New CDC cruise order delay extension?

jwc1027

Is today the date CDC is to make announcement for possible cruise line cancellation extension? I was just watching news coverage on CNBC and they report should have 

announcement in the next two hours. I'm sure will spark controversy no matter what decision is made.

4 minutes ago, jwc1027 said:

Is today the date CDC is to make announcement for possible cruise line cancellation extension? I was just watching news coverage on CNBC and they report should have 

announcement in the next two hours. I'm sure will spark controversy no matter what decision is made.

That would be nice. Thanks for the heads up. 

6 minutes ago, nikless said:

CLIA still has the self imposed ban til Oct 31.

Which, If the CDC order is lifted or expires, gives the cruise line time to get crew to the ships and quarantined,  get the ships provisioned to sail, notify passengers on ships which won't sail when restart occurs, publish the new protocols, and probably a 100 other things.

• Like 1

The order expires tomorrow - 30 September.  The CDC previously extended its no sail order a few days before expiration.  CLIA no sail extends another month - thanks TeeRick.

Hopefully over the next few weeks we will get clarity on what happens and when.  Jelayne is correct in that it will take a few weeks for the cruise lines to accomplish the many tasks needed for them to resume sailing.

Seems like the meeting today got heated.  According to this, CDC wanted to issue "No Sail" through Feb and Pence said no way.

https://www.axios.com/scoop-white-house-overruled-cdc-cruise-ships-florida-91442136-1b8e-442e-a2a1-0b24e9a39fb6.html?fbclid=IwAR2cTPCLupPvf3bJS8RFEmAmm-K3ziYa7ZPnrrNaoHgDR4cDIh2QThC1CWo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

i would have extended it till next year versus the month to month torture

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don’t think of this as an extension. Sounds like this was an implicit “ban is lifted” moment. All major cruise operators already canceled through October and need roughly 30 days to get started. I think this is the end of the ban and we won’t see another one unless a new administration is elected and a new one is imposed.

Just now, rM3panno said:

I don’t think of this as an extension. Sounds like this was an implicit “ban is lifted” moment. All major cruise operators already canceled through October and need roughly 30 days to get started. I think this is the end of the ban and we won’t see another one unless a new administration is elected and a new one is imposed.

The mew administration wouldn't actually take over until the middle, or end of January.

48 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

Seems like the meeting today got heated.  According to this, CDC wanted to issue "No Sail" through Feb and Pence said no way.

https://www.axios.com/scoop-white-house-overruled-cdc-cruise-ships-florida-91442136-1b8e-442e-a2a1-0b24e9a39fb6.html?fbclid=IwAR2cTPCLupPvf3bJS8RFEmAmm-K3ziYa7ZPnrrNaoHgDR4cDIh2QThC1CWo

I'm curious what would those on this forum have done? extend for one month and re-evaluate?  Or extend a couple of months?

- Joel

8 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

The mew administration wouldn't actually take over until the middle, or end of January.

I’m aware, that’s why I view even a democratic victory as a cause for a new ban. I think that would be viewed as a little too incoherent action from the government. Honestly we aren’t going to shut the whole world down again. The entire premise for shutdown was to prevent hospital overload which this far has been accomplished in the US in almost all cases. 

Thus far it would be hard to find another industry limited as much as cruising.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cl.klink said:

I'm curious what would those on this forum have done? extend for one month and re-evaluate?  Or extend a couple of months?

- Joel

Or just let it end tomorrow and be done with it.  Let us all take whatever level risk we are comfortable with, but also not place the blame on anyone but ourselves if something happened.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, garyl62 said:

Let us all take whatever level risk we are comfortable with, but also not place the blame on anyone but ourselves if something happened.

Sure, as long as you can guarantee that, in your risk taking, you are not putting others at risk. If you become infected, can you ensure that you will not infect others?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rM3panno said:

I’m aware, that’s why I view even a democratic victory as a cause for a new ban. I think that would be viewed as a little too incoherent action from the government. Honestly we aren’t going to shut the whole world down again. The entire premise for shutdown was to prevent hospital overload which this far has been accomplished in the US in almost all cases. 

Thus far it would be hard to find another industry limited as much as cruising.

It would also be hard to find an industry that would have such a negative influence when the virus returns full first, and it will if things are opened up too quick, like  a few months ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, garyl62 said:

The White House overruled the CDC I read. The CDC wanted to. Extend the no sail

till Feb. White House wanted only through what was already self imposed by CLIA Oct.. Cruiseofficials are scheduled to meet at the White House this Friday to present the guidelines the Healthy Sail panel put together. 

It has NOT been updated on CDC site yet/tonight. Eager to see what tomorrow will bring!

Even given the Oct. 31st date, which is what the cruise lines want, so they can start cruising in Nov or Dec, who in their right mind is coming to Florida to cruise since DeathSantis removed all restrictions for Covid-19. No masks necessary, restaurants open at 100% capacity. The U.S. is already off limits to foreign travel, and these moves won't help. The only people that may go would be Floridians, who don't have to fly and stay in a hotel that no longer has to follow CDC guidelines. Good luck with that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

Even given the Oct. 31st date, which is what the cruise lines want, so they can start cruising in Nov or Dec, who in their right mind is coming to Florida to cruise since DeathSantis removed all restrictions for Covid-19. No masks necessary, restaurants open at 100% capacity. The U.S. is already off limits to foreign travel, and these moves won't help. The only people that may go would be Floridians, who don't have to fly and stay in a hotel that no longer has to follow CDC guidelines. Good luck with that.

Indeed who will go on any cruise as early as November? As you say, "I cant get to the sates", and a lot of others are also avoiding travel (Disney just laid off 28,000 after reopening!! Not all in Florida but most were). 

Totally agree with freedom of choice (as long as it's not impacting others) but it would appear that most people are voting with their feet. The extension of "cruise with confidence" makes it an easy choice for a lot of people

Although the cruise companies want to start and there will be some costumers keen to be onboard. Any cruise this early will be more out of principle rather then profit.

• Thanks 1