Ketchikan Lumberjack show

bsg5698

OK I need some honesty! How hokey is the Lumberjack show?  We will be in Alaska Sept 2021. We  have Princess on board credit to use in Juneau or Ketchikan.  We do not like hokey Disney like shows (sorry but Im being honest). Maybe the duck boat tour?    Probably will use some for the Tram in Juneau.  Thanks for some guidance!

Please don’t waste your time on the lumberjack show. It’s awful. Like major tourist trap. About the duck tour; we did it (with small children). It did start a bit corny. Our tour guide was such a goof ball, but her sense of humor gradually grew on us.

We started the tour rolling our eyes at the jokes, but ended it laughing along with her. The actual tour was a good way to get a basic glimpse of Ketchikan, and our guide gave us quite a few tidbits of what life is like in Alaska (she was a born and raised Alaskan who had never left the state until she was an adult). Among the things she told us was that she couldn’t understand why visitors were so wowed at bald eagles until she visited other places. She always assumed that bald eagles were as common as they are in Alaska everywhere else.

It was a very easy tour for the kids, and for our specific needs it was a good choice. But neither the lumberjack show or the duck tour would be high on my list of activities while in Ketchikan. More like at the bottom of the list. So much more to see and do. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

The show is good for multi-generational groups.  We did it with kids (10, 12) and grandparents.  Hubby and I did not enjoy it but the kids/grandma really enjoyed the show.  (We were on a Disney Cruise 😁).  Little to saccharine for our taste.

The last Alaskan Princess Cruise we were on had a lumberjack guest presenter.  It was mainly an advertisement for the show but he gave an informative talk about the life of a lumberjack followed by an axe throwing demonstration.  Hubby had an opportunity to throw an axe.  That might be enough for you to get your ‘lumberjack’ experience.

Have never done the Duck tour but know folks who did at Ketchikan.  They enjoyed it and said their guide was fabulous.

The Lumberjack Show is kind of getting a bum rap here. It’s a theater production so you need to keep that in mind. It does get a bit slapstick. We’ve done it once and probably won’t do it again. It’s close to where the ships dock and would make nice filler if needed. If it wasn’t fairly popular it wouldn’t be there.

10 hours ago, Glaciers said:

The Lumberjack Show is kind of getting a bum rap here. It’s a theater production so you need to keep that in mind. It does get a bit slapstick. We’ve done it once and probably won’t do it again. It’s close to where the ships dock and would make nice filler if needed. If it wasn’t fairly popular it wouldn’t be there.

Maybe, maybe not. Most Alaskan excursions I am willing to repeat. This is not one of them, and it sounds like several others feel the same way. There are plenty of new cruisers to Alaska every year. They will probably always get people once but not twice.

We were in our late 50's when we saw it 18  years ago.  The ones enjoying it the most were elementary age school children and people the age we are now.  You sit and are entertained.  It appears the lumberjacks are really competing against each other doing the sawing or chopping logs, climbing up poles, and the balance thing on logs in lumber in the water.  I remember seeing competition like this on TV in the 50's.  A young child was brought up to the lumberjacks and they chopped a custom fit chair out of a short log for her to take home.  Not sure how the chair made it home if there was a flight involved, or if it was allowed back on the ship. We'll, hopefully, be on another Alaskan cruise next summer that will stop in Ketchikan with one of our teenaged grandsons and won't be taking him to the lumberjack show.

On 10/5/2020 at 5:37 AM, Tapi said:

Please don’t waste your time on the lumberjack show. It’s awful. Like major tourist trap. About the duck tour; we did it (with small children). It did start a bit corny. Our tour guide was such a goof ball, but her sense of humor gradually grew on us.

We started the tour rolling our eyes at the jokes, but ended it laughing along with her. The actual tour was a good way to get a basic glimpse of Ketchikan, and our guide gave us quite a few tidbits of what life is like in Alaska (she was a born and raised Alaskan who had never left the state until she was an adult). Among the things she told us was that she couldn’t understand why visitors were so wowed at bald eagles until she visited other places. She always assumed that bald eagles were as common as they are in Alaska everywhere else.

It was a very easy tour for the kids, and for our specific needs it was a good choice. But neither the lumberjack show or the duck tour would be high on my list of activities while in Ketchikan. More like at the bottom of the list. So much more to see and do. 

Granted it's not fantastic but a lot of people have enjoyed it over the years so to each his own. 

The crab feast excursion is well worth attending if you enjoy stuffing yourself with great crab. 

On 10/4/2020 at 3:10 PM, bsg5698 said:

OK I need some honesty! How hokey is the Lumberjack show?  We will be in Alaska Sept 2021. We  have Princess on board credit to use in Juneau or Ketchikan.  We do not like hokey Disney like shows (sorry but Im being honest). Maybe the duck boat tour?    Probably will use some for the Tram in Juneau.  Thanks for some guidance!

In Ketchikan have you considered the Deadliest Catch Bering Sea tour if that is a booking option for you.

We've done it twice (but booked directly) and it was one of the better excursions we've done at this port.

We enjoyed it, and we also try to avoid "disneyfied" excursions when we can, we like seeing the real thing. It is a "show" in a theater-like setting with audience participation, and part of the audience engagement is slapstick comedy. However, the lumberjack skills being demonstrated through a series of friendly competitions are real. They are really climbing poles and using chainsaws and balancing on logs and throwing axes. Many of them compete in international lumberjack competitions.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2020 at 7:04 AM, Elvis1001 said:

We enjoyed it, and we also try to avoid "disneyfied" excursions when we can, we like seeing the real thing. It is a "show" in a theater-like setting with audience participation, and part of the audience engagement is slapstick comedy. However, the lumberjack skills being demonstrated through a series of friendly competitions are real. They are really climbing poles and using chainsaws and balancing on logs and throwing axes. Many of them compete in international lumberjack competitions.

I agree wholeheartedly. My husband and I saw it last year (mainly because he really wanted to; I was indifferent when booking). We are in our late 20's/early 30's with no kids and we both really enjoyed it! At times there was corny humor but watching their skills was awe inspiring and we still laughed a few times too. We also booked axe throwing after the show and had fun learning how to do that from one of the lumberjacks (and competing against each other for bragging rights 😉 ) Here's a picture I took during the show last year! IMG_20190804_081757957_HDR.thumb.jpg.1105484bc23fd187e4333a5521607622.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

No way would I waste OBC on the lumberjack show.  There are far better excursions in Ketchikan.  The George Inlet Lodge Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast is excellent!  A flightseeing excursion is also excellent - once in a life time experience for us! Or use it on the train excursion in Skagway.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/6/2020 at 2:12 AM, Glaciers said:

We did it a few years ago and if we are allowed to go to Alaska again in 2022 will do it again. We don't get many lumberjack shows in the UK.

• Like 1