Celebrity Canx Dilemma - advice pls?

DISNEY GIRL

Hello all- this is my Celebrity Dilemma...

Hubby and I love cruising, but we feel that in the future we will just cruise on the much smaller ships, ie Azamara, Seabourn, etc, etc.   However, we have a Celebrity Equinox 12 day Caribbean cruise on 17 January 2021, furthermore, this cruise was transferred (at our request) from a November cruise last year which we had already paid for, but not taken, so those monies were transferred over to our 17 January 2021 Equinox cruise as the deposit.   So currently Celebrity have $2334 as a deposit for our Equinox cruise and the balance of $3617 is due on 23 October.    

We have been offered a Lift and Shift, etc, but even the smallest of the Celebrity ships are 2000 pax, which we really do not want, so don't want a credit.    So the dilemma is  - do we pay the full amount on 23 October and hope that Celebrity cancel the 17 January sailing and then they will have to legally refund our money.

Interestingly, I went onto the Celebrity website yesterday and the same cruise, ie 17 January now costs $4000 more, yes $4000 more that I am paying.  So, the question is, is Celebrity trying to deter folks from booking this sailing??  Furthermore, my TA is phoning me almost every day, asking whether I want to Lift and Shift, etc, almost desperate for me to move my booking.  Furthermore still, I note today that Seabourn and Azamara have now stated that they will now not be sailing until April 2021 and these are the smaller ships!!!

So these actions are making me believe that Celebrity Equinox will not be sailing on 17 January, so do I pay my money and hopefully, get a refund if they don't.

One last thought - what happens if some of the Caribbean islands, now do not allow the larger ships to dock, even when they do start up cruising - can you get a refund then, if the itinerary changes significantly??

Sorry about the long post - but I really don't know what to do.....

Many thanks in advance.

Sandy

The demand is super-mega high these days and trust me - they will have it sold for sure. There are people here who are willing to pay any price to get on their favorite cruise. If its some special occasion or an anniversary, trust me, they will pay the price. Most likely they will be coming from the US cause I doubt a European would play this price

Have you thought about a switch to the Galapagos or are you set on the Caribbean? Max 100 passengers.

There's a chance that your cruise will be cancelled, but so much uncertainty  ..We have booked the same cruise for Jan 2022 but also L&S our Apr 2021 Galapagos to May 2022.

Compared to NCL, Celebrity are very flexible in the UK...maybe give them a call and see what they suggest?

As you are talking about price in $$$$ did you book with a US agent as the rules are different to UK agents. Regarding itinerary changes the cruise line can do this without refunding you.

Edited by emmas gran
addition

If your cruise sails they will sail with reduce capacity most likely 50-60%. 

We have sailed on Azamara with 649 passengers and there were crowds.  
The dining room was crowded with a wait to be seated every evening .  Discoveries Bar,  Mosaic Cafe, Cabaret and the Fitness center could often be crowded.

Getting off the ship, elevators, shops and the Sunset bar were never crowded.  

You may want to have your TA check to see if you would get a cash refund if X cancels the cruise or if the portion paid with a FCC would be refunded as a FCC. 

While your taste in cruises has changed and you now would prefer to sail on smaller ships, my inclination would be to follow your TA's advice and do a Lift and Shift. Book all of your future cruises on smaller ships, but eliminate the stress over this cruise and take a final "big boat" cruise.

• Like 2

The question is what are the UK rules?  Most posters here are North American.  UK rules very different.  What are the cancellation rules in the UK when using a FCC.  Also did you or Celebrity cancel?  Too many questions to give you an answer.

I do note a Equinox January cruise is not likely to sail, but if it did there would likely be itinerary changes.  Changes like that would entitle you to at least partial refunds under UK rules.

You truly need to contact Celebrity or your TA.

Last, is your airfare through Celebrity?  International travel restrictions are likely to change.  Could go either way.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 3:41 AM, DISNEY GIRL said:

Hello all- this is my Celebrity Dilemma...

Hubby and I love cruising, but we feel that in the future we will just cruise on the much smaller ships, ie Azamara, Seabourn, etc, etc.   However, we have a Celebrity Equinox 12 day Caribbean cruise on 17 January 2021, furthermore, this cruise was transferred (at our request) from a November cruise last year which we had already paid for, but not taken, so those monies were transferred over to our 17 January 2021 Equinox cruise as the deposit.   So currently Celebrity have $2334 as a deposit for our Equinox cruise and the balance of $3617 is due on 23 October.    

We have been offered a Lift and Shift, etc, but even the smallest of the Celebrity ships are 2000 pax, which we really do not want, so don't want a credit.    So the dilemma is  - do we pay the full amount on 23 October and hope that Celebrity cancel the 17 January sailing and then they will have to legally refund our money.

Interestingly, I went onto the Celebrity website yesterday and the same cruise, ie 17 January now costs $4000 more, yes $4000 more that I am paying.  So, the question is, is Celebrity trying to deter folks from booking this sailing??  Furthermore, my TA is phoning me almost every day, asking whether I want to Lift and Shift, etc, almost desperate for me to move my booking.  Furthermore still, I note today that Seabourn and Azamara have now stated that they will now not be sailing until April 2021 and these are the smaller ships!!!

So these actions are making me believe that Celebrity Equinox will not be sailing on 17 January, so do I pay my money and hopefully, get a refund if they don't.

One last thought - what happens if some of the Caribbean islands, now do not allow the larger ships to dock, even when they do start up cruising - can you get a refund then, if the itinerary changes significantly??

Sorry about the long post - but I really don't know what to do.....

Many thanks in advance.

Sandy

I was facing a smiliar situation for a Jan 2021 Summit cruise.  With all the uncertainty when I made my decision, just in Sept, I opted to cancel my res but move the deposit to my APEX TA in May 2021.  I feel a bit better that we "may" be sailing by then.   Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.  Best L 

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies for the lack of response.       I spoke to my TA just before the balance was due and she explained that I can actually cancel up to 48 hours before cruising and then receive a credit.  However, if the cruise is cancelled by Celebrity then I would get a full cash refund, so we decided we had nothing to lose, so paid the balance and fingers crossed, the cruise will be cancelled on 17 January, as we really don't want to be cruising currently.

53 minutes ago, DISNEY GIRL said:

My apologies for the lack of response.       I spoke to my TA just before the balance was due and she explained that I can actually cancel up to 48 hours before cruising and then receive a credit.  However, if the cruise is cancelled by Celebrity then I would get a full cash refund, so we decided we had nothing to lose, so paid the balance and fingers crossed, the cruise will be cancelled on 17 January, as we really don't want to be cruising currently.

I think that's the best move.  Your January cruise will likely be cancelled around the end of November.

18 hours ago, DISNEY GIRL said:

However, if the cruise is cancelled by Celebrity then I would get a full cash refund, so we decided we had nothing to lose, so paid the balance and fingers crossed, the cruise will be cancelled on 17 January, as we really don't want to be cruising currently.

Good luck.

I do wonder about the TA’s advice and if they have any thoughts about your ability to fly to pick up the cruise. I’m afraid to say that it appears to me that they are more concerned about their commission.

We experienced similar when we tried to cancel our 1st August cruise in April, as I knew our Doctor wouldn’t write me a ‘Fit to Sail’ letter, which was then required by Celebrity, for the over 70’s. I was told by our TA that ‘it would be all over by August.’

I really do think we ought to be able to Name and Shame some TA’s and their handling of this crisis.

They should also be aware that there is still a Gov.UK advisory against cruising.

I don’t see that Gov.UK advisory being lifted by January. The furlough scheme being extended to March, while not relevant to cruising, looks to me like a sign we will still be living with the restrictions (hopefully not lockdown) in January. 

• Like 1