New health guidelines for the future

Upper Bob

On 10/8/2020 at 7:18 PM, CineGraphic said:

I don't know how many of us would take to people getting exceptions to being tested within a certain time frame.

If you can't meet the requirements for whatever reason, you can't board. We're dealing with people's lives here.

Yes, but a lot of jurisdictions cannot meet the timeframe in providing results within 72 hrs after a test is taken.  The only answer seems to be reliable "quick tests" that provide instantaneous results, or results in minutes.  Even the latter presents a challenge in a cruise terminal as you need multiple staging areas - pre-test entrance; waiting for result; cleared and ready for security pass check; check-in; waiting to board.  

On 10/9/2020 at 11:18 AM, CineGraphic said:

And if the cruise lines require a vaccine, those 40% will not sail. End of story.

Only about 30% of Americans have gone on a cruise, so shouldn't be a big deal.  Sure, there will be some cross-over. 

But it seems odd to find a person who will be both afraid to sail due to risk of COVID and same person doesn't want to vaccine against the thing they are afraid of.

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, but a lot of jurisdictions cannot meet the timeframe in providing results within 72 hrs after a test is taken.

There's no "ifs or buts". No test, no cruise.

If the cruise lines require a negative test within 72 hours and someone is unable to meet that requirement, how does that suddenly become everybody's problem.

I think that they will eventually be able to test everyone in the terminal before boarding with the faster tests that are being developed, but until then, why should I suffer because someone else can't get a test?

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 10:49 AM, muffydawg said:

IMHO these published guidelines are only to make people feel good about BOOKING a cruise, paying a deposit versus actually SAILING on one.

As much as I might like to go on our booked cruises beginning Jan 29, just to see how things are working and passengers and crew react and behave, we are not going to go if have to wear masks all day except when dining, and especially not if we are not free to head off around an island port.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2020 at 7:29 PM, RocketMan275 said:

You may see this: you can board a plane with proof of vaccination or with the results of a recent negative virus test.  So you can get one/two shots once or go get tested multiple times.

If I need the vaccine to travel, and it gives me a "free pass" - and they are happy with something that might only be 50% - 60% effective, then I will do it rather than be subjected to non-ending testing.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 10:27 PM, Upper Bob said:

Just received the guidelines that Princess has set for cruising once things resume. Not as strict as I imagined it would be. We will see how the social distancing works out with 2,500 - 3,500 passengers. I hope it works!

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/?cid=brand_email_promo_internal_announcement_info_pf0ms171a_201007_cruisehealth_42OL4ZXM3DEZ2WP7XJDGL2DQSM&eccn=42OL4ZXM3DEZ2WP7XJDGL2DQSM&rrid=553434253A&mi_u=553434253A

On the pre-cruise/check-in guidelines, I had read and expected something to be done to manage arrivals at the terminals.  Unless I can get the earliest time, or be able to check-in and wait in the priority Elite lounge before boarding, I have a problem.  We always arrive early for Caribbean cruises out of PE because I head straight for The Sanctuary to make desired bookings.  I am expecting probably half as many loungers available in future for distancing purposes, and therefore will be scarcer than ever.  Only the first people checking in are going to have a chance on those cruises - just like it was pre-COVID.

49 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

The info published by Princess seems pretty measured and basic common sense.  It doesn't read as over-the-top.  I have some concern if have to use a lot of the hand sanitizer as it mostly irritates my skin after repeat usage.  If washed, shouldn't need to add on the sanitizer stuff. 

The don't say whether a negative test is required prior to check-in or whether they will administer to those needing one, or just those suspected with symptoms.  It reads that testing is part of secondary screening if a passenger is suspected of the illness.  They also don't say how recent the negative test needs to be.  All key things for those of us that cannot guarantee getting a test result back within say 72 hours of embarkation.  (I am willing to pay a reasonable fee to get a test done at check-in or prior).  But such private testing may get shut down in Ontario (or Canada in general) in the name of socialized medicine and no "two-tier" health care allowed - even though it does exist in many ways. 

In another critical area, they remain silent - other than mentioning that shore excursion capacity may be limited.  The key question is are we free to move about the port of call?  I realize part of that answer is dependent on the local authorities and that may not yet be completely known.  It is a deal-stopper for us and I will be asking Princess for clarity before final payment date.  I may not get it, and we will have to make a decision accordingly.

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

They don't say whether a negative test is required prior to check-in or whether they will administer to those needing one, or just those suspected with symptoms.  It reads that testing is part of secondary screening if a passenger is suspected of the illness.  They also don't say how recent the negative test needs to be.  All key things for those of us that cannot guarantee getting a test result back within say 72 hours of embarkation.  (I am willing to pay a reasonable fee to get a test done at check-in or prior). 

In another critical area, they remain silent - other than mentioning that shore excursion capacity may be limited.  The key question is are we free to move about the port of call?  I realize part of that answer is dependent on the local authorities and that may not yet be completely known.  It is a deal-stopper for us and I will be asking Princess for clarity before final payment date.  I may not get it, and we will have to make a decision accordingly.

The generalities with the lack of specifics are because they have not figured out the specifics yet.

And the specifics may change as testing technology improves and vaccines become widely available.

Look how MSC and Costa have implemented some things similarly and other things differently.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5643

What has worked well with those initial European sailings will work their way into the practices for cruises that involve USA ports.

I am still concerned about cancelled ports due to knee-jerk reactions by local officials should a case of the flu, norovirus (remember that?) or cruise cough shows up once we are underway.

Signed, one who got stuck in Australia after the Ruby cancelled the transatlantic to get me home.

16 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, but a lot of jurisdictions cannot meet the timeframe in providing results within 72 hrs after a test is taken.  The only answer seems to be reliable "quick tests" that provide instantaneous results, or results in minutes.  Even the latter presents a challenge in a cruise terminal as you need multiple staging areas - pre-test entrance; waiting for result; cleared and ready for security pass check; check-in; waiting to board.  

I know that SFO ($$) and Oakland (complimentary) both have rapid tests for all passengers flying to Hawaii.  They suggest you go to the airport an hour early and I think an appointment is required.  I understand there probably aren't nearly as many passengers on these flights as you would see on a cruiseship but, they are preparing for more and more passengers that won't want to quarantine for 14 days once they arrive on the islands.  

It is painfully clear IMHO the details, specifics have not been ironed out. For example, why are cruise lines requiring passengers to wear non- medical masks? Will Broward and Miami Dade county mask mandates and associated fines be communicated by the cruise lines to all visitors, tourists? Will the health risks to healthy people wearing non- medical masks be communicated by the lines to passengers or will the lines eliminate informed medical consent? 

Will the welcome back Captains Circle gala be eliminated? Will early, late seating be eliminated and replaced by a reservations required version ?

What type of COVID test is acceptable for boarding? Evrything I've read reveals a PCR test does not test for COVID and Florida labs differ in sensitivity resulting in false positives. An antigen test tests for antibodies. Is a positive antigen test result good or bad in the eyes of the cruise lines?

Lots of questions. Final payment deadline for our April voyage is February and February will be here before we know it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, muffydawg said:

Will the welcome back Captains Circle gala be eliminated? Will early, late seating be eliminated and replaced by a reservations required version ?

What type of COVID test is acceptable for boarding?

Some of these questions have been answered at https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5643  for Costa and MSC.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 12:12 PM, mcrcruiser said:

What some one won't  think of next . A mask  to allow  a  drink through a straw ;but ,can it be 100% safe against the air born covid 19 virus ?

Hate to tell you, but unless you are wearing a fitted N-95 mask you are no wherer near 1005 safe with any other mask.  Even a fitted N-95 is not a 100% barrier.

On 10/11/2020 at 8:28 PM, CineGraphic said:

There's no "ifs or buts". No test, no cruise.

If the cruise lines require a negative test within 72 hours and someone is unable to meet that requirement, how does that suddenly become everybody's problem.

I think that they will eventually be able to test everyone in the terminal before boarding with the faster tests that are being developed, but until then, why should I suffer because someone else can't get a test?

If I take a test and 72 hours later I receive word the test was negative, all that tells you is I was not infected at that particualr moment in time.  During that 72 hour span, I very well may have been infected.  If you are going to require a test to baord, then the crusie lines will have to get a 5 minute test...of course the cost will end up being absorbed by the customer...but that's the only way to ensure the person boarding is not infected.

28 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

If I take a test and 72 hours later I receive word the test was negative, all that tells you is I was not infected at that particualr moment in time.  During that 72 hour span, I very well may have been infected.  If you are going to require a test to baord, then the crusie lines will have to get a 5 minute test...of course the cost will end up being absorbed by the customer...but that's the only way to ensure the person boarding is not infected.

And even that could be a false negative; there is no 100% guarantee ever.

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

And even that could be a false negative; there is no 100% guarantee ever.

Yes, very true.  Can you imagine getting to the cruise terminal, you take a 15 minute test and it shows positive.  They forbid you to enter the ship. The ship pulls out of port and you take another test.  This time it hsows you negative.  Wouldn't that just suck!!

2 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Yes, very true.  Can you imagine getting to the cruise terminal, you take a 15 minute test and it shows positive.  They forbid you to enter the ship. The ship pulls out of port and you take another test.  This time it hsows you negative.  Wouldn't that just suck!!

Yes, both false positives and false negative have consequences. Neither is good. Or as you more bluntly put it, they both suck,.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

That is why they ask you to arrive early enough so that if you fail the quick test, there is still time to take a PCR test and run it.

On 11/4/2020 at 11:20 AM, USCcruisecrazy said:

Actually it only tells you that the virus was not detectable in the sample in the case of PCR.  Which has a 20% false negative rate even at its best with COVID, depending upon day after infection. One could very well be infected.  Multiple false negative PCR tests have shown up in some patients with serious symptoms.  Going through 2 or 3 negatives, only to then get a positive.

with covid 19 cases just hitting 120,000 in one day here in the USA I can not see any cruise ship being full to capacity  . imo the initial cruises will be sailing with every other cabin empty & there will only be ships tours if local authorities even allow that much 

From a  personal  point of view it we had to wear masks & were uncertain about any tours & costs of tours plus testing at the port ,quick test or other test ,our response will be  No  Thanks 

There are other vacations that are far less restrictive & yet safe . Like a land trip to a National Park in my own car & when I get there U take normal precautions 

Because of the above imo cruising has a very long  long  way to go to reach any level of normalcy  .Even 7 night cruises or 7 night B2B will be far less loaded with PAX . This virus is getting more & more cases  each day  . Thus ,truly the only way to get these cases way down & hopefully eliminated are with very successful vaccines being readily available & just about every one taking them .Other wise all we are doing is detaining the  care free atmosphere we all enjoyed aboard cruise ships 

At this time I am not even certain that we can successfully enjoy our Jan15 ,2022 cruise aboard Princess Majestic ;which is only a 7 night  Mexican riviera cruise . My reasoning here is because I am seeing a great deal of confusion even on there boards as to the future of cruising taht is 100% safe for every one from getting very ill .