Cancel vs lift and shift

Hi all, 

I currently have a cruise booked for early 2021. It's not final payment date yet. I paid that cruise off already with a FCC so I have the $500 deposit invested and the FCC for the balance. 

If I were to straight up cancel it, would I get the $500 back and my FCC would just get reinstated? I'm trying to avoid lifting and shifting to 2022 if I can get my $500 back. 

I made this booking in April of this year. 

Edited by colesc15

1 minute ago, colesc15 said:

Hi all, 

I currently have a cruise booked for early 2021. It's not final payment date yet. I paid that cruise off already with a FCC so I have the $500 deposit invested and the FCC for the balance. 

If I were to straight up cancel it, would I get the $500 back and my FCC would just get reinstated? I'm trying to avoid lifting and shifting to 2022 if I can get my $500 back. 

If the deposit is refundable, then you'd get it back if you cancel before final payment date. If the deposit is nonrefundable, then you'll get a FCC when you cancel.

Just now, NancyIL said:

If the deposit is refundable, then you'd get it back if you cancel before final payment date. If the deposit is nonrefundable, then you'll get a FCC when you cancel.

Any idea how to tell if it was refundable or not? I have a voicemail to my travel agency but their turnaround time right now is 1-5 business days. 

Just now, colesc15 said:

Any idea how to tell if it was refundable or not? I have a voicemail to my travel agency but their turnaround time right now is 1-5 business days. 

Look at the confirmation you received from your travel agency. If the deposit is nonrefundable - it should say so on your invoice.

So if you had enough in your fcc to cover entire cruise, can u not use FCC to pay deposit? I realize u have to pay taxes in cash and not FCC

Also ( sorry for off topic ) if u booked a cruise for October 21 but ur FCC expires December, then u cancel- is the FCC Extended from the day you cancel?

42 minutes ago, b_cruise said:

So if you had enough in your fcc to cover entire cruise, can u not use FCC to pay deposit? I realize u have to pay taxes in cash and not FCC

Also ( sorry for off topic ) if u booked a cruise for October 21 but ur FCC expires December, then u cancel- is the FCC Extended from the day you cancel?

He said he booked back in april. Back then the fcc could not be used for deposit. It was only later they started letting you use the fcc toward deposit. I know because that's about when I got my fcc.

Usually you would know if refundable, because you had to ask for it and pay extra... except group cruises have refundable deposits.

I was in same boat. I lifted it because it was a decent rate. @Ourusualbeachwill know when the rules changed that fcc could cover deposit, but it was after april. 

Edited by firefly333

42 minutes ago, b_cruise said:

24. What if my client used a Future Cruise Credit to pay for their existing cruise and now wishes to cancel under “Cruise with Confidence” terms?

If a Future Cruise Credit was used to pay for either all or a portion of your client’s existing reservation, we are making it easy for them by combining all funds into one FCC. The value of the original FCC will be added to the new FCC at 100% of the amount redeemed on the cancelled reservation, plus the addition of any amount paid. The expiration date of the new FCC will be that of the original certificate, or 12-months from the cancellation date, whichever is further out, at which time all unused value will expire.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, colesc15 said:

A week later and still waiting to hear back from my travel agent. Ugh. 

You should have received an email or written confirmation from your travel agent when you booked the cruise. If the deposit is non-refundable - it should clearly say so.

Edited by NancyIL