I couldn't sleep last night.....

CineGraphic

I'm sure we all miss cruising, but I never thought I'd lose any sleep over it.

I tossed and turned allnight, unable to get any sleep....dreaming of the friendly smiles of the crew, and the familiar, "Good Morning Sir -Mam", James Beard French Toast, the Crown Grill, Vines, afternoon tea, a group slot pull, and the like.....

This morning we would have been flying into Vancouver....we had it all planned.

A car to pick us up pre-dawn and take us to the airport for our flight to Vancouver, and a lovely room waiting for us at the Pan Pacific Hotel

Tomorrow we would board the Grand Princess for a 10 night Classic California Coastal, with an overnight in San Fransisco, and stay in our favorite cabin, just steps away from the Horizon Terrace.

I planned on taking my wife to see some of the wineries I used to represent in the 80s. This would have been her first visit to Napa and Sonoma.

Upon our return to Vancouver, we planned on taking the train to Seattle, which from what I've seen on Youtube, is a lovely trip.

All of this will now have to wait until at least 2022. We've booked two 7 day sailings on the Ruby, a California Coastal and a Northwest Coastal.

The extra 4 days, (14 instead of 10) are our gift to ourselves, for putting everything on hold for a year and a half.

With any luck, I won't lose any sleep when they cancel our late February seven day getaway, knowing already that there's a good chance it won't sail.

• Like 4

I understand; social media likes to remind me, “this time last year, you were (insert beautiful cruise destination)”, and 😩. I’ve had a few dreams of cruising at least; if I can’t experience it in person right now, at least I can in my dreams! 

I’m happy for you that you can focus on 2022 at least. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I understand; social media likes to remind me, “this time last year, you were (insert beautiful cruise destination)”

My wife got a reminder today that 5 years ago we were in Cartagena. Much happier times.

• Like 2

I know exactly how you are feeling.  We went through the same thing when we were supposed to be leaving for the July 1st Enchanted cruise.

(We found some of our old keycards, patters and pins when we were going through some old files , and it brought smiles to our faces).

Optimistic that things will improve (maybe not as fast as we would like) but this will be a distant memory some day.

• Like 1

Thanks for reminding me of the same classic California Coastal on the Grand late September to early October 2014. We were one of the first ships at  the recently opened Pier 27 in San Francisco.  

Hope you get to do this cruise in the future. 

IMG_2270.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

I'm sure we all miss cruising, but I never thought I'd lose any sleep over it.

I tossed and turned allnight, unable to get any sleep....dreaming of the friendly smiles of the crew, and the familiar, "Good Morning Sir -Mam", James Beard French Toast, the Crown Grill, Vines, afternoon tea, a group slot pull, and the like.....

This morning we would have been flying into Vancouver....we had it all planned.

A car to pick us up pre-dawn and take us to the airport for our flight to Vancouver, and a lovely room waiting for us at the Pan Pacific Hotel

Tomorrow we would board the Grand Princess for a 10 night Classic California Coastal, with an overnight in San Fransisco, and stay in our favorite cabin, just steps away from the Horizon Terrace.

I planned on taking my wife to see some of the wineries I used to represent in the 80s. This would have been her first visit to Napa and Sonoma.

Upon our return to Vancouver, we planned on taking the train to Seattle, which from what I've seen on Youtube, is a lovely trip.

All of this will now have to wait until at least 2022. We've booked two 7 day sailings on the Ruby, a California Coastal and a Northwest Coastal.

The extra 4 days, (14 instead of 10) are our gift to ourselves, for putting everything on hold for a year and a half.

With any luck, I won't lose any sleep when they cancel our late February seven day getaway, knowing already that there's a good chance it won't sail.

I know exactly how you feel, we were supposed to leave Vancouver as well tomorrow on the Westerdam for a 37 night cruise.  Last fall we did the same cruise you were going tomorrow on  but we were on the Star Princess Vancouver to L.A. and return 10 days.  I am pretty close to booking something on Princess for late 2021; hoping that it will be safe to travel by then and cruise ports will be open. Stay safe everyone.

Totally understand the anxiety you must feel.

Our last cruise was March 2019. We booked our next cruise for March 2020. A 15 night cruise to Hawaii from LA.

Of course, that cruise got cancelled.

So, we rebooked the same cruise for January 2021, think the pandemic would be under control by then.

We decided to cancel that cruise as the pandemic isn't close to being under control and don't even know if the border between Canada and the USA will be open by then.

So, now we've booked a 28 day cruise going from Sydney, Au to SanFrancisco for April 2022.

We are counting on a vaccine being available by then that will make travel safer.

As Iook at photo on our walls at home, particularly one taken on cruises... I  remender the moment, then wonder If we we o them another.... and hope to one day...

For some they wont..... which is sad.... for others.... there is the dream........ only time will tell...

until then remember all the good times.... Cheers Don

and be glad you have done them..........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, helby said:

Thanks for reminding me of the same classic California Coastal on the Grand late September to early October 2014. We were one of the first ships at  the recently opened Pier 27 in San Francisco.  

Hope you get to do this cruise in the future. 

IMG_2270.jpg

Great picture of the Grand!  Thanks for posting!  I love the views from those aft facing cabins.

5 hours ago, Northumberland said:

Totally understand the anxiety you must feel.

Our last cruise was March 2019. We booked our next cruise for March 2020. A 15 night cruise to Hawaii from LA.

Of course, that cruise got cancelled.

So, we rebooked the same cruise for January 2021, think the pandemic would be under control by then.

We decided to cancel that cruise as the pandemic isn't close to being under control and don't even know if the border between Canada and the USA will be open by then.

So, now we've booked a 28 day cruise going from Sydney, Au to SanFrancisco for April 2022.

We are counting on a vaccine being available by then that will make travel safer.

We booked the same cruise also wonderful itinerary , today I called as final payment for our December 19th on Royal almost due I was told Royal will be sailing , we will see I am rather nervous about it .

7 hours ago, DUCHESSRN said:

We booked the same cruise also wonderful itinerary , today I called as final payment for our December 19th on Royal almost due I was told Royal will be sailing , we will see I am rather nervous about it .

I don't blame you for being nervous.

The deciding factor for us to cancel our January cruise was having to drive through 5 states as we were going to go on a road trip rather than fly assuming the border would be open, which I doubt.

Hope you sign up for the roll call if you haven't already done so.

We would love to meet you and see how your trip on the Royal went.

9 hours ago, DUCHESSRN said:

I am prolly one of the most optimistic posters on the return to cruising 🥃 ... but ...

for a cruise in less than 75 days and with the CDC no sail order in effect until at least 10/31 ... well Princess would have to be ready to implement the plan to re-crew and re-stock anticipating that the order will not be extended and ports will re-open - with or without a vaccine  ... 🦄

unfortunately, without another 'pause' announced by Princess, the rep really couldn't say anything other than the cruise will sail as scheduled 

stay safe 😷

stay hydrated 

• Like 1

A year ago Saturday we were embarking on a TA from Rome to Ft Lauderdale after visiting elderly parents in UK. 

We have not gone this long without a cruise since 2009.

March on a TA and May on a Princess to Alaska were of course cancelled so our next will be a shorty in Feb ---we hope!!!!

23 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

I had forgotten about the fires....our visit to wine country may have to wait.

We are heading up there this weekend to go wine tasting off of Hwy 12.  The smoke is no worse than it is here in the SF Bay Area....thankfully!  It's just moderately smoky.  St Helena and Calistoga are another story, though.  The Silverado Trail has been hit hard ... again!  😪  Hopefully, they can recover!  

Our weather has finally turned a corner for at least a few days and we even have a 43% chance of rain on Saturday.  Those firefighters can use all they help they can get.  

6 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Why must the Ocean Medallion App tease me like this??? LOL

825026973_Screenshot2020-10-07at11_36_57AM.png.9ce8075bc33f8f9f310e88ff564f086d.png

Mine has been teasing me, too ... several times already this year!  After they canceled our April cruise just three weeks ahead of time in mid-March, we had already placed our order for our medallions.  Well, we got them but, funny thing is ... the wrong dates were printed on them.  Ahhhh... at least they sent them out anyway.  haha!!  

Well, 3 more sail dates have gone by since then and another one for December has been canceled.  I'm grateful for one thing, I've received all my compensation and other than the one for April, in a rather timely manner.  

I have another one booked for early spring that I'm pretty sure will be canceled so, I won't be too disappointed.  If this stretches out through the summer, though ... I have to say, I will be more than a little heartbroken.  

6 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I have another one booked for early spring that I'm pretty sure will be canceled so, I won't be too disappointed.  If this stretches out through the summer, though ... I have to say, I will be more than a little heartbroken.  

We're booked for late February......and at this point, we won't be too disappointed if that one's cancelled.

Just in case it is cancelled, we just booked a late May Caribbean sailing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Almost one year ago...

image.png.288d6557dea0203b5945417635da1a49.png

What a difference a year makes.

I was on that cruise also but disembarked in LA.   Wonderful everything and great dinner time company of 10 of us.   My mind has been going back to that lately because it has been a year.