Do you still miss cruising?

ilikeanswers

31 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Australia just had our yearly budget announcement and one of things mentioned was that international travel is not expected to restart till middle of 2021 and it will probably be restricted to a few countries. We were planning another European trip next year but it looks like we are going to have to shelve it and bring out our closer to home plans 🙄

Well, on the positive side, I am saving a lot on travel this year and (presumably) next. It will make it less painful to pay those smaller ship prices for upcoming cruises. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

And to think, Carnival was ready to cruise in August and had people lined up to book the cruises.🤦‍♂️

And remember back in March, we were all aghast at shutting down for two weeks just to flatten the curve.  Little did we know.  haha  

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

And remember back in March, we were all aghast at shutting down for two weeks just to flatten the curve.  Little did we know.  haha  

And who ever thought we'd compliment people on their masks????

On 10/2/2020 at 7:38 AM, ilikeanswers said:

As time goes on without a cruise do you find yourself missing cruising more or have you gone the opposite and realised you are not as attached to cruising as you thought you were?

I miss cruising. It’s my favorite form of travel because I love being out at sea. 

It makes no sense to be on Cruise Critic, particularly those who log on every day, if one doesn’t miss cruising. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I really miss being on ships.  From being on my dad's ships when I was a kid to going on various cruise ships as an adult, I feel like 1/2 of my life is missing.   Since dad spent so much of his working life on ships, he learned to look forward to meals where he could relax and enjoy good conversation with friends.  At breakfast, he'd be talking about what he was going to have for lunch and at lunch, he'd be thinking ahead to dinner and at dinner he'd talk of the next breakfast.  My mother used to roll her eyes at such talk.  And in the midst of the quarantine, the old Captain died at age 95, suddenly, unexpectedly and without fear, just after eating lunch while he was still sitting at the table. Surely his death was a reflection of the many good and heroic acts he performed during his life.  He was laid to rest in his last dress uniform as he had requested.  

Someday, when we can cruise safely again, I'll return to the sea, where I feel closest to my father.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

I miss cruising. It’s my favorite form of travel because I love being out at sea. 

It makes no sense to be on Cruise Critic, particularly those who log on every day, if one doesn’t miss cruising. 

For me it distracts from important things. Vacations are discretionary.

4 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I would assume it would be both ways as usually any travel bubble agreement would require a reciprocal arrangement. 

Seems reasonable once things are going again. 

What I find interesting is that the federal government in Australia has pretty much eliminated all foreign travel regardless of whether or not a country will accept Australians: https://usa.embassy.gov.au/news/covid19-stay-informed

"COVID-19 - BAN ON DEPARTURE FROM AUSTRALIA

The Australian Government advises all Australians do not travel overseas at this time. This is the highest advice level (level 4 of 4). On 24 March the Prime Minister announced a ban on all overseas travel, with few exceptions. The ban will help prevent travellers returning to Australia with coronavirus."

It's an understandable policy even if it gives the civil libertarians pause.  Canada on the other hand just advises against it:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html#a3

"Travellers departing Canada

Canadian citizens and permanent residents are advised to avoid all non-essential travel outside of Canada until further notice to limit the spread of COVID-19.

The best way to protect yourself, your family and those most at risk of severe illness from COVID-19 in our communities is to choose to stay in Canada. Contact your airline or tour operator to determine options for cancelling or postponing your trip."

The US is similar to Canada with the difference being that we typically ignore these types of warnings.  This behavior cuts across all groups as our culture norms suggest that "rules are meant to be broken."   Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes it's not...

Yes... holidays   and thus cruising are optional,

but to some it is a change of scenery...  or simply a change from doing the same thing everyday...

see new things..... for us holiday are important... part of apartment living, is to being able to lockup and leave..

In the current situation here in Melbourne Australia... we have been anywhere since March this year.....

and for the last month not more that 5km from home...

So with that said.... yes We Miss Cruising......  so for a little light at the end of the tunnel, we have book a cruise for November 2021  out and back Australia only... finger crossed.... and we only use FCD... not our own money.

Just looking forward to getting away..... well any where   out of the city..     One is just over lockdown.....

Don

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

What I find interesting is that the federal government in Australia has pretty much eliminated all foreign travel regardless of whether or not a country will accept Australians: 

The Spanish Influenza has something to do with that 😂. To cut a long story short after that pandemic a centralised legislation was brought in for times of epidemics. It is certainly not a perfect system as we have seen but it is why we can do something like ban all travel vs making it a suggestion. 

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

The Spanish Influenza has something to do with that 😂. To cut a long story short after that pandemic a centralised legislation was brought in for times of epidemics. It is certainly not a perfect system as we have seen but it is why we can do something like ban all travel vs making it a suggestion. 

And I think Australia is smart as hell.

I miss cruising.

I miss travel too.

I do hope when I think it's "safe" to travel again, I won't get quarantined or travel disrupted because of someone insisting on doing things their way and ignoring virus mitigation protocols.

I hope I don't wind up missing my health because of someone else's agenda.

• Thanks 1

Are we still following the science?

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/who-official-urges-world-leaders-to-stop-using-lockdowns-as-primary-virus-control-method

Interesting that among the reasons for ending lockdowns is the devastation to the travel and leisure market and the tourism industry in the Caribbean and elsewhere, things close to our hearts.

21 hours ago, clo said:

For me it distracts from important things. Vacations are discretionary.

Cruising may be discretionary but not so much vacations. They are a very important part of the mental health cycle. The travel restrictions of the last few months have accounted for volumes of negative mental health outcomes, from depression to domestic abuse to suicide. People need occasional relief and movement. The toll of this virus is not only economic.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

The travel restrictions of the last few months have accounted for volumes of negative mental health outcomes, from depression to domestic abuse to suicide. 

Sorry, but domestic abusers do not get a pass because of COVID. Normal people do NOT take out their aggressions on others and do NOT get to use this as some kind of excuse for their sick behavior.

There are healthy ways of handling stress even during lock-down situations.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Sorry, but domestic abusers do not get a pass because of COVID. Normal people do NOT take out their aggressions on others and do NOT get to use this as some kind of excuse for their sick behavior.

There are healthy ways of handling stress even during lock-down situations.

But domestic abuse cases are definitely higher now. That is not an excuse, just a fact. My point being that the victims have less opportunity for relief. You make a good point that this is sick behavior and there are also less opportunities for intervention and behavior change now.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Cruising may be discretionary but not so much vacations. They are a very important part of the mental health cycle. The travel restrictions of the last few months have accounted for volumes of negative mental health outcomes, from depression to domestic abuse to suicide. People need occasional relief and movement. The toll of this virus is not only economic.

Some have and  never  will  be  able  to  afford  any vacation.  Hopefully  you  know  that.

21 minutes ago, clo said:

Some have and  never  will  be  able  to  afford  any vacation.  Hopefully  you  know  that.

It is funny how we all worry about ourselves but hardly ever seem to care about the crews of these ships and the financial devastation this has wreaked on them.

Hopefully when sailing resumes people will NOT remove the automatic gratuities but will be very generous with extra gratuities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We do not miss cruising at all.  We do miss travel.  We are fortunate to have the health to enjoy other forms of travel-most often independent land travel.  Certainly we enjoy cruises but we are not pining away for one. Our travel planning post covid has been centered around land travel.   Since retiring, cruises only become an option once we have have our land plan established, and more often than not when we are in the midst of our land travels.

We are just thankful that we are safe and sound at home,no illness in our immediate family and no financial impact on us.  Many others in our community cannot say that.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the cruise industry when we come out of the other end of this.  Some changes so far however I suspect that major changes and impact to the cruise industry is yet to come.

There is one given.  We are certainly not about to risk our health and well being in order to board a cruise ship. If it is a year, fine.  Two years, fine.  Not even interested in the so called early cruising precautions.  If we cannot enjoy cruising in the manner that we have in the past then we will pass in favor of other options.

Edited by iancal
  • Thanks 2