Will you cruise in Jan. or Feb.?

delliemd

On 10/26/2020 at 12:50 PM, HaveWeMetYet said:

They will most likely extend it through November this week.

The election next week will probably determine their policy going forward.

You are either cruising by 12-19 or it will be 3-15-21 at the earliest.

The IDES of March!!!

On 10/17/2020 at 8:10 AM, Jimmys Chippy said:

Booked for an Emerald cruise in January, with the final balance being due in around four weeks. Two things not working in our favour are the guarantee that this cruise will even take place, so there’s a reluctance to pay the balance, and the fact that we are unable to travel to the US from the UK at the moment and those restrictions don’t appear to be being lifted any time soon.

All that said if the border was open and the ship guaranteed to sail I would probably choose to give it a miss. I’ve seen  images of MSC’s current cruises and having a mask on, socially distancing and all the other necessary measures for keeping the guests safe don’t really make for a relaxing vacation away from it all.

Do you sell Cornish Pasties at your Chippy?

3 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

Thank you.  We paid three of our cruises in full because we, too, are shareholders and knew they needed operating capital to continue.  It's a drop in the bucket, but if there are enough drops, it will fill.  We aren't the kind to kick a man (or business) when they're down.

It's a lot more fun being positive that we are sailing soon and showing our positive support by paying our fare in full when it is due while praying that it won't be cancelled.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

Is that confirmed?  We have different plans for our Jan Mexico cruise.

If so, wonder if we could find the shortest ship excursion and then do the real one?

Nothing is confirmed, only logical speculation based upon the limited cruises that have occurred in Europe. If your January cruise does in fact sail, which IMHO is very slim,  then if you do decide to go on the shortest excursion and then do "the real one", make sure that you're prepared for your cruise to be ending after you get back from your private excursion.  If you break the bubble, you pay the price.  

We never pay in advance for anything that we do not have to unless there is a benefit to us.   It has zero to do with being a shareholder.  It has zero to do with not kicking a business when they are down.

It has everything to do with managing our personal finances in a business like and realistic fashion and not confusing emotion with prudent  financial decisions.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, iancal said:

We never pay in advance for anything that we do not have to unless there is a benefit to us.   It has zero to do with being a shareholder.  It has zero to do with not kicking a business when they are down.

It has everything to do with managing our personal finances in a business like and realistic fashion and not confusing emotion with prudent  financial decisions.

Best statement I've read in a long LONG time!! Satisfy needs / only indulge in wants after needs + saving (investing) are met

Well I mean really, one can hardly get all teary eyed and emotional about a cruise line that is a for profit corporation that places the interests of it's shareholders (and senior executives) above ALL else....including it's luckless customers.   

It is not exactly akin to poor old Uncle Joe who has has fallen on tough times.  When it comes to a corporation or me....I would decide in favor of me all day long.!

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/8/2020 at 7:59 AM, delliemd said:

I am ready to cruise again even though I'm a little apprehensive. Last Feb. I contracted influenza A on board Princess. I have cruised for 23 years & never been sick on a ship before & also never saw so many sick people. I was not aware of covid-19 at the time. However, life is short  & I'm ready to roll the dice how about you?

135,000 new infections and almost 1400 deaths yesterday. US hospital system getting overrun. 

Nope. I wouldn't even drive to the US if I could let alone fly there and spend a few days before getting on a ship. Not with infection rates like that. 

• Thanks 1

Well, as much as I was looking forward to boarding on my birthday, we have decided to cancel our 2/28 booking, and book something in August instead. We still have a May booking to deal with, but we'll wait and see a few more months before deciding what to do. I'm grateful that our travel agent has been so helpful and understanding during all of this. He's a keeper!

9 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

US hospital system getting overrun.

Source?  From the many friends and family that work in healthcare, we've been given different information -- all positive.  Don't believe the lamestream.

btw, just got off the phone with a Princess supervisor  Guess they got tired of getting emails from me.  Confirmed that they will be doing testing AT THE PIER -- she didn't know what kind, so I'm waiting to see if it's nasal.  Confirmed that where distancing is not possible, they are being told they must ask passengers to wear a mask (I got the feeling this isn't going to be mask-Nazi territory.)  Apparently, they are still working out details regarding the excursions -- that doesn't make me happy.

Our January cruise is still slated to go -- but I'm waiting for further information on the tests -- nasal or cheek, information stored securely/discarded after cruise, etc.

On 11/10/2020 at 10:14 AM, iancal said:

Everyone's situation is different.  We're responsible with our finances (in truth, my dh is a genius with them), but realize others are not in the same position we are.  Because of that, we have been eating out much more often, spending as much as we can right now with companies and people who share our values, giving free things away to those that need them, and donating extra to our chosen charities -- because most businesses are hurting under lockdowns, regardless of their size.

Different philosophies; it's just money.  We are neither frivolous or miserly, but recognize that it does a lot more good circulating in the economy than hiding it under our mattresses.

Sorry, but I do not think that giving our money to an offshore corporation that pays little tax in North America and does not employ many people in our area does much good for circulating money. 

Unless of course you count money spent on professional lobby firms to influence legislators.

We would far rather spend it with local businesses that employ people in our area and pay taxes in our jurisdiction.  Or to local food banks.  We certainly would not buy gift certificates at any local business either.

A large, offshore, multinational corporation is well down on our support list.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 1:01 PM, Fortressgirl said:

We have two booked for 1st quarter 2021. The first is Hawaii on January 5th. Odds of sailing 50/50. Then California Coastal at the end of March; odds there 70/30.

In my opinion, the odds of a cruise of this length being a go is 0%.

19 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

135,000 new infections and almost 1400 deaths yesterday. US hospital system getting overrun. 

Nope. I wouldn't even drive to the US if I could let alone fly there and spend a few days before getting on a ship. Not with infection rates like that. 

And I would be surprised if other countries would allow anyone from the USA to visit without a negative result from a proven test.

14 hours ago, iancal said:

Sorry, but I do not think that giving our money to an offshore corporation that pays little tax in North America and does not employ many people in our area does much good for circulating money. 

Unless of course you count money spent on professional lobby firms to influence legislators.

We would far rather spend it with local businesses that employ people in our area and pay taxes in our jurisdiction.  Or to local food banks.  We certainly would not buy gift certificates at any local business either.

A large, offshore, multinational corporation is well down on our support list.

All of your reasons listed are legitimate, but have nothing to do with Covid.  If that is your belief, and you are certainly entitled to it, why are you on a cruising board that is the epitome of what you're against?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caribill said:

And I would be surprised if other countries would allow anyone from the USA to visit without a negative result from a proven test.

Unfortunately a negative result is not a lot of help when a person just came down with Covid on the first ship to sail in the Caribbean 3 days after the ship was underway! All passengers had tested negative at boarding!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmjc2 said:

Unfortunately a negative result is not a lot of help when a person just came down with Covid on the first ship to sail in the Caribbean 3 days after the ship was underway! All passengers had tested negative at boarding!!!

And that is the problem with all Covid-19 testing. An infected person will not have detectable levels of the virus for several days after being infected. All the testing in the world will not help in that situation.

The only way to be 100% certain no passenger has the virus is to have every passenger quarantined for two weeks before the cruise just like the crew has to be osolated before coming on board. Obviously, this will never happen.

The cruise companies are not saying they can 100% prevent having the virus on board no more than they can prevent a pre-sympomatic person with norovirus from coming on board.

But the goal is still to make it safer to be on a cruise ship than to remain in your home town.

Well, we through in the towel today on our January Emerald PC cruise.  There's just no way it's going to happen.  The cancellation was painful, now we'll have to wait and see how long it takes for the deposits to refund (didn't book this one with FCC's).  So sad, we booked it on release day nearly two years ago . . . 

Next up is 10 day Alaska from San Francisco on Ruby in July.  Fingers crossed.

37 minutes ago, jondfk said:

Well, we through in the towel today on our January Emerald PC cruise.  There's just no way it's going to happen.  The cancellation was painful, now we'll have to wait and see how long it takes for the deposits to refund (didn't book this one with FCC's).  So sad, we booked it on release day nearly two years ago . . . 

Next up is 10 day Alaska from San Francisco on Ruby in July.  Fingers crossed.

Unless the CDC 8+ day ban is lifted, your 10 day cruise in July will not happen.  Seven day cruises may not start till May once the vaccine is somewhat distributed.  It's all speculation of course.

There is one bright light on the horizon and that's the Enchanted Princess is on the move and scheduled to arrive in PE on January 1st.  What's left to see is what Princess is doing with the 7 and 14-day voyages that have been booked with the Enchanted.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We are not sailing in 2021 .We decided to do the Majestic Princess Mexican Riviera cruise Feb 26 ,2022  We started the roll call .

Unfortunately I'm with you. I hope that my December 2021 cruise goes or my FCC can be extended a year (I've already got 2 cruises for April 2022)

On 10/14/2020 at 10:15 PM, iancal said:

At the moment, the only thing that is 'escalating' is the number of new covid cases, the number of hospitalizations, and the number of deaths.

Saying it doesn't make it true.  Even NPR is reporting that the death rates have "dropped sharply."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/10/20/925441975/studies-point-to-big-drop-in-covid-19-death-rates