trip insurance for an expensive world cruise

Mary in Tucson

We are planning to go on a 6-month-long cruise in 2022. We are having trouble finding trip cancellation insurance that will cover the amount paid and the length of time. Someone suggested buying four policies to cover it, but didn't say how to do this. We have medical coverage for the trip, but really want cancellation/interruption coverage as well.

Any ideas? Thanks

1 hour ago, Mary in Tucson said:

We are planning to go on a 6-month-long cruise in 2022. We are having trouble finding trip cancellation insurance that will cover the amount paid and the length of time. Someone suggested buying four policies to cover it, but didn't say how to do this. We have medical coverage for the trip, but really want cancellation/interruption coverage as well.

Any ideas? Thanks

I’ve used Trip Insurance Store for several cruises including the aborted 2020 Regent Seven Seas 131-day World Cruise.  Steve is excellent at putting together the perfect combo of policies to cover your trip.  I’m working with him right now on a 94-day Arctic cruise in 2021.  No relation to his company other than a very satisfied customer.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

• Like 2

On 10/5/2020 at 2:23 PM, Mary in Tucson said:

Any ideas? Thanks

We booked the 2020 Viking WC about 20 months in advance. I researched local Insurance Brokers and the online ones and nobody would accept the risk that far in advance.

While we normally don't take out cruise line insurance, we did for that cruise, as it was the only option available.

On 10/5/2020 at 7:21 PM, ArtsyCraftsy said:

I’ve used Trip Insurance Store for several cruises including the aborted 2020 Regent Seven Seas 131-day World Cruise.  Steve is excellent at putting together the perfect combo of policies to cover your trip.  I’m working with him right now on a 94-day Arctic cruise in 2021.  No relation to his company other than a very satisfied customer.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Lana, thanks for the tip about Trip Insurance Store.  I normally carry an annual travel policy (which paid off on some claims this spring after I got stuck in Australia when Covid19 hit) but with no plans for 2021 I'm letting the policy lapse.  My next trip is a world cruise booked for January 2022, so I'll definitely look into Trip Insurance Store to insure that trip.

Safe travels.

We used Travel Insured International a couple of years ago and found their rates and coverage to be excellent compared to other insurers. Be sure to pay a few extra dollars to make the medical insurance part of the travel policy primary to your regular health insurance. It will save you a lot od extra work if you have any medical claims while on the trip.

On 10/5/2020 at 5:23 PM, Mary in Tucson said:

We are having trouble finding trip cancellation insurance that will cover the amount paid and the length of time.

I had the same problem as well.  For years, I purchased a policy for my trips through one specific company, had a few claims with them, and they always paid and did so promptly with no hassles.  They could not, however, insure my world cruise for the amount nor for the length of the cruise.  Informing my travel agent of my dilemma, she recommended the company that her agency recommends for their clients.  They would insure the full amount of the cruise and for the full length of time.  The cost of the policy was reasonable.  No claims had to be made, but I used them afterwards until I switched again to a different company.  

Others have suggested trying the Trip Insurance Store.  Have not used them, but it would be a place to start shopping.  There is another site dealing with travel insurance that I have read about on CC often; can't recall their name.  Google may be your friend in doing a search on this topic.  

We are also taking the 2022 ATW cruise for 6 months.  I purchased insurance a week after booking using insuremytrip.com.

At that time there was only 1 company offering a policy-- buying within 2 weeks of deposit allowed for pre-existing conditions and insolvency of the cruise line.  In the past, we have had several policies to choose from.  We will also take out a medical evacuation policy closer to the date of travel.  

I've been in contact with Trip Insurance Store and they gave me a preliminary quote for my WC, but also agreed that I should wait until I make final payment to purchase.  Why purchase a policy now that will cost more than my deposit - which is all I'm risking at this point if I don't like what on board life will be like by then?  

There is also the concept of self-insurance and if I really put the pencil to it, the money I've saved over the years by purchasing an annual policy instead of per-trip policies would probably pay for my WC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BarbaraM said:

i"m not sure how people do it, but i've heard people just insure the deposit amount, and increase the insured amount as they make payments.  

Affirmative, had we found a broker that would accept the risk that is how we would have purchased the insurance.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BarbaraM said:

i"m not sure how people do it, but i've heard people just insure the deposit amount, and increase the insured amount as they make payments.  

If it can be done, that's great.  I was not able to do so.  If I wanted a waiver of pre-existing coverage exclusions, the entire trip needed to be insured within X number of days after the initial deposit.  If I added on additional cost options, I was able to insure those funds.  It had to be done so within that X number of days of buying or depositing that extra cost option.