Would you be tempted to try Fred Olsen? World Cruise is half the price on ex-Rotterdam for 2022 vs Zaandam?

Chrisifab

Hiya folks,

Just looking for feedback here. Fred Olsen bought the Rotterdam this year, as most of you know, and today they’ve launched their 2022 World Cruise itenary and pricing for the ship (now renamed Borealis).

It’s more or less the same itenary as Zaandam for 2022 world cruise, but half the price. Zaandam starts at £19,400. Borealis starts at £9,999.

That’s a huge price difference for what is essentially the same ship and itenary.

How many of you would consider 2022 with Fred Olsen on the old Rotterdam vs Zaandam with HAL?

I’m trying to figure out how long I’ve got before I have to jump in and book for a good cabin! 🥴

• Like 1

Yes, I would, but the itinerary is not the best I have seen, plus I don't understand why they picked this ship with only one small pool for a long trip. The Amsterdam, Bolette, would have been much better for this.

Bear in mind that the Fred Olsen product is very much aimed at the British market.

The food and entertainment will not be what you would be served on an American ship. It will be good but perhaps lacking the finesse that HAL can offer. The lead in price is very attractive but bear in mind in this world - you get what you pay for!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

I don't understand why they picked this ship with only one small pool for a long trip. The Amsterdam, Bolette, would have been much better for this.

If planning a 2022 world cruise, I would seriously consider it if my research would indicate that it would be a "good fit" for me.  

Sir PMP, I share your thought about "why the Rotterdam" and not the Amsterdam.  Maybe Fred. Olsen has some plans for changing that aft Lido Deck?  Maybe they plan on utilizing the Borealis' speed potential as compared to the Bollete?  

32 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

If planning a 2022 world cruise, I would seriously consider it if my research would indicate that it would be a "good fit" for me.  

Sir PMP, I share your thought about "why the Rotterdam" and not the Amsterdam.  Maybe Fred. Olsen has some plans for changing that aft Lido Deck?  Maybe they plan on utilizing the Borealis' speed potential as compared to the Bollete?  

Maybe, but I doubt if they will put the aft pool back in..

Wow, you got me excited there for a minute. I would love to pay less for the 2022 world cruise but Fred Olson's really doesn't look much like the HAL 2022 cruise.  There is no Japan, China or Amazon among other things.  

I would certainly look at them in the future though.  We're on Cunard frequently so we're used to and actually prefer more international passengers.  Maybe 2023!

• Like 1

As HAL's prices climb higher and higher (And their ships get larger and larger) we have been looking at alternatives.  Having sailed on CMV before, (And their target market was the same as Fred's )   I would have no problem with Fred going forward, and "if" we could find an itinerary we liked up the Norwegian coast, we would (will) book in a heartbeat.    But then again, we are not the wealthiest people in the world, and are trying to stretch our vacation dollars as far as we can.  If this were not a consideration we would stick to HAL as we like their product.

Edited by FredT
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, colonialinnkeeper said:

I don't think we would consider a new cruise line for a world tour without ever having been on that line before. 

Agree.  I think it would be better if one sailed on a shorter itinerary in order to have some sense as to what the cruise product and on-board experience might be before investing in a world cruise.  

• Like 1

I agree that it would be necessary to try them out on a shorter cruise but their pricing does bring a balcony cabin on a world cruise within our budget. While this itinerary doesn't thrill me, I will be keeping an eye on what they offer in 2023.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Yes, I would, but the itinerary is not the best I have seen, plus I don't understand why they picked this ship with only one small pool for a long trip. The Amsterdam, Bolette, would have been much better for this.

I thought that the ex-Rotterdam was a sister ship of the Amsterdam.  No?  The Rotterdam does not have the aft pool?

24 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

I thought that the ex-Rotterdam was a sister ship of the Amsterdam.  No?  The Rotterdam does not have the aft pool?

They were never identical, although sister, ships. The Amsterdam aft pool was on Lido Deck from the first, while the Rotterdam had her aft pool one deck below, as did the earlier S-class ships. 

Back in 2009 the Rotterdam was renovated (some would say 'butchered') to remove the aft pool, put cabins where she had been, and had a watering trough added on the Lido Deck. It wasn't good for swimming, was too slippery for wading, and generally served no useful purpose. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

How's the food on Fred Olsen?....and is it "all inclusive" similar to HAL?

Not sure about the food but HAL is not considered all inclusive.  You pay tips, drinks, speciality restaurants, excursions etc separately.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

How's the food on Fred Olsen?

NOT having sailed Fred,  but having a number of friends who have, I understand that the food is good.....But very "British" in both selections and taste.  

Fred Olsen Cruises has certainly caught our attention by acquiring the Rotterdam and Amsterdam.  I just went to their web site and noticed the ex Rotterdam, now Borealis, world cruise is possibly booked as it reads: "call for details", rather than a price.  Most of the prices listed are considerably more than 100 pounds per day or $130 US for an inside room pp. Gratuities are extra.  A glass of house wine is 4.35 pounds or about $5.70 US.  I would seriously doubt dining and service is equivilent to Holland America's.  So if the fares are about the same as HAL, I guess there would not be enough incentive to "jump Ship" to Fred Olsen.