Looks like one more month of CDC lockdown on ships

oteixeira

On 9/30/2020 at 5:37 PM, JamieLogical said:

I am fascinated by how little people understand about what actually falls under the purview of the CDC. Theme parks, football stadiums, restaurants, movie theaters.... The CDC has no authority over any of those things.

Thank goodness for that 

• Like 2

On 9/30/2020 at 6:55 PM, oteixeira said:

I am just going to say it this way.  Everything else is open, and you can choose to go or not.  There is no reason cruise ships can't be given the same option.  Moreover, they have done WAY more and have way more measures in place to keep you safe then your local walmart, restaurant, all inclusive resort, theme park, etc, etc....

Let the ships cruise.  You don't have to want to cruise, and none of us will make anyone.

I know where you are coming from but I can assure you here in Europe given we are now tightening the protocols no one will be cruising soon without a two week quarantine on their return. Cruising will not start again until 2021 as many predicted last spring!

On 9/30/2020 at 1:55 PM, oteixeira said:

I am just going to say it this way.  Everything else is open, and you can choose to go or not.  There is no reason cruise ships can't be given the same option.  Moreover, they have done WAY more and have way more measures in place to keep you safe then your local walmart, restaurant, all inclusive resort, theme park, etc, etc....

Let the ships cruise.  You don't have to want to cruise, and none of us will make anyone.

How can you say the cruise lines have done WAY more. The healthy sail panel within the last month has just  laid out 74 recommendations . Can anyone be certain the cruise lines have implemented these. 

Some seemed very costly ( ICU type facilities, Specialized Dr., having ports willing to accept ships with Covid, getting Covid patients from point A to point B.)

Agree it is one's choice to cruise or not. The cruiselines just have to have every t crossed and I dotted leaving no grey area. If they fail to do that it doesn't make any difference what one chooses.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/cruise/cruise-after-coronavirus-royal-caribbean-msc-carnival-b1157932.html

"In Taiwan, Dream Cruises has already carried more than 25,000 locals."

😀

Taiwan has only had 540 cases and 7 deaths. The county that my parents live in in the middle of nowhere, rural Pennsylvania has had 400 and 7 deaths. The Vice President of Taiwan is an actual, real life epidemiologist, so they had a big advantage! Along with being an island that was able to completely lock down its borders.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Taiwan has only had 540 cases and 7 deaths. The county that my parents live in in the middle of nowhere, rural Pennsylvania has had 400 and 7 deaths. The Vice President of Taiwan is an actual, real life epidemiologist, so they had a big advantage! Along with being an island that was able to completely lock down its borders.

Yep, bubbles work.

19 hours ago, bmwman said:

I know where you are coming from but I can assure you here in Europe given we are now tightening the protocols no one will be cruising soon without a two week quarantine on their return. Cruising will not start again until 2021 as many predicted last spring!

Rubbish. The fact that ships are currently sailing proves your last sentence wrong. Cruising has resumed and will continue to expand. Honestly....

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bmwman said:

I know where you are coming from but I can assure you here in Europe given we are now tightening the protocols no one will be cruising soon without a two week quarantine on their return. 

What’s the issue with a quarantine?  A lot of people work from home now and the fact that you are quarantined is totally transparent. Or are retired.

We were on holiday recently and spent the first 14 days in quarantine. Not a big deal. More relaxing where you don’t have to worry about being out and about. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

What’s the issue with a quarantine?  A lot of people work from home now and the fact that you are quarantined is totally transparent. Or are retired.

We were on holiday recently and spent the first 14 days in quarantine. Not a big deal. More relaxing where you don’t have to worry about being out and about. 

Honestly i am basically in perpetual quarantine.  I work from home, I only go out to get groceries dropped into the trunk of my car (I never interact with the food worker), for doctors, or to pick up medicines through a drive up (no contact) drug store.  I interact with no one outside of my immediate family.  

Can they make me do less than that?  LOL

• Like 2

On 10/20/2020 at 6:57 PM, bmwman said:

8 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Rubbish. The fact that ships are currently sailing proves your last sentence wrong. Cruising has resumed and will continue to expand. Honestly....

bmwmans' first sentence is absolutely correct. His second sentence, which you have misconstrued intentionally or otherwise, is an opinion shared by many of us....that comment was clearly in relation to cruises commencing in the USofA, not Europe! 😉 

Given that November is less than two weeks away, there is ZERO chance of a resumption of cruising from the USofA before 2021...hopefully a happy new year to all avid cruisers.

15 hours ago, hamrag said:

bmwmans' first sentence is absolutely correct. His second sentence, which you have misconstrued intentionally or otherwise, is an opinion shared by many of us....that comment was clearly in relation to cruises commencing in the USofA, not Europe! 😉 

Given that November is less than two weeks away, there is ZERO chance of a resumption of cruising from the USofA before 2021...hopefully a happy new year to all avid cruisers.

Please show me where in that person's comment the USA was referenced. Take your time, I'll wait.

I won't believe there are no cruises from the USA until the clock strikes 12 on December 31, not a second before. Anything could change before then, you know that as well as I. Have a good day.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 6:08 PM, Cruising Lynne said:

I would go to Florida with restrictions lifted. I wouldn't want to go if everything was closed. I would protect myself by keeping my distance from people as much as possible and wear a mask. I would wash and sanitize my hands often, disinfect my hotel room, and, hopefully soon, disinfect my cruise ship cabin. 

On 9/30/2020 at 6:15 PM, seaman11 said:

iv gone to the beach this summer in nc , been to Atlantic City twice . and this is exactly what i do , purel the light switches, remote , phones, ac controls.  anything i would touch lysol the bed and couch.    im not going to live in fear, just be careful. 

On 10/20/2020 at 6:57 PM, bmwman said:

On 10/21/2020 at 2:35 PM, DCGuy64 said:

16 hours ago, hamrag said:

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Please show me where in that person's comment the USA was referenced. Take your time, I'll wait.

I won't believe there are no cruises from the USA until the clock strikes 12 on December 31, not a second before. Anything could change before then, you know that as well as I. Have a good day.

I cannot do as you ask....but have noted the prior trail of responses, for your convenience. Following these through, it seems even clearer that the reference was to cruises resuming in the USofA. Incidentally, I did not state that the USA was referenced in bmwmans comment as you suggest!😉

Take care. 

13 minutes ago, hamrag said:

I cannot do as you ask....but have noted the prior trail of responses, for your convenience. Following these through, it seems even clearer that the reference was to cruises resuming in the USofA. Incidentally, I did not state that the USA was referenced in bmwmans comment as you suggest!😉

Take care. 

For my convenience. Wow, you have a lot of time on your hands to go through and quote all of those prior posts. I'm not sure how you can simultaneously say "Incidentally, I did not state that the USA was referenced in bmwmans comment as you suggest," and then also say that, and I quote, "that comment was clearly in relation to cruises commencing in the USofA, not Europe!"  Kinda sounds like that's exactly what was meant. Anyway, and this'll have to be my final post on this issue because I do work full time from home and I have deadlines to meet, nobody knows for sure when large scale cruise ships will begin sailing from the USA. You don't know, I don't know, the CDC doesn't know, even the heads of MSC, Carnival, RCI, NCL and others don't know for certain. My hope is that it will be by the end of the year. Anyone who pretends to know the future is a fool, and anyone who follows him is even more a fool. We just all have to wait and see. Have a nice afternoon.

• Haha 1

On 10/16/2020 at 9:01 PM, Formula280SS said:

The CDC isn't the only player locking down cruise ships via a No Sail Order.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/legal-regulatory/carnival-corp-ships-may-need-court-ok-60-days-us-resumption

Well, for an update, the Judge has had a change of heart.  Although not a coalition of Federal, State and Local, the previous potential for Carnival 60-day pre-return requirement appears to have been averted.  Also, to be clear, the Judge really doesn't clear the path, just removes herself as another obstacle.

Judge’s Ruling Clears Path For Carnival December 1 Sailing

Edited by Formula280SS

1 hour ago, Formula280SS said:

Well, for an update, the Judge has had a change of heart.  Although not a coalition of Federal, State and Local, the previous potential for Carnival 60-day pre-return requirement appears to have been averted.  Also, to be clear, the Judge really doesn't clear the path, just removes herself as another obstacle.

Unless I'm missing something, this ruling has nothing to do with with CDC's no-sail order.  Apparently the US Government has a pending case against Carnival for Environmental concerns. This article is about the required "Environmental Safety Plan" (no relation to the CDC no-sail ruling). The environmental safety plan deals with things like pollution prevention, waste management, spare parts, etc. Nothing about Covid compliance.

The judge in this article went from requiring 60 days to 30 days (Cutting the time in half) between when the environmental safety plan is signed  and CCL ships can sail.  All good new for a speedy return in terms of environmental impact, but nothing at all to do with what the CDC's requirements to lift the no-sail order which is, at this time, the biggest obstacle to cruises resuming in the USA.

I just didn't want people getting their hopes up based on the headlines as the Environmental Impact Safety plan has little to do with addressing the CDC's no-sail concerns related to Covid.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23739-carnival-required-to-certify-environmental-status-of-ships-before-u-s-cruising.html

Hope this helps avoid confusion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hamrag said:

Take care. 

although some did say, (no cruising period till 2021.)  i dont recall you saying that 

• Thanks 1