Anyone else just giving up on a cruise for a while?

Duanerice1

I know most of us on here are chomping at the bit to get on a cruise, otherwise we wouldn't be on Cruise Critic.  I see a lot of people willing to go ahead as soon as the lines start cruising.  But as anxious as I am to cruise and looking at some of the great deals out there (sadly not Celebrity), I still can't pull the trigger and book one.

I'm not cruising until things get back to "normal", whatever that is going to be.  I'm fine with lot's of disinfectants, staff serving me at a buffet, etc.  But I'm not wearing a mask on a cruise or not being able to go to a show because of social distancing,  or sit in a bar, etc.   I'm not going to take a ships excursion or not be able to walk around in port on my own.  Oh and it's not about having to wear a mask, social distancing, etc. as I abide by those protocols now.  It's not that I'm afraid to catch Covid (but don't want to, lol).  But that's not a cruise I want to be on.  

If other people want to cruise, more power to you and I hope you have a blessed time.  It's just not the vacation for me right now.  If the cruises were half price..... I might consider but not sure I'd even go then.  Cruises will get back to somewhat normal.  It's not if, but when.  It might be 6 months, might be 2 years.  And yea, there will probably be some protocols in place but not much.  Six months after most of the population has a vaccine, most things will be back to the old normal.  People tend to forget......

We are leaving next week for 8 nights in a cabin outside of Blue Ridge GA.  Lot's of hiking, sitting in front of the fireplace on the patio and just exploring the area.  

Be safe all with whatever you choose to do!

Duane

Edited by Duanerice1
spelling
  • Like 17

I'm not up for those restrictions on a cruise to a place where I want to explore.  A cruise to the Caribbean, where I never get off the ship any more, is a different story.  I can drive to the port and spend lots of time on my balcony.  Someone else will do the cooking and cleaning.  That I can do.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Well we have a booking on Reflection British Isles in July, which I still think might be an iffy time frame, however everything we booked can be cancelled.

We also have the Apex TA out of Barcelona in Oct 2021, which I think is much more realistic to get on. We still have not been in a sit down restaurant here in Florida so far, so it’s nice to plan for cruising, but also be aware of the realities. 

• Like 1

The OP has well described where we are at.  We love cruising and miss it.   Of all the potential measures being discussed, there is no one "deal breaker" for us.  It's not that we are scared either--it's just an aggregate feeling that this is not the experience we are looking for right now.   As time passes, things will work out and return to normal, and we really look forward to that day.  

To those who want to cruise as soon as possible, I understand and wish you well.  But for the time being, we will have to rely on other other types of vacation.  

51 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I'm not up for those restrictions on a cruise to a place where I want to explore.  A cruise to the Caribbean, where I never get off the ship any more, is a different story.  I can drive to the port and spend lots of time on my balcony.  Someone else will do the cooking and cleaning.  That I can do.

You can stay in the comforts of your own home and hire someone to do the cooking and the cleaning!

• Haha 1

Had 115 cruise days booked in 2020, plus land time in Europe, Australia and South America.  Canceled everything Feb 5. Did get in two cruises for 22 days (got off the second one the day before the cruise lines shutdown).

Will not book anything until there is some clarity and certainty about travel.  For us the issue is more about the chances that travel will be impacted by things outside of our control.  As well as the question do we really want to spend the money for a cruise that is impacted by restrictions.

So instead for this year we purchased a B class RV with which we have visited some national parks, and we are in the process of buying a new home.

At this time we will not book anything until the quarantine requirements and testing that is required for travel pretty much goes away. Which might take a couple of years, even with a successful vaccine.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 3

We hear you and understand your position. Just returned yesterday from seven nights at our Cancun timeshare. Wonderful, wonderful time. The flight was uneventful and everyone wearing masks. Arrived at the resort and all luggage, shoes sanitized. Temperatures all taken. Only masks required inside until you sat down to eat. No masks or social distancing required at the pool bar. In fact if anyone mentioned covid they had to do a shot. It was absolutely wonderful to get away and almost feel like old times. Our 5 day celebrity infinity is still a go for December 5 2020 out of Miami. We will be on it if it goes. We do not take the flu shot vaccine nor will we take a covid vaccine. If it comes to having to take a vaccine before we cruise that will be the end of cruising for us. I am a cancer survivor and there is no vaccine for cancer. Live , live and live is our motto. No guarantees in life so waiting for years to cruise or have vacations is not the way we think. Call us reckless or rebel’s but at least we went out having fun. By the way we value everyone’s opinions and wear masks when it calls for it. Happy vacations every one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 5

OP totally agree, been cruising since 1989.

Will not book a cruise until the entirety of the cruise experience, from leaving home to arriving back is clear, consistent and decently priced. Will not pay for having to wear masks, watching my distance constantly, not able to talk and have a drink with a new friend, being on a ship only excursion and having the possibility of being detained in my room at sea, being denied boarding due to a faulty test.

Another item OP - have people on CC forgotten the increased postings from CC regulars before the virus - specifically the rapid product downgrading across all the cruise lines?  I have not forgotten, not at all.

Given the financial difficulties of the cruise lines - I would suspect the on board offering to be further reduced from pre cruise standards. Of course the cruise lines will, they will simply look at the early bookers as desperate and will reduce everything.

So add these 2 items together and there is no chance my household, nor my many friends that have cruised with me, and me with them, none of us will book a cruise any time soon.

• Like 5

Nope, not giving up.  There is no other travel or vacation that appeals to us as a cruise does.  We will book one as soon as it seems right to us. Wearing a mask, being tested, distancing, ship excursions only, etc. are, for us, a small price to pay for being on a ship at sea.  We wouldn't even care about the ports, or whether we could get off the ship.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

We don’t plan on cruising for awhile; other types of appealing travel and vacation options will, we hope, be available to us.  Wearing masks, being tested, social distancing, ship-organized shore excursions are not our idea of enjoyable cruising. 

• Like 1

i had the long swab stick stuck up my nose and it was not pleasant.   I won't subject myself to that on every cruise plus the daily temperature routine.  The lines and waiting will require extreme patience and that is not our definition of a vacation.  And wearing a thick mask for 2 hours when shopping is pushing it to the limit.  When I take the mask off once out the door it is nirvana.  This has to get better before we cruise again.

2 hours ago, wagontrail said:

We hear you and understand your position. Just returned yesterday from seven nights at our Cancun timeshare. Wonderful, wonderful time. The flight was uneventful and everyone wearing masks. Arrived at the resort and all luggage, shoes sanitized. Temperatures all taken. Only masks required inside until you sat down to eat. No masks or social distancing required at the pool bar. In fact if anyone mentioned covid they had to do a shot. It was absolutely wonderful to get away and almost feel like old times. Our 5 day celebrity infinity is still a go for December 5 2020 out of Miami. We will be on it if it goes. We do not take the flu shot vaccine nor will we take a covid vaccine. If it comes to having to take a vaccine before we cruise that will be the end of cruising for us. I am a cancer survivor and there is no vaccine for cancer. Live , live and live is our motto. No guarantees in life so waiting for years to cruise or have vacations is not the way we think. Call us reckless or rebel’s but at least we went out having fun. By the way we value everyone’s opinions and wear masks when it calls for it. Happy vacations every one.

I agree.  If taking a covid vaccine is a requirement to cruise, I'm out.  They have been trying to come up with a vaccine for corona viruses for years with no success.  Don't see how they can now suddenly succeed.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The Mountain Cabin sounds nice but a Cruise cabin is preferred...when the time is right.     Snowbirding this year ... sunsets over the Gulf of Mexico  will be nice! 

Walking and biking in the sunshine are calling our name!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Duanerice1 said:

I know most of us on here are chomping at the bit to get on a cruise, otherwise we wouldn't be on Cruise Critic.  I see a lot of people willing to go ahead as soon as the lines start cruising.  But as anxious as I am to cruise and looking at some of the great deals out there (sadly not Celebrity), I still can't pull the trigger and book one.

I'm not cruising until things get back to "normal", whatever that is going to be.  I'm fine with lot's of disinfectants, staff serving me at a buffet, etc.  But I'm not wearing a mask on a cruise or not being able to go to a show because of social distancing,  or sit in a bar, etc.   I'm not going to take a ships excursion or not be able to walk around in port on my own.  Oh and it's not about having to wear a mask, social distancing, etc. as I abide by those protocols now.  It's not that I'm afraid to catch Covid (but don't want to, lol).  But that's not a cruise I want to be on.  

If other people want to cruise, more power to you and I hope you have a blessed time.  It's just not the vacation for me right now.  If the cruises were half price..... I might consider but not sure I'd even go then.  Cruises will get back to somewhat normal.  It's not if, but when.  It might be 6 months, might be 2 years.  And yea, there will probably be some protocols in place but not much.  Six months after most of the population has a vaccine, most things will be back to the old normal.  People tend to forget......

We are leaving next week for 8 nights in a cabin outside of Blue Ridge GA.  Lot's of hiking, sitting in front of the fireplace on the patio and just exploring the area.  

Duane

Agree 100%, we love cruising with 62 of them but I'm not getting on a ship until it's 99.75 % to do so especially from Covid. I did not go with 100% because there are other bugs that can be caught on a cruise ship like the Norovirus and other flu strains and colds. It's just that this Covid crap is another animal especially for people like us who are in the mid 70s

Edited by MISTER 67

I think the hardest part is not having a cruise booking and seeing the countdown counter... just something to look forward to.  It would be nice to plan on a cruise for 2021, but not sure how realistic it will be.  A destination vacation may be more enjoyable for next year.

Duane

Cancelled our Dec 4th this year, doubt it will sail ,on Refection . Cunard has cancelled our cruise from Hong Kong Oct 2021.Booked Millennium for end of Feb 2022, Caribbean. Fingers crossed

4 hours ago, ABoatNerd said:

Another item OP - have people on CC forgotten the increased postings from CC regulars before the virus - specifically the rapid product downgrading across all the cruise lines?  I have not forgotten, not at all.

I remember too well the trend toward modern cruising and agree with your comment completely. Really enjoyed cruising in the old days and can wait to see if they are worth it again in the future.

2 hours ago, hcat said:

The Mountain Cabin sounds nice but a Cruise cabin is preferred...when the time is right.     Snowbirding this year ... sunsets over the Gulf of Mexico  will be nice! 

Walking and biking in the sunshine are calling our name!

Ha.  I live in SW Florida so that's daily for us.  We bike ride to Sanibel every weekend.  Looking for a change.

3 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I agree.  If taking a covid vaccine is a requirement to cruise, I'm out.  They have been trying to come up with a vaccine for corona viruses for years with no success.  Don't see how they can now suddenly succeed.

Then I suspect your cruising days are over for some time. I would expect having a Covid Vaccine will be mandatory for a few years at least, and I personally have no issue with that.

• Like 8