The Daily for Monday Sep 28, 2020

richwmn

7 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Wanted to share a "neighbor" story.

My previous housekeeper is from Canada, lives in Idaho. Her mom still lives in Canada, has heart issues and very weak, in her late 80's. Our friend went up to stay with her, knew the quarantine requirements. Yesterday her mom was too weak to take the dog out, so our friend masked up, leashed the dog and took her to the ditch in front of mom's place, no one around. The next door neighbor snapped a photo, sent it to RCMP, she was in big trouble. They came and ID checked her, told her they could lock her up in jail, but instead gave her a $1200 ticket. Not following the 14 day quarantine is serious business in Canada!

It is serious business for sure especially in some provinces where they are fighting a second wave.

As soon as she stepped out to the ditch that was not her property.  I suspect (hope) if she took the dog out the back door to the back yard it would be ok.  As long as she remains on the property and does not share space with anyone, she should be good although she might want to check the local regulations.

This is the current rule generally speaking:

A52823CE-BDE2-4820-98C0-A306AC1CC8A9.thumb.png.74e0cb8b8db64b82b9a0f21eef4c0b7a.png

A screen shot from https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/2019-novel-coronavirus-information-sheet.html in case it is of help to her.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

For beer lover's everywhere:

What's funny about coronavirus?

Good morning Rich. The Daily is a great one today! Thank you.

Love the quote,love toasted ravioli and NO thank you for the drink of the day.

Sorry I am late to the party. Had early morning blood work and out to breakfast with Allen. Spent early early cleaning up after our terrible wind storm last night. ☹️

Hi sisters Denise and Ann. Denise I loved the picture of you, Shawn and David. You are all adorable! Ann thanks for wine review, and how was the kayak trip yesterday?

Thanks Roy for care and celebrations and Jacqui for gorgeous pictures.

Our new magnolia tree has many buds and new growth. I am hoping to have some beautiful blooms to share with you. It is very, very, windy today, high of 76. Our little hummers are hanging tight onto the feeders.

Wishing all a fabulous week. Stay healthy. Blessings to all.

Great to see you, Joy!

Kayaking was great. We did our against current paddling in the early hours before the humidity kicked in. Then we had an easy trip back. Lots of birds out in the early hours. Some were unfamiliar to me, so perhaps they were just visiting.

Then we had a picnic in the State Park before heading home.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, richwmn said:

You just gave away my secret! That's the list I was going to use for the next few days. Notice Blaze of Glory from yesterday.

Now I need to find another source for the Drink of the Day.

Oops! Heartfelt apologies! It should have clicked that you were using that list....

As compensation, I could email you a list of cocktail recipes I have compiled over the years.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Rolling in the Deep is a HAL cocktail found in Billboard Onboard. It is essentially a Negroni made with Red Stag instead of Gin. If you don't have Red Stag, use regular bourbon and add a bit of cherry liquor (Cherry Heering, Marischino, and the like). If you are in the Pinnacle, you might see the same (or very similar) drink called the Seattle Sunset. I quite like them and do make them at home.

image.thumb.png.8f0d1524fbd28631fc9ff784c482b68e.png

Very cool, but I like this one 😉

• Like 6

Good morning all and thank you for the Daily.  

I love a good *dark* beer but only with pizza, Mexican food, or if it's above 80 degrees.  Then I prefer a nice Guinness. 😄  Wednesday is supposed to hit 77 here, close enough, right??  

Love my neighbors, we all watch out for each other and they're wonderful about watching our house and yard when we're on cruises. They go above and beyond. That toasted ravioli looks really good, I've never heard of that.  Thank you for the picture StLouisCruisers!  Loving the photos of flowers too, my garden is pretty much done for the year so it's nice to see some color!

Sadly a local children's amusement facility (Jump, Rattle & Roll) is going out of business 😞  This is the first to affect us personally, our grandsons love going there and jumping and bouncing on the huge inflatables.  I've been expecting the news, they've had their doors closed since March.  😞  I feel for the small businesses trying to make it through this hard time.  

• Like 9

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your list Roy. 

I love toasted ravioli and we have a local pizza place nearby that has the best. They call them breaded ravioli but they are the same thing. Yummy with marinara sauce as a dipper. 

I really like a cold beer with Mexican food, but only occasionally, I prefer white wine. 

I bought a stroller for Blue so we could go on walks together. 

7EE3D833-CD17-4D3A-9882-AFE617CC7F3A.thumb.jpeg.7d6c369862f439ba391862322a07efa9.jpeg

And we came across this house which was decorated for Halloween. They had a huge Tommy:

1EEA22F9-7567-45E6-8580-18F2A41742D2.thumb.jpeg.7094943c84badb26fefe61c8de94eded.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!!!

• Like 12

54 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! A beautiful sunny day here in the Okanagan. I’m hoping it stays clear tonight so we can see the Northern Lights that are forecast. Southern Canada and northern US are supposed to be prime viewing areas this time, which doesn’t happen often!

Hope you get to see them!

• Like 3

Thanks for all the daily news.  Never had toasted ravioli but sure looks good.  Will have to try.  Not a beer drinker and as it will be close to 80 here this week wine of choice will be a Rose of Pinot Noir.  Usually  prefer red wine but with the heat here in the valley it will be very refreshing.  Haven't decided what dinner will be.  It will depend upon what time I get home from picking up the grandkids from school and when their parents get home.  Traffic is back to normal heavy across the Columbia from Portland to Vancouver.  

Stay safe everyone.  Prayers to all.  Planning on enjoying these last warm days before fall rains set in.  

• Like 6

What a nice thread this is!   Thanks go to Rich and Roy for all they do, lists, information, meals and drinks!  

DD finally went outside yesterday to check on her dahlias after all the rain we have had.  Some had fallen over, so she had to pick  a lot of blooms which were drooping.  She took a large bunch to our neighbour, who has just had cataract surgery, but there were some for us, too!

IMG_5229.thumb.jpeg.0e4867fc0bae05159212f0799d624f99.jpeg

I have finished one large batch of grape jelly (7 jars), I used more juice than was called for, but it does seem to be setting.  The next pot of grapes is boiling away now.  My friend gave us over 12 pounds of his Concord grapes,  I could easily have made it into three batches, but I am squeezing it all into 2.  I'm already worn out!  I think it may be pizza tonight.

Jacqui, @kazu, that is a very interesting list of quarantine requirements.  I wonder if it is your provincial list or the federal one?  Our "visitors" next door certainly did not keep to it!  But no one has come down with anything here, so it's alright and they are gone now.

PS  I see it is "canada.ca" so the federal one.  Wish I had had it when they were here...  I should have checked on line.

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 15

Thanks for the daily, Rich, and thanks to Roy for the Care List.  and everyone celebrating our granddaughter's baptism yesterday! It was a wonderful day and the two kids had a blast just being cousins!  Happy belated anniversary to @Cruising-along One of these days, that honeymoon will be over! 🙂

For today, I'll skip the beer. I hope that I am a good neighbour most of the time. Our public lands are important. I don't like it when our leaders try to sell them off.  😡 (our premier tried that before he was even elected....he had to walk it back, but it showed that we ALWAYS need to be vigilant to protect our public lands.)

I think we'd like the toasted ravioli, but I definitely don't need the added calories. I remember the first time I have deep-fried mac and cheese. Yummmmm.

As or the quote, I don't think that I've ever done that. If I spend money on something, it's for me, not for anyone else....and I rarely spend the money---except for cruising. 😄

A special thanks to everyone who helped us in celebrating our granddaughter's baptism yesterday! It was a wonderful day and the two grandkids had a blast just being cousins! ie....a lot of giggles, running, hiding, and loving. Happy belated anniversary to @Cruising-along It looks like you are halfway through your honeymoon! 🙂 

It's a quiet day today, but we accomplished a lot this morning. My Jewish-learning daughter went to Yom Kippur service, so we drove her into the city. While she did her thing, DH and I bought a new light for the kitchen because the original fluorescent one doesn't always turn on and some paint for the shed. A quick stop at the $200 club (Costco), picked her up and back home. So now....painting for DH, cleaning the house for me....and then a glass of wine and maybe a catnap. 

Have a blessed day, everyone. Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask!

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

What a nice thread this is!   Thanks go to Rich and Roy for all they do, lists, information, meals and drinks!  

DD finally went outside yesterday to check on her dahlias after all the rain we have had.  Some had fallen over, so she had to pick  a lot of blooms which were drooping.  She took a large bunch to our neighbour, who has just had cataract surgery, but there were some for us, too!

IMG_5229.thumb.jpeg.0e4867fc0bae05159212f0799d624f99.jpeg

Those are absolutely beautiful Ann 🙂 

31 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I have finished one large batch of grape jelly (7 jars), I used more juice than was called for, but it does seem to be setting.  The next pot of grapes is boiling away now.  My friend gave us over 12 pounds of his Concord grapes,  I could easily have made it into three batches, but I am squeezing it all into 2.  I'm already worn out!  I think it may be pizza tonight.

Wow - you are really ambitious.  Good for you 😄 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your list Roy. 

I love toasted ravioli and we have a local pizza place nearby that has the best. They call them breaded ravioli but they are the same thing. Yummy with marinara sauce as a dipper. 

I really like a cold beer with Mexican food, but only occasionally, I prefer white wine. 

I bought a stroller for Blue so we could go on walks together. 

7EE3D833-CD17-4D3A-9882-AFE617CC7F3A.thumb.jpeg.7d6c369862f439ba391862322a07efa9.jpeg

And we came across this house which was decorated for Halloween. They had a huge Tommy:

1EEA22F9-7567-45E6-8580-18F2A41742D2.thumb.jpeg.7094943c84badb26fefe61c8de94eded.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!!!

Holy moly! I must have Tommy Jr.!!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Do any of you Canadian posters know when Canada will reopen their ports for cruise ships?

I have no crystal ball but I suspect it will be a while.  Several of our provinces are fighting a second wave.  We are following the science here and, my best guess is that until the United States starts to get things under control, the borders will remain closed and the ports as well.  One forecaster said the borders would be closed until at least March next year, but who really knows?

Hopefully by next year, we will be back to some semblance of normalcy for cruise time.

it will take everyone working together with testing, contact tracing, masks, social distancing, etc.

I am very hopeful for next year and very grateful we live in the Atlantic Bubble right now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Late to the party.,   Good afternoon and thanks everyone! 

@Copper10-8 I’m with you, we were fortunate to hear Adele in Vancouver!  

Not a a beer drinker, thought we had this day already, lol. 

Unfortunately, Canada’s numbers are increasing except for the Maritime provinces.     So goodness only knows when things will return to quasi normal.   The beavers are still in the water though😄

image.thumb.jpeg.d2dd36342b7e81ed9ff8313b38e5c9e2.jpeg

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Late to the party.,   Good afternoon and thanks everyone! 

@Copper10-8 I’m with you, we were fortunate to hear Adele in Vancouver!  

Not a a beer drinker, thought we had this day already, lol. 

Unfortunately, Canada’s numbers are increasing except for the Maritime provinces.     So goodness only knows when things will return to quasi normal.   The beavers are still in the water though😄

image.thumb.jpeg.d2dd36342b7e81ed9ff8313b38e5c9e2.jpeg

Adele is awesome! Ever seen this one? Funny! 

• Like 3