Will you cruise in Jan. or Feb.?

delliemd

9 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

This doesn't affect me but I am curious, are those intending to cruise early 2021 able to get insurance against covid related events?

Like a medevac from the ship due to collapsed lungs, or returning to port due to ship wide outbreak?

My measure of when cruising will be viable is when I can get insurance for such events and I was wondering if it already exists.

We took the insurance with the cruise line so there should not be an issue.

We have never done that before as we are usually including air fares / trains etc in our trip but this is a shorty from our home port so just driving.

10 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

This doesn't affect me but I am curious, are those intending to cruise early 2021 able to get insurance against covid related events?

Like a medevac from the ship due to collapsed lungs, or returning to port due to ship wide outbreak?

My measure of when cruising will be viable is when I can get insurance for such events and I was wondering if it already exists.

In a word YES. There are travel insurance policies that cover COVID.

9 hours ago, portiemom said:

No. We will not be cruising in early 2021. After 6 cancellations, our next cruise is a B2B in fall 2021. I have no issue with social distancing or wearing a mask. No big deal. My concern is with any mandate that disallows independent shore excursions. If we are limited to Princess excursions only, chances are I'm not going. There are other ways to travel.

We have a cruise booked next year in Japan and this is one time I don't want an independent tour operator. We want to use the cruise line-sponsored one. In years past, we've done a combination of the two and have found that they're both really good.

20 hours ago, voljeep said:

what "precautions taken" ? basically none, right ?

EVERYONE in the white house was tested for covid-19 on a daily basis. I seriously doubt if any cruise ship would be more thorough.  Being on a ship in close proximity to many people every day would be a recipe for disaster- mask or no mask. 

In any event, we'll be waiting for a vaccine to be introduced, possibly with the stipulation that you show proof of being vaccinated before being allowed to board. 

• Like 3

We would not cruise in Jan/Feb because our rock solid criteria is two COVID19 vaccine shots.  We won't have those by then, and are iffy about whether we will get them done by the end of Feb when we have to decide on our March cruise (30 day cancellation deadline).  We think our April cruise will be OK, though.

Plus, we can drive to the port if we want.

We had an Australia/New Zealand booked for Jan. 2021.  I recently cancelled as we had a 22 

hour flight day and even if it goes, we knew we just would not be comfortable with that yet.  It was 

a very sad day.😢

Our next cruise is in May 2, 2021.  We hope that Princess extends their Cruise with Confidence policy as it ends

April 30, 2021,  so we just missed it by that much!  This puts our final payment in late January and that feels so far away from being able to decide what will happen by May.  COME ON PRINCESS move that date forward so some of us can breath a little easier!  Since I am asking,  maybe move our date ahead that we need to "sail by" on our Future Cruise Credits as well! 

No way, our lives are so much more important than a vacation and we have been on 69 princess cruises and just had a call from Princess yesterday to book something. Not happening until we get a vaccine and one that will work and not just pushed through to make folks feel good. Will not feel secure if folks are left to do what is right, we spent 30 days in a hotel last month due to evacuation from the Creek fire and even in the hotel one man got into the elevator with 2 of us when the sign was very clear not to have 3 folks in the elevator. I mentioned it to him and all he said is "Yeah". Oh well, we will wait until we can go safely. We have a cruise booked for Australia in March, not happening I am sure. Will see what Princess does.

We will not be cruising in Jan or Feb here in Australia as our borders are closed to both out-going and in-coming tourists. Our Government has stated that overseas travel will most likely not return until the end of 2021.😒 It is what it is.😷

On 10/8/2020 at 3:59 AM, delliemd said:

I am ready to cruise again even though I'm a little apprehensive. Last Feb. I contracted influenza A on board Princess. I have cruised for 23 years & never been sick on a ship before & also never saw so many sick people. I was not aware of covid-19 at the time. However, life is short  & I'm ready to roll the dice how about you?

Nope, risk too high, best case things die down and it is summertime.

You only live once, their is no rewind button and one mistake or poor judgement could be fatal.  Not wash your hands, stand by the wrong person, walk by some bloke wearing a chin strap and viola you got COVID.

Nah, cruising is a really nice vacation, I can wait to avoid the sailing petri dish, but when it settles down sometime in 2022 if we get a new narrative in the US, I think 6 months of pain for a lifetime forward looking of fun, is more than worth it.

Nope. We have a cruise booked for late 2021 and I’m becoming skeptical that it will be safe to go then.  Additionally, we’ve pretty much decided we won’t cruise if we’re required to wear masks the whole time. I’m not an anti-mask person. I wear one whenever I go out, but I don’t want to wear one on a cruise. It may be the end of  cruising for me. 😢

Edited by KruzPrincess
  • Like 3

Currently booked on our first Princess cruise in January on the Enchanted.  If it goes, we will be on it and since there probably will be some nice price drops after final payment, we'll do our first B2B.  If Princess cancels, we'll rebook with FCC for one of the new April sailings.

1 hour ago, Lucky TGO said:

We always cruise in January and February but not this year. It just doesn’t seem like it’s going to be safe enough for me and 

I would hate wearing a mask all the time on the cruise. 
Tony

same for me. 
changed my booking to Dec 2021 enchanted out of Ft Lauderdale. 

On 10/8/2020 at 6:01 PM, Tapi said:

Booked for February 2021, but it’s not the original cruise that I wanted to take.

Around the time MSC restarted cruising in the Med, and we got a glimpse of what cruising would be like on this side of the Atlantic, I decided to cancel my original Princess cruise and booked an inexpensive back to back cruise to the Bahamas on MSC Seaside. 

If it goes, it will visit Ocean Cay twice and Nassau twice. In Nassau I’ll probably stay on the ship or take a snorkeling excursion, and in Ocean Cay hopefully I’ll be able to roam without too many restrictions. The best part about it? It’s only $165pp for a balcony stateroom for 7 nights. 

I’ll save my cruising money for a “real cruise” once some of the new protocols and procedures are no longer in effect and I can enjoy the ports and onboard experience more. 

Thanks for the info. I booked us on the same cruise but on my birthday in Jan. We got  $209.00 with a $50.00 OBC.  I saw some dates with $199.00 but none  as low as $165.00.

1 hour ago, long cruiser said:

Can you see getting on an elevator with 10-20 people.

long cruiser

No, but I can see the elevator waiting areas packed with dozens of people at dinner time just waiting for an empty one.

I suspect they'll have operators operating all the elevators to keep them from being overloaded....maybe 5 or 6 people at a time at most.

On 10/8/2020 at 11:59 AM, delliemd said:

I am ready to cruise again even though I'm a little apprehensive. Last Feb. I contracted influenza A on board Princess. I have cruised for 23 years & never been sick on a ship before & also never saw so many sick people. I was not aware of covid-19 at the time. However, life is short  & I'm ready to roll the dice how about you?

Trouble is - life could become even shorter!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

No, but I can see the elevator waiting areas packed with dozens of people at dinner time just waiting for an empty one.

I suspect they'll have operators operating all the elevators to keep them from being overloaded....maybe 5 or 6 people at a time at most.

Ah an elevator man, like in the old days, that would be one sucky assignment for that person, and also take what 10-15% of the capacity of the elevator.   I'd not share a elevator with anyone but my direct traveling party, if so what a mess, I'll pass and use the stairs, thank you, LOL

• Thanks 1

For us, we don't see us taking a cruise in 2022.  Our health comes first.  We have the rest of our lives to cruise, I just don't want to chance it. 

We are enjoying staying home for now.  We have been fixing up the house and it is great to see that things are getting done.

We will cruise again (I hope) when we feel safe from the virus, if we don't feel safe, we don't.  Of course, that could mean that we may not ever cruise again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, long cruiser said:

I canceled our april transatlantic on the enchanted.With 3600 pax it would take forever to board and disembark.

Can you see getting on an elevator with 10-20 people.

long cruiser

If you were going to take the FCC, you should have waited until Princess cancelled since it's now pushed back 5 weeks till 5/8.

We have two booked for 1st quarter 2021. The first is Hawaii on January 5th. Odds of sailing 50/50. Then California Coastal at the end of March; odds there 70/30. If we feel the health protocols are insufficient, we will cancel, but it seems the cruise industry is being held to a higher standard of care than hotels, airlines, etc. so I believe it will be safe. Both cruises are out of LA, so flights are less than an hour for us. Using Princess transfers on the January cruise and will see what protocols are in place for shore excursions. Life onboard will be different and we will see what adjustments we will have to make. I am willing to take responsibility for my behavior ( masks, social distancing, etc.) and will trust that Princess will do their part. I think the biggest challenge comes when people leave the ship in ports of call. From all I've heard, once everyone has embarked at the beginning, the ship will be virus-free. Covid testing and temperature checks will be in place. Not sure yet how they will handle getting off the ship and then returning. I think that may be the tipping point for many. For us, we are cautiously optimistic.

Yes!  Have one booked for Feb 2021 and then two more in 2021.  I tend to think that it will be safer to cruise when things first start up as people will be more aware.  (Could be wrong but feel like there's something to that.)  The reason I may cancel the February cruise is dependent on Princess's cancellation policy if I test positive prior to boarding...in this scenario, will I get a full refund?  I haven't gotten an answer to this yet so that could alter my bookings for 2021.