Alaska Balcony Question

bubbapuck

I am going on the Crown Princess next summer to Alaska. I have a few balcony questions for people who have been on a balcony on an Alaskan cruise. 

1) I am curious which side of the ship is best for a balcony. The cruise starts and ends in LA so it isn’t a North or South bound cruise where the side is obvious. 

2) How much light gets in when the blinds are closed? My wife is a very light sleeper and hates sunlight waking her up. Will it be fairly dark when the blinds are closed?

3) Does the balcony and the large glass window cause the room to be too cold in an Alaskan Cruise?

4) I know everyone says it is worth it. I am sure the views are beautiful but my wife and I are in a tight budget. We have been saving for many years for this cruise and the extra $1500 for the balcony, while it can be obtained, would be putting us very stretched for the next 8 months. Is it “stretch yourself by the seat of your pants for 8 months” worth it? I don’t want to deprive ourselves for 8 months for a 2 week splurge. 

Any tips or advice on cabins for the crown princess would be appreciated. 

Let’s address question #4 first.  If it’s important not to financially overextend yourself pick an ocean view or inside cabin; you can save a lot on an inside.

Q1.  It doesn’t much matter which side of the ship you’re on, no matter what cabin you choose.  Besides, much of the viewing will be done from promenade or upper deck.

Q2.  Sleeping/darkness should not pose a problem.  If you have a verandah or ocean view the drapes do a good job of blocking light.  If you choose an inside cabin, it will be plenty dark!

Q3.  No.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, bubbapuck said:

I am going on the Crown Princess next summer to Alaska. I have a few balcony questions for people who have been on a balcony on an Alaskan cruise. 

1) I am curious which side of the ship is best for a balcony. The cruise starts and ends in LA so it isn’t a North or South bound cruise where the side is obvious. 

I like the port side but, either side or even an aft cabin is great.  

2) How much light gets in when the blinds are closed? My wife is a very light sleeper and hates sunlight waking her up. Will it be fairly dark when the blinds are closed?

Each cabin will have sheers and black out curtains.  The black out curtains will work pretty well but, there will be some light getting through on the sides, bottom and middle.  You  can always take a clip to hold the middle together.  And, my advice, if your wife needs total darkness, there are some very comfortable sleep masks available.  

3) Does the balcony and the large glass window cause the room to be too cold in an Alaskan Cruise?

No!  We've never found that to be the case.  If you keep your balcony door closed, the temperature is pretty consistent in alignment with how you set your cabin's thermostat.  

4) I know everyone says it is worth it. I am sure the views are beautiful but my wife and I are in a tight budget. We have been saving for many years for this cruise and the extra $1500 for the balcony, while it can be obtained, would be putting us very stretched for the next 8 months. Is it “stretch yourself by the seat of your pants for 8 months” worth it? I don’t want to deprive ourselves for 8 months for a 2 week splurge. 

We've been to Alaska over a dozen times in all different cabin types.  I will say that if you are ever going to splurge on a balcony, Alaska is the itinerary to do it.  However, the balcony cabins are really expensive in Alaska ... and for good reason.  We've also been in Alaska in inside and obstructed oceanview cabins and have had wonderful experiences.  When  you are out on deck or in port, it really doesn't matter what type of cabin you have.  Do whatever you feel comfortable with in terms of your budget and maybe book a room that is close to an outside area, like the inside forward cabins on the Lido deck or a good obstructed OV cabin on the Emerald deck.  

I would steer clear of the cabins on the Riviera deck if you cherish a quiet cabin.  Also, if you are sailing from LA roundtrip, we aware that the waters can be very rough, especially when sailing north in the Pacific.  If you get seasick, I'd book a cabin on the Emerald deck, midship for an obstructed OV and a aft cabin on the Caribe deck, category BD, as close to midship as you can get.  The balconies on that Caribe deck are the best but, the midship ones will cost you a lot more money.  

Take sunscreen as well as rain gear, you just never know what kind of weather you will get.  We've been very lucky on our numerous times up there and only had one sailing that has incredibly nasty weather ... and yet, it will still go down as one of the best cruises on which we've cruised.  PS .... that cruise, we were in an inside cabin.  

• Thanks 1

You might think about booking an obstructed view cabin on the Emerald deck.  There are a few midship in the OV catagory that don't appear to have a lifeboat blocking the view.  They are less expensive than a regular outside cabin, but you will still be able to have some sort of view and at the same time getting light in your cabin.  

• Thanks 1

While a balcony would be nice I see no reason to strain the budget. We've sailed Alaska 3 times so far and each time has been in an inside cabin. We spent a lot of time on deck and saw what we wanted to see. We're sailing Alaska again (hopefully!) next September and this time we are in an Obstructed Ocean View. However, we booked one of the "obstructed" cabins with no actual obstruction. Since you said you are on Crown Princess you can look HERE and see what the actual obstructions are for each cabin. Like I said above, some of them really aren't obstructed at all but you still get the lower price. (On our September sailing we booked with the full Princess Plus package. If we booked the same thing the cheapest balcony would be $700 more per person.) To find Obstructed Ocean View cabins you have to select the "Inside" category first and then you can see them. Here is an example of an "Obstructed Ocean View" on Crown that isn't actually obstructed:

image.png.28fcbe292d6b45c772d0eed4bb9785b3.png

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2

We had a corner aft on the Grand (also on Emerald to Mexico) and it is the BEST honestly. We were covered and never had a hot patio area being where we were. We had the best of both sides. When we were at the glacier, we went up top for a while, went back to our room, when the boat was turned AFT to the glacier, we were full view and watched it get smaller in the distance leaving Tracy Arm. It was BEAUTIFUL!  

• Like 2

Agree with Katwoman007:  C752/C753 - Hands down the best - either one are corner aft with 270 degree views, large balcony, covered, quiet.  It's like you have your own cruise ship back there.  While it is a walk to anywhere, that makes it the quietest (except for the wake noise - DW says it's like being at the beach).  And with the extra sea days out of LA you will have more than enough time to enjoy your balcony!

C752:

IMG_2629.thumb.JPG.8a89275ce4846f2d0985a0428426ba51.JPG 

Edited by Ferd Berfle
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Let’s address question #4 first.  If it’s important not to financially overextend yourself pick an ocean view or inside cabin; you can save a lot on an inside.

Q1.  It doesn’t much matter which side of the ship you’re on, no matter what cabin you choose.  Besides, much of the viewing will be done from promenade or upper deck.

Q2.  Sleeping/darkness should not pose a problem.  If you have a verandah or ocean view the drapes do a good job of blocking light.  If you choose an inside cabin, it will be plenty dark!

Q3.  No.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to decide this weekend but overall, I am thinking inside will be best for the situation. As part of my Sun cancellation, I will be getting $1100 and while it brings me close to a balcony. I still would have to find another $1300 or so. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bubbapuck said:

Personally I would not stretch my financial situation for a balcony. No temporary vacation experience is worth longer term financial stress. While a balcony is nice you really don't spend much time on it in Alaska. You might be better off if you select an outside view or interior cabin. There are plenty of outside viewing areas on the Crown Princess in public areas. These are where most of the passengers spend their viewing time. 

Don't underestimate the amounts you will be spending on board. May be more than you expect. Just a few drinks per person per day add up to $40/$50 per day. Tours also are really costly. 

The large balcony glass sliding door will not make it cold. Each cabin has a thermostat.

Cabins have black out drapes, not blinds. Our experience is pretty much total darkness when the drapes are fully closed. We & many others pack a small night light. 

Either side is fine for a balcony.

This site has photos of the views from deck 8 outside view cabins.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Crown-Princess

Some tips on saving $$. Each passenger 21 & over can carry on 1 x 750ml bottle of wine for use in the cabin with no charge. If this bottle is brought to a public area you will be charged a corkage fee of $15/bottle. Many passengers pour the wine into a glass and carry that around. You are also allowed to carry on as much non-alcoholic beverage as you like, no charge. These can be used anywhere on the ship. The ship's water is fine for drinking, but if you are attached to bottled water you can pre-purchase in the cruise personlizer for a little over 50 cents/bottle.

Princess' current "plus" promotions include unlimited wi-fi, daily gratuities of $14.50/pp, free cabin upgrades, and the premier beverage package. It's around $40/day/pp extra over the no frills fare. Work out the math. Could be less expensive in the long run. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bubbapuck said:

Are you sure it is the Crown Princess and also sure it is from LA. So far I can only find cruises departing from San Fransisco-Seattle-Whttier & Vancouver and the Crown is not one of the ships.

Theo

Theo

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Renmar said:

Are you sure it is the Crown Princess and also sure it is from LA. So far I can only find cruises departing from San Fransisco-Seattle-Whttier & Vancouver and the Crown is not one of the ships.

Theo

Theo

look a few threads below - LA cruises back on - also started by Bubbapuck

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Renmar said:

Theo

Theo

The Princess site doesn’t reflect it but the schedule at the port supports it...

9841CA07-9D35-4C8E-81BD-37A9ECCEFB76.thumb.png.6cdb1059e7d5575d2b88e55887714eee.png

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, voljeep said:

look a few threads below - LA cruises back on - also started by Bubbapuck

29 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

The Princess site doesn’t reflect it but the schedule at the port supports it...

9841CA07-9D35-4C8E-81BD-37A9ECCEFB76.thumb.png.6cdb1059e7d5575d2b88e55887714eee.png

Ahh, no wonder I could not find it on the Princess website. Makes me wonder if the the Crown is used to for people that had their Alaska cruises cancelled in 2020.

As for the cabin choice; OP try to get either E416-417-632 or 633 on the Emerald deck. They are classed as obstructed but the are not and are only slightly more than an inside. On the Princess website you have to click on Inside cabins to get the price for the obstructed view cabins.

Theo

• Thanks 1

Another vote to consider the "obstructed" ocean view cabins.  These are often priced similarly to inside cabins, and if you check the link Thrak provided you can see that many of the Emerald deck cabins are not really obstructed at all.  (Thank you, Renmar!)  You can see what's outside without spending the extra money for a balcony.  While a balcony is nice for Alaskan cruises, you will want to go up on deck to see as much as possible from all sides, especially when viewing glaciers or spotting whales and other sea creatures.  For me, I would enjoy the cruise more if I were in affordable accommodations that allowed me to spurge on other expenses, such as one of a kind excursions you can find only in Alaska.  Good luck!   I predict that you will love Alaska whatever you decide!

I understand your excitement and also your concerns about the budget.

Please also remember (which you may already know and acted accordingly),

that there will be other expenses such as for your shore excursions, a meal

on shore, souvenirs, etc.

The Crown has Skywalker's lounge and it has fantastic views whether you are

inside or just outside this area.

Have a great time!

17 hours ago, Ferd Berfle said:

Agree with Katwoman007:  C752/C753 - Hands down the best - either one are corner aft with 270 degree views, large balcony, covered, quiet.  It's like you have your own cruise ship back there.  While it is a walk to anywhere, that makes it the quietest (except for the wake noise - DW says it's like being at the beach).  And with the extra sea days out of LA you will have more than enough time to enjoy your balcony!

IF booking a balcony I agree that these are great cabins. We sailed in C752 (port side) and absolutely loved it. There is, however, a caveat: We were on another sailing (28 days Hawaii/South Pacific) with a couple who had that cabin and absolutely hated it. Tastes differ.

Edited by Thrak

So excited to hear good things on C752! We booked it on the Crown for a Panama trip in 2022. We have had aft facing before and while my husband didn’t care for the long walks to the room, he’s sacrificing for me!!!

Good luck with whatever room you decide to book and safe travels!

Diane

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on starboard side and had no complaints. The night before we cruised the Inside Passage I brought a large pool towel up to the cabin and ordered room service breakfast. So as we’re cruising through he Passage, listening to naturalist on tv, we were enjoying breakfast at our ‘table clothed’ balcony table watching the little icebergs float by. Yes it was cool but we were prepared and worth it. Delightful! Have a great trip. 

I just have to chime in.  For our cruise to Alaska in 2016 I worked very hard to find a minimally obstructed "obstructed view (OV)" cabin on the Crown.  We ended up with E419 on Emerald deck.  We were happy with the cabin, but after one night we were surprisingly moved to a balcony cabin due to some deficiencies in the bathroom that we didn't even notice.  The balcony was nice, but completely wasted on us.  We rarely ventured on the balcony and spent most of our time either in the port or on one of the open upper decks.  So if you are on a tight budget, I recommend an OV or even inside cabin.

• Like 1