Discovery 1 Refurbishment

The Discovery 1 will be getting a refurbishment whilst she is laid up. The company carrying this out posted on LinkedIn yesterday showing the lorries leaving with all the materials

"Company carrying it out is the Deluxe Group from the UK. Statement as follows

Today the Deluxe Group Marine Team is en route to Marella Discovery to start  work on site for the large refurbishment project and make the most of this 'pause'  in cruise operations to enhance the onboard guest experience"

• Like 1

Same here P regards no hols this year,🤨

Spent more time moving holidays,airport parking/hotel,,transfers and then seeking refunds for hols,airport parking/hotel,transfers 😉

One to go with Marella cancelling the USA itinerary next year,deposit refund and airport parking/hotel to cancel 😪

Edited by Jim The Scot

18 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Go on then, I was going to post that this is the first year that I can recall not taking a holiday of some sort, that's a lot of years🙄

Keep safe everyone and one day perhaps we will return to normality. 🤗

Hi PC.

Same here, keep getting the emails from TUI,Iglu and planet cruise but won’t be booking anything until there’s a way out of this epidemic.😷 Have even been looking at coach type hols ( how desperate is that?)

Stay safe.

16 hours ago, Jim The Scot said:

Same here P regards no hols this year,🤨

Spent more time moving holidays,airport parking/hotel,,transfers and then seeking refunds for hols,airport parking/hotel,transfers 😉

One to go with Marella cancelling the USA itinerary next year,deposit refund and airport parking/hotel to cancel 😪

On the plus side it keeps you busy 😉

We should have been on the explorer. Firstly I feel for all the crew members who have become family friends, keep safe and hopefully you are back on board soon. 

Finally got fed up last Thursday. Home from work at 4-30,travel agent at 5 booked for next with company beginning with a letter and ending in a number too Madeira. Feel far safer her. On arrival last Friday temp is taken automatically as you enter terminal. You are then given free Covid test. The above company gave a very competitive private transfer, you stay in your hotel room with full free room service until results received (they guarantee no more than 12 hours) we had ours in 6 and free to go out at 9 that evening after arriving at hotel at 4. Very safe as you go around. 

I see marella announced today next winter cruises will overnight in funchal. 

On 10/6/2020 at 6:29 AM, FIFE1 said:

The Discovery 1 will be getting a refurbishment whilst she is laid up. The company carrying this out posted on LinkedIn yesterday showing the lorries leaving with all the materials

"Company carrying it out is the Deluxe Group from the UK. Statement as follows

Today the Deluxe Group Marine Team is en route to Marella Discovery to start  work on site for the large refurbishment project and make the most of this 'pause'  in cruise operations to enhance the onboard guest experience"

Hope the improvements will include more seating.  Always found it very difficult to get a seat on this ship. People having to sit on window ledges or keep walking round and round till they find a vacant chair. 

26 minutes ago, nancyneptune said:

Hope the improvements will include more seating.  Always found it very difficult to get a seat on this ship. People having to sit on window ledges or keep walking round and round till they find a vacant chair. 

Think that will be resolved with the reduction in passengers projected down to 60%🙄 

On 10/16/2020 at 3:37 PM, nancyneptune said:

Yes I agree with you on that one Nancy. A change of furniture 'size' in the atrium would be a good start. Perhaps the refurb may be the addition of things that attract a younger demographic?

I took a little trip to Scotland as my holiday for this year.

Monday to Friday dodging the rain :)

We really enjoyed it to be fair, we saw places that we wouldn't normally visit as we tend to chase the sunshine.

I've missed my holidays so much this year I have even been looking at buying a second hand Caravan!!

On 10/20/2020 at 7:27 PM, howmuch! said:

Yes I agree with you on that one Nancy. A change of furniture 'size' in the atrium would be a good start. Perhaps the refurb may be the addition of things that attract a younger demographic?

Hope so, we went with NCL last time as there was more kids entertainment and facilities. A slide or two would be great