Wine of the day - Double Black Zinfandel Paso Robles vintage 2018

Bonaire
Nieuw Amsterdam

Brindisi Italy Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam

Puntarenas
Koningsdam

Rotterdam Shipyard
Zaandam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Volendam

Torquay GB
Westerdam

Willemstad
Eurodam
Oosterdam

0928World.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Daily,, Rich.  I'll pass on National Beer Day but cherish our National Lands and Good Neighbors.  The quote has a ring of truth to it.  Today's alternate menu recommendation is Spaghetti Pomodoro, Lamb Cutlets, and Pistachio Gelato as I enjoyed in Canaletto on the Oosterdam 3 years ago today at a dinner with @Copper10-8

Today’s care list:

Mrs Vmax

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Burnout at work, especially Live4cruises

Florida as it reopens, likely prematurely

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Fiont Line Health Care Workers

A good Doctor’s report for himself

Yom Kippur

NFL Winning teams

Epley maneuver

Online worship services

Dfish heading for the woods

and 51 years and a day for Cruising-along

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

What an interesting group of days.  Good neighbours are so wonderful to have as are our public lands.  We’re not big beer drinkers but we are sure a number of people will be celebrating 😉 

That quote is certainly true for a lot of people.

I think we’ll pass on the pasta - at least serving it as an entire meal.  A side dish, maybe.

A pretty gloomy day out there.  We are supposed to be getting rain on and off for the next few days and it sure looks like rain out there.  I’m not complaining.  We still need the rain despite the rain Teddy delivered to us.

The trees are turning already and I am sure it is due to stress from lack of water during the season.  There hasn’t been enough frost to make them turn IMO.

Just to put a bit of a smile on everyone’s face missing their cruises for this Monday:

B7415C60-E816-41D0-9D2B-49C7AF3B51A5.thumb.jpeg.931ff5362684e5f40045f960e8c74219.jpeg

Prayers to everyone on Roy’s Care list and a toast to all those we are celebrating.

Have a great Monday everyone!  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good Monday morning.  I think we all need to meet up on a public land, enjoy a beer and be good neighbors!  The quote sums up someones whole life.  I'm happy I loved what I did.

We'll pass on the meal, had pasta last night.

I could not find a recipe for the Rolling in the Deep drink.

Jacqui, that cartoon is wonderful.  A great laugh.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask. 

• Like 16

I do not have a September 28 sunrise photo in my archives.  When I was on the Oosterdam 3 years ago the outside decks were closed and the foghorn was sounding regularly.  I'm posting sunset from September 27; it was probably then the morning of September 28 Down Under:

dusk0927.jpg

Roy

• Like 19

13 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good Monday morning.  I think we all need to meet up on a public land, enjoy a beer and be good neighbors!  The quote sums up someones whole life.  I'm happy I loved what I did.

We'll pass on the meal, had pasta last night.

I could not find a recipe for the Rolling in the Deep drink.

Jacqui, that cartoon is wonderful.  A great laugh.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask. 

Hi Summer slope, found this on HAL website: Rolling in the deep  INGREDIENTS: 1.5 oz Jim Beam Red Stag Bourbon; 1 oz Campari; .5 oz Sweet Vermouth. Combine all ingredients; Shake; Strain into glass with ice; Add orange wheel for garnish. 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Lcubed said:

Hi Summer slope, found this on HAL website: Rolling in the deep  INGREDIENTS: 1.5 oz Jim Beam Red Stag Bourbon; 1 oz Campari; .5 oz Sweet Vermouth. Combine all ingredients; Shake; Strain into glass with ice; Add orange wheel for garnish. 

Thank you Lcubed.

• Like 2

Good morning all,

Toasted ravioli is a St. Louis favorite dish, and in many places it is referred to as St. Louis toasted ravioli.  It is actually an appetizer, not a main dish though if you ate enough of them you could probably consider it your entire meal.  🤭

1383239548197.jpeg

• Like 20

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! 
Roy, I appreciate you keeping our lists! Morning Daily & my Sisters. Hope all are well!  

Another great combo of Days! I might pass on the beer. Love to celebrate my wonderful neighbors and all public lands - Worldwide! That is quite a quote! No pasta for me after all the Italian I enjoyed last Saturday.😎

@Lcubed, thank you for today’s drink recipe! Another potent entry! What a crazy name for a drink.  @kazu, love your photo! Today is a gloomy day in my neighborhood, too -lots of rain in the forecast. Another flood watch for the next few days - mostly along the Intercoastal. We have had some road closures due to tidal flooding, which can make getting from Point A to Point B interesting. 

Prayers to all who need our support.

Cheers to all who are celebrating.

Stay well everyone!

Well this California Zinfandel led me on quite a search this morning. Wine.com does not have it on its site. Wine Searcher provided a great price range of $13 - $15 a bottle and at least a broad description (below) and a very good rating between 86 - 88. Though not always my wine of choice, with the right meal - the price is right.

Paso Robles, California- This full-bodied, elegant wine explodes with dark berry flavors and finishes with cracked pepper spice. Excellent with BBQ ribs, skirt steak, grilled sausages, and pasta marinara.

• Like 15

Good morning, and thank you for the Daily, Rich. Roy, as always, thank you for the consideration of your lists and isn't it always a good thing when the list of celebrations is longer than the list of needs? And thanks as well to all who contribute to this virtual neighborhood and make it an enjoyable place to spend time each day.

Fall popped in yesterday here in Kansas. The temperature dropped nearly 30 degrees, and by evening the wind was swirling leaves that hadn't yet fallen in the morning. Fingers crossed for the small chance of rain that was forecast. We could use it.

Hope everyone has a safe and gratifying day, and may we all find some small way to be a good neighbor.

Lori & George

• Like 10

Good morning all, another glorious summer like day here in the banana belt of Ontario.  The only thing not nice about it is the wasps.  The sayI guess is oh so true and the celebrations for today are all good - especially celebrating neighbours.  I will take a pass on the drink, the toasted raviolis sound okay, probably as an appetizer.  I don't think I have seen that dish on a menu though.  Thanks to Rich, Roy and to all those who contribute to this thread to make it enjoyable each and every day.

• Like 8

Rolling in the Deep is a HAL cocktail found in Billboard Onboard. It is essentially a Negroni made with Red Stag instead of Gin. If you don't have Red Stag, use regular bourbon and add a bit of cherry liquor (Cherry Heering, Marischino, and the like). If you are in the Pinnacle, you might see the same (or very similar) drink called the Seattle Sunset. I quite like them and do make them at home.

image.thumb.png.8f0d1524fbd28631fc9ff784c482b68e.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We've enjoyed public lands for many years by camping on them, and have been blessed with some very good neighbours over the years.  As for the beer - well, we have a tradition of a beer in every port, and I do hate to break tradition!  DH doesn't particularly care for beer, but will order one anyway (a different brand than mine) and he takes the bottle caps home as souvenirs.  I like that he takes one for the team that way.  LOL

The toasted ravioli looks quite delicious - are they deep fried and crispy?  I made a huge pot of chicken soup yesterday, which turned out quite well (some are better than others), so I'm sure we'll be having that for dinner tonight.  It's cloudy and rainy here today (and we had frost again last night), so it'll be a good day to make a batch of buns to go along with the soup.  And wine.

Prayers for all on the list, and even for those who don't think they need them.  Raising of the glass tonight to toast all on the celebration list - which is nice and long today.  Stay well, be safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 9

Good morning all,

Thanks to Rich for starting this thread and ongoing organization and all who contribute.

Never heard of toasted ravioli. I think it deserves exploration. We have leftover salmon from last night, so dinner is set. Roy, you’re reminding me we have fresh pistachios and I think I’ll try my hand at pistachio gelato today. The sleeve is in the freezer still because yesterday had planned to make a lavender gelato to top an experimental peach pie made over gingersnap crust.  

That didn’t happen, because I went further on my morning ride, ( through the local State Park)  and got a flat on the way down. So it took a lot longer to return ( pump it up, ride 100 feet, pump it up, repeat). DH came with a car so I didn’t have to hike-a-bike the last 2 miles.) So no riding the rest of the week as the bike is going to the shop where they can deal with the goop in tubeless tires and fix my derailleur ( as it fell on the wrong side as I was inflating it). 🥴

Unfortunately, due to Covid, it’s out of the question for me to do the usual appointment when they are not busy (to watch the mechanic and do parts of the repair under their guidance. That’s the best way for me to learn the skills, and the shop manager and staff (my “adopted grandsons” are very supportive of it.)

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Overhead Fred said:

Rolling in the Deep is a HAL cocktail found in Billboard Onboard. It is essentially a Negroni made with Red Stag instead of Gin. If you don't have Red Stag, use regular bourbon and add a bit of cherry liquor (Cherry Heering, Marischino, and the like). If you are in the Pinnacle, you might see the same (or very similar) drink called the Seattle Sunset. I quite like them and do make them at home.

image.thumb.png.8f0d1524fbd28631fc9ff784c482b68e.png

You just gave away my secret! That's the list I was going to use for the next few days. Notice Blaze of Glory from yesterday.

Now I need to find another source for the Drink of the Day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

For beer lover's everywhere:

What's funny about coronavirus?

Good morning Rich. The Daily is a great one today! Thank you.

Love the quote,love toasted ravioli and NO thank you for the drink of the day.

Sorry I am late to the party. Had early morning blood work and out to breakfast with Allen. Spent early early cleaning up after our terrible wind storm last night. ☹️

Hi sisters Denise and Ann. Denise I loved the picture of you, Shawn and David. You are all adorable! Ann thanks for wine review, and how was the kayak trip yesterday?

Thanks Roy for care and celebrations and Jacqui for gorgeous pictures.

Our new magnolia tree has many buds and new growth. I am hoping to have some beautiful blooms to share with you. It is very, very, windy today, high of 76. Our little hummers are hanging tight onto the feeders.

Wishing all a fabulous week. Stay healthy. Blessings to all.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, richwmn said:

You just gave away my secret! That's the list I was going to use for the next few days. Notice Blaze of Glory from yesterday.

Now I need to find another source for the Drink of the Day.

Rich, no one will remember today's post tomorrow. Keep up with the drink list. It sounds so fun.

• Like 7

Wanted to share a "neighbor" story.

My previous housekeeper is from Canada, lives in Idaho. Her mom still lives in Canada, has heart issues and very weak, in her late 80's. Our friend went up to stay with her, knew the quarantine requirements. Yesterday her mom was too weak to take the dog out, so our friend masked up, leashed the dog and took her to the ditch in front of mom's place, no one around. The next door neighbor snapped a photo, sent it to RCMP, she was in big trouble. They came and ID checked her, told her they could lock her up in jail, but instead gave her a $1200 ticket. Not following the 14 day quarantine is serious business in Canada!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1