Cancelled Nov 1 - Dec 31 from all but Florida

Lee Cruiser

I really hope those of you with holiday cruises from Florida will get to sail! I tend to think all cruises are going to end up getting canceled though for November and December. 😏 I’m trying to focus on our 2021 Christmas cruise, so I don’t get so sad about missing this year’s!

9 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have texted with several crew members (all bartenders) over the last few days and none of them have been contacted (or know other crew members who were contacted) about a firm return to work date. Several of them were previously contacted about possibly returning to work in January, but nothing concrete. While personally I think cruise lines should be allowed to resume operations from US ports soon, the reality seems to be we are still a long ways from cruising resuming from the US. 

As we used to say in the Marines, "this is an indicator," - if nobody you know (who knows anyone else) has gotten firm return to work dates...then...I'd say...Carnival is hedging and trying to "multi option/late decision" which is why they sent all of us that letter offering $600 p/cabin OBC for proactively cancelling. 

I'd much rather cruise, but...per the tone of their letter, I'd rather have stable holiday plans (though it's just me and the dog, and she's not cruising)

5 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I really hope those of you with holiday cruises from Florida will get to sail! I tend to think all cruises are going to end up getting canceled though for November and December. 😏 I’m trying to focus on our 2021 Christmas cruise, so I don’t get so sad about missing this year’s!

I believe cruises are going to be cancelled for far longer than just thru December. Unfortunately I think this is becoming more about politics and less about can cruise lines keep passengers safe during a cruise, which MSC has already shown is possible. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/3/2020 at 5:46 PM, MauiWowie57 said:

As we used to say in the Marines, "this is an indicator," - if nobody you know (who knows anyone else) has gotten firm return to work dates...then...I'd say...Carnival is hedging and trying to "multi option/late decision" which is why they sent all of us that letter offering $600 p/cabin OBC for proactively cancelling. 

I'd much rather cruise, but...per the tone of their letter, I'd rather have stable holiday plans (though it's just me and the dog, and she's not cruising)

OR....   the folks she knows do not know EVERYONE in the industry.  

I used to work for Walt Disney World and anytime anyone heard that I worked there, they asked me if I knew "so and so" who works in Epcot or at Magic Kingdom or works in the warehouse at the Polynesian.  there are thousands of employees (or as Disney calls them "Cast Members") and you cannot possible know all of them.  

Just because this one person hasn't heard anything doesn't mean that NOBODY has.   If they are starting off with just two ports, there's a large percentage of crew that aren't going to hear anything, because their home ports /home ships are not sailing.

1 minute ago, bafinegan said:

Or maybe they have sold enough cabins to put them over the 60% capacity nd are trying to get volunteers to cancel/reschedule their cruises so mandating won't be necessary...

baf

Another possibility. Overselling is very common with airlines, hotels and cruise ships. Princess offers very attractive move over offers and move down offers. The offer to cancel with onboard credit is a way to convince some already thinking about canceling.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Cruise was cancelled. 

I'd already cancelled once CCL 'invited' me to; I'd thought I'd chosen the FCC option, but when I called to rebook in late 2021, turns out I'll get the 'cancellation penalty' portion in the form of a FCC, and the rest is going back to the credit card.  I still get the $600 OBC.  I'd rather have taken the cruise, but I understand.