Dreaming of a ''World Cruise'' I may be insane what do you think.

dolittle

There is also a distinct difference between 7 day and 100 day cruises which goes directly to pricing.  The typical passenger on a short cruise is likely to spend significantly more per day in on board purchases than one on a world cruise.  

Alcoholic drinks alone would account for a lot.  Many people on a one week cruise will buy the drink package at roughly $60 per person per day - using the rationale that it saves money if you are going to have seven or more drinks daily - which is doable for a week. That sort of drinking on a world cruise is not at all likely.   

On-board spending is a major contributor to cruise line revenue - and a cruiser is far more likely to go on a bit of a spree for a week or so than he would maintain for months on end.

• Like 4

absolutely !
you hit the nail on the head Navy Bank teacher.

The Cruise lines make a lot of profit on the on-board spends in the short Cruises and hence they keep the prices very reasonable so that they always get a full house.

The cabin is actually sold at a loss and they make profits from onboard sales.

There is a thread which shows that the Cruise lines make 250 to 300 dollars profit per person on a typical 7 night cruise and Norwegian is the most profitable of the big three

• Like 1

As far as I'm concerned, I price in the cruise fare with port fees and taxes + airfare and visas, (if any) and then divide that by the number of nights to see if it is within my budget or not.

Cruise fare + port fees + taxes + airfare + visas.

Divide this total by the number of nights.

So my cost per night includes airfare and visas also.

Then I consider the class of the cruise line.

for example I would be willing to pay 50% more per night for a Royal Caribbean compared to Costa

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The typical passenger on a short cruise is likely to spend significantly more per day in on board purchases than one on a world cruise.  

Alcoholic drinks alone would account for a lot.

I have heard bartenders and bar stewards say the same thing.  

• Thanks 1

I am not going to promote world cruises (the longest cruise we have taken was only 62 days) but will mention that these cruises are very popular and often sell-out at high per person/day prices.  Just consider Crystal, which had an annual world cruise and folks would nearly fight over getting their highest priced suites which cost several hundred thousand dollars per person.  I seem to recall one year where they had to actually have a lottery to decide who got the most expensive suites.  So lets be very clear that there are only so many World Cruise berths per year and plenty of folks with the money to fill that demand.  

But it is not just about World cruises.  HAL, which tends to attract older cruises (including moi) routinely has longer cruises (30-60 days is pretty normal).  The long cruise market is a niche market (it is common for folks to run into others they know on these cruises) or primarily older folks (mostly retired) with the time and resources for these wonderful itineraries.  And now we have Oceania which has been carving out their own niche with 180 day cruises.   These kind of cruises are not for everyone, but there is a demand and long cruises tend to book-up very far in advance (often nearly 2 years prior to the cruise).  

Will the long cruise market disappear for a few years?  Perhaps.  The problem will not be finding folks with the time/money to book but finding ports around the world that are still willing to accept cruise ships.  It is my own belief (and I pray I am wrong) that many ports are not going to be eager to accept cruise ships for the foreseeable future.  Cruise lines are going to face a challenge to get many ports to reopen.  Even in the Caribbean a port like St Barts (which has no love of cruise ships) is not likely to accept any ships for the next few years.  Why would they?  That island does not need a few cruises per year and many there view ships as a big negative.  

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting.... talking about cost per day...... 

I think it there would be less profit on an interior cabin, but they would be making a profit on a suite.....  Also it depends on the itinerary, Two cruise of the same length say 13 nights from the same port  can vary 20%..... sometime even changing the date by a few week can have the same difference  on the same itinerary....

But a think including cost outside the actual cruise costs will skew the Cost per day  towards longer cruises then short cruises.....

Also the was an old story... if you are buying a Roll Royce adn you ask about the cost od servicing and fuel consumption you can't afford it.....

Same goes with a world cruise....  simply it is for those whom have ample funds to spend... and good on them .... for us about 14 night is fine

OP, I have some questions which, if it were me considering a world cruise, I'd want to think about.

What cruising have you already done?  What length?  What cruise line(s)?  IMO, the cruise line can make all the difference, and for a long trip like this, having a good match could make all the difference.

I'm with you that an inside cabin can be acceptable, if your budget wouldn't allow more.  Personally, I don't understand the allure of balcony cabins; our favorite is oceanview, even if the price is the same.

Does the itinerary of the world cruise you're looking at include places that are the most appealing to you?  Have you looked at other itineraries, other cruiselines, other years?

I agree with previous posters who recommend reading every post you can about previous sailings.  Read the roll calls of any you are considering.  Read the World Cruise section on CC, regularly.

I also agree that doing something like this while you are young enough and healthy enough to enjoy all aspects of it can be a good idea.

And finally, have you thought about logistics such as what to do about your home/pets/relatives/bills/etc. while you're away that long?

Please keep the conversation going!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

OP, I have some questions which, if it were me considering a world cruise, I'd want to think about.

What cruising have you already done?  What length?  What cruise line(s)?  IMO, the cruise line can make all the difference, and for a long trip like this, having a good match could make all the difference.

I'm with you that an inside cabin can be acceptable, if your budget wouldn't allow more.  Personally, I don't understand the allure of balcony cabins; our favorite is oceanview, even if the price is the same.

Does the itinerary of the world cruise you're looking at include places that are the most appealing to you?  Have you looked at other itineraries, other cruiselines, other years?

I agree with previous posters who recommend reading every post you can about previous sailings.  Read the roll calls of any you are considering.  Read the World Cruise section on CC, regularly.

I also agree that doing something like this while you are young enough and healthy enough to enjoy all aspects of it can be a good idea.

And finally, have you thought about logistics such as what to do about your home/pets/relatives/bills/etc. while you're away that long?

Love to keep this going ,the logistics are easy for us no pets ,small house (small bills) It is funny I put this up as a dream and my wife came home after a rough day at work and said ''I am ready for my world cruise''.

Love to keep this going ,the logistics are easy for us no pets ,small house (small bills) It is funny I put this up as a dream and my wife came home after a rough day at work and said ''I am ready for my world cruise''.
You are really lucky your wife wants to go with you on a world cruise.
my wife is the opposite, it's a punishment for her to go on even a 29 nights Cruise.
She doesn't like to be away from my 21 year old kid for a long period of time

On 10/8/2020 at 7:18 PM, Hlitner said:

Will the long cruise market disappear for a few years?  Perhaps.  The problem will not be finding folks with the time/money to book but finding ports around the world that are still willing to accept cruise ships.  It is my own belief (and I pray I am wrong) that many ports are not going to be eager to accept cruise ships for the foreseeable future.  Cruise lines are going to face a challenge to get many ports to reopen.  Even in the Caribbean a port like St Barts (which has no love of cruise ships) is not likely to accept any ships for the next few years.  Why would they?  That island does not need a few cruises per year and many there view ships as a big negative.  

Hank

In addition, I think world/long cruises are going to have limited ports because cruise ships may cut deals with ports (explicitly or not) that if there's an outbreak on board that the port area's hospitals will take on their share of the cases.  This would tend to limit them to the larger, more developed ports.

16 hours ago, dolittle said:

It is funny I put this up as a dream and my wife came home after a rough day at work and said ''I am ready for my world cruise''.

Aha!  A convert!  I see this dream coming true sooner rather than later.  Have fun!  Don't forget to share your stories with us!

I think it likely we will have to be vaccinated and carry proof of vaccination in order to travel on a ship or airplane for that matter.  Proof of vaccination may go even further to include public transportation, schools and universities and even to visit someone in a hospital or nursing home.  Because of this, I don't think there will be any ports that will reject ships with all-proof of vaccination crew and passengers.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, drsel said:

You are really lucky your wife wants to go with you on a world cruise.
my wife is the opposite, it's a punishment for her to go on even a 29 nights Cruise.
She doesn't like to be away from my 21 year old kid for a long period of time

Well, I suppose different people get civilized at different rates — but, while I could not get enough of my children when they were little, and I greatly enjoy their company now they are in their thirties, at age 21 they were just starting to emerge from the anti-social, arrogant, self-absorbed “dark ages” which hits most youth by their thirteenth (or so) year.    Why do you think parents who can afford it send their children to other than community colleges.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 7:11 PM, shipgeeks said:

have you thought about logistics such as what to do about your home/pets/relatives/bills/etc. while you're away that long?

I am sure you are aware of a CC site that discusses World Cruise topics.

No question, there are many things to consider and plans that need to be make in order for all to go as one wishes.  Sounds like "work".  In a sense, it is.  But, to paraphrase the old Cunard advertising slogan of "Getting there is half the fun".  Planning to "get there" is the other half of the world cruise experience.  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Planning to "get there"

We had a two plus week trip plan with six days of cruise. In Norway. When Norway and the cruise line canceled I had to cancel 15 (FIFTEEN) components. Hotels, air, train, airbnb etc. It was a lot of work planning it. It was a PITA canceling and getting refunds (which we did get). And I'm guessing there are people who only cruise partly for that reason. More planning than some want to deal with.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

But, to paraphrase the old Cunard advertising slogan of "Getting there is half the fun".  Planning to "get there" is the other half of the world cruise experience.  

Agree... planning a world cruise..... once one gets past... sorting out not being a home for 100+ days....and what to pack........ the best part would to planning what to do in all the ports of call.........

And also that a World Cruise would be a holiday like no other.....

Don

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, drsel said:

What about your laundry for hundred days? Is there a laundromat on the ship?
Or do you have to pay the expensive laundry charges?

That is actually a very good logistical question.  I would not do laundry so would need to factor in that cost.  It is not an issue paying for a bag of laundry on our normal 2-week cruises,.  I suppose that it could add up on a 15 week cruise.   

4 hours ago, drsel said:

As an Elite on Princess laundry is complimentary.  Takes a couple of days, sometimes more to come back as so many on these cruises are Elites.

i agree that many countries will not be open, so glad I bit the bullet and did my 3rd half world cruise last year.

on extra costs, I have complimentary wifi, and mini bar with Princess.  I am not a big drinker, one glass of wine with dinner and not a shopper so my bill is pretty reasonable.

8 hours ago, drsel said:

We have been on three world cruises on Cunard. They do have a laundromat on board; free detergent is supplied. The laundromat was a great place to exchange gossip, etc. 

World cruising is unlike any other type of cruise. There are special amenities provided, special events, etc. You get to know your fellow cruisers so well that after a while you feel like family. The ports are not that important to us, after 160+ cruises we have seen most of the world. We enjoy the experience of onboard life, 100 days go by too quickly.

My concern at this time is whether or not cruising will ever be the same post Covid. If I have to wear a mask on board, socially distance, etc., even after receiving a vaccination, I don’t think that I would want to go on a cruise of any length again.

In the meantime, we have put down a hefty deposit on a 2022 World cruise, in the hopes that things may be back to “normal” by that time.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, drsel said:

I think a world Cruise should provide a laundromat, which will have a lot of users/customers.

I know QM 2 has laundromats, but I hardly think it should be a requirement.  After all, anyone who sails for more than a few days - be it two weeks or a month or so - has to figure on getting some laundry done, and should consider it part of his expense - if it is not free.

OP, I'm still curious about what cruise line you are considering, and whether you have sailed with them before.  The onboard atmosphere/formality/passenger mix can be quite different on different lines.  I think that would be an important consideration, to get the right match for you.

12 hours ago, drsel said:

On our last WC they had a complimentary laundromat on each deck, which even included the dhobi dust (soap). On our deck it had 4 commercial washers and dryers.

• Like 1

On our last WC they had a complimentary laundromat on each deck, which even included the dhobi dust (soap). On our deck it had 4 commercial washers and dryers.

What are the normal laundromat charges on a regular 10 to 13 night Princess cruise?