Memories on this Date

bennybear

Two years ago today we were flying to Venice for a 14 day cruise with our DD and DSIL; at the end of that leg, we tossed them off the ship and stayed on for another 18 days for a trans-Atlantic crossing.  We were supposed to be going again this year, but like a lot of others, that didn't materialize.

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

• Like 8

October 12 was the last of a string of sea days on the Amsterdam so one final post from my 2011 Blount cruise.  We had a full day in Montreal and I explored independently.  I'll start with a bit of perspective on the size of that ship.   Here it is next to an Aida ship about the same size as the S-Class.

ushuge.jpg

The highlight of the day was a visit to a train museum outside Montreal:

trainmuseum1.jpg

trainmuseum2.jpg

I would not normally bring a Tux on a Blount cruise but I had one this time since I was transferring a couple days later to the Crystal Symphony:

melisa.jpg

Roy

• Like 7

We awoke three years ago to a lovely sunrise on the St. Lawrence. It was to be an uneventful day of relaxing cruising, with the only news being that due to the migration of endangered whales our speed would be reduced to 10 knots. That did have a negative impact on our arrival and our visitation time at Corner Brook, but hopefully it kept us from causing any harm.

We did have some company for a while, but they soon turned to follow the coast as we sailed out into the open sea.

A1.thumb.JPG.7ad9958a8276182c3b42d635437ce917.JPG

A2.thumb.JPG.3caecf9533e403b26599ead52c0e668f.JPG

A3.thumb.JPG.89c29f7198d3c01c4b2042ec3c53cbb1.JPG

A4.thumb.JPG.ce114305db03347c716de840e239e43f.JPG

Have a good day!

Lori & George

• Like 6

Two years ago today we were at the Hotel Al Vivit in Mestre, Italy.  It was a 10 minute train ride into the heart of Venice; we toured for a couple of days prior to our 14 day Mediterranean cruise.  At night the square in front of the hotel came alive with little bistro tables brought out from restaurants hidden by the arches.  Musicians set up in the square to serenade the public wandering through.  This year we're emptying the flower pots and putting back into storage to get the yard ready for winter.  Sigh.

22365632_10154685876435633_1468543678279976791_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=5UqPBaiO1L8AX_I5FAp&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc3-1.fna&oh=b6c63b84830351e0b123f9ddadbc8dad&oe=5FAADB9E

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 5

Last year, on the Nieuw Statendam, it was a sea day. It looks like I filled the time nicely.

We slept in, I did a Windows workshop, we went to an EXC talk on Monaco and Livorno. We continued to the Mariner Lunch, followed by the All American concert in Lincoln Center Stage. A quiet rest of the afternoon after we booked a cruise for 2021, with mass at 5, Pops concert, dinner at Canaletto. Caught the ventriloquist on World Stage whose great audience participants had him losing his mind, because their humour was definitely adult, and, due to kids in the audience, he couldn’t run with it. Then, a stop at Billboard On-board with the dueling pianos (Frank likes that because I let him sing 🤣) and finally back to the cabin to prepare for Barcelona tomorrow.

72419030_10157841141012386_7283967150480424960_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=UCivqP3OxXEAX-lhztz&_nc_ht=scontent.fyto1-1.fna&oh=79db158533431393abf4132bf2da20eb&oe=5FA88ABC

• Like 4

Last year on this date we were on our way to Vancouver to spend one night at the Pan Pacific before boarding the Noordam for our cruise through Hawaii, the South Pacific, Australia, and New Zealand, ending in Auckland 40 days later.  An eventful journey, to be sure but in spite of multiple medical emergencies on board that caused schedule changes, sailing through heavy smoke from the fires in Australia, and a Noro outbreak once we left Sydney, it was one of our favorite cruises yet!  

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Three years ago we were in Halifax and we drove out to Peggy's Cove.

Lighthouse.jpg

Peggy's Cove.jpg

Love Peggy's Cove. We visited when DD was in University. Such a beautiful part of our country, with people so kind. ❤️

• Like 2

Due to a missed call in Dutch Harbor my longest string of consecutive sea days was 10, broken October 12 by a call in Kushiro, Japan.  It was my first ever call at one of Japan's smaller islands and the first time I got a look at the Grand Voyage logo:

asialogo.jpg

The library was in a tower and I got a nice overview of the city:

kushiro.jpg

As we left there were a number of children waving goodbye with orange towels.

sendoff.jpg

Roy

• Like 5

Good morning.

Has it really been 3 years since we sailed into Corner Brook for a most enjoyable day in beautiful Newfoundland? Seems like yesterday...

A.thumb.jpg.fe021f571eb92621f37648b791407ae6.jpg

B.thumb.jpg.d017b27ed0f157481cd2f6a9e4d4a155.jpg

C.thumb.JPG.a886f8413fc277adc2066f4464b00e7c.JPG

D.thumb.jpg.8d740cf2dc6c096eb07a938c98cd17bd.jpg

E.thumb.JPG.43dafc004e9116c17f87c72347d5071e.JPG

I was enjoying all of the displays at the Gros Morne visitor's center, when I turned and found Lori cuddling up to one of the locals......gotta watch her sometimes.

F.thumb.jpg.f7f1189631e57a49ed4ab43a06083345.jpg

Have a great day!

Lori & George

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Three years ago we were in Bar Harbor and took a private tour, part of which was to Cadillac Mountain.

Looks like you got Cadillac Mountain on a nice day. When we were there it was chilly and clear. But then, rather suddenly, a marine layer blew in at about 50 mph. You could literally feel the clouds blowing past and the wind was so cold it hurt. I was silly enough to leave my jacket when I walked out to take pictures, and I regretted it by the time I got back where it was warm, lol.

Nice pics. I would love to visit Pont du Gard. Thanks for sharing.

George

• Thanks 1