Jump to content

Will you cruise in Jan. or Feb.?


Recommended Posts

It would be interesting to see how many folks who were on the ships that either were quarantined or like us on the Coral got the message that the cruise was going to be stopped would now be willing to sail in Jan or Feb if given the option. I know after all we went through to get home, to know that 3 folks died on the ship and knowing how long it took us to be able to sleep at night after finally getting home that we will not be sailing any time soon. I know a lot of folks say they will sail, and I wish you great sailing and happy times, but I think that a lot of folks who have experienced what so many of us did will not be quite so ready to get on a ship.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I don’t anticipate you’ll have much opportunity to put your words into action over the next few months.

I doubt that many people will have the chance to "test" their safety protocols in the first half of 2021 but we stand among the cautious group that will wait it out until there are brave others willing to do so.

I can't see how people can enjoy cruising social distancing & wearing a mask most of the time except when eating.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I doubt that many people will have the chance to "test" their safety protocols in the first half of 2021 but we stand among the cautious group that will wait it out until there are brave others willing to do so.

I can't see how people can enjoy cruising social distancing & wearing a mask most of the time except when eating.  

It will be an interesting experiment while on board, but there are places where we can enjoy life on the ship without being masked and distanced.  What no one know for sure is how long this will last and we can get back to a better sense of normalcy.  Until then, there will be folks on both sides of the issue with their views of what will happen most of which is not based on any real facts or knowledge......and that's fine.  We will still remain optimistic and hope for the best for everyone.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, stoneharborlady said:

We are in the middle of a pandemic.  The numbers in this country are going up every day.  The epidemiologists expect a long winter with this disease. I find it amazing to see the number here that think ships will be sailing in January.  Anyone on Cruise Critic that can afford to cruise yearly or semi yearly probably lives in a nice home, and we are lucky for that.  These days so many are losing jobs and cannot pay their mortgage and are in danger of losing their homes, but I doubt any here actually will succumb to living in a cave.  On the other hand, perhaps if more people did follow the advice to living carefully for awhile,  this disease would cease to spread so quickly, and we might all have a chance to get rid of it.  You know, like New Zealand did.  In this situation, we are not just responsible for our own lives, but for each others lives too.

Very well said!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, stoneharborlady said:

We are in the middle of a pandemic.  The numbers in this country are going up every day.  The epidemiologists expect a long winter with this disease. I find it amazing to see the number here that think ships will be sailing in January.  Anyone on Cruise Critic that can afford to cruise yearly or semi yearly probably lives in a nice home, and we are lucky for that.  These days so many are losing jobs and cannot pay their mortgage and are in danger of losing their homes, but I doubt any here actually will succumb to living in a cave.  On the other hand, perhaps if more people did follow the advice to living carefully for awhile,  this disease would cease to spread so quickly, and we might all have a chance to get rid of it.  You know, like New Zealand did.  In this situation, we are not just responsible for our own lives, but for each others lives too.

 

Agree with your comments wholeheartedly......especially since the government announced yesterday they are giving up and admitting defeat on controlling COVID -19 in the US other then with some kind of medical miracle.....my family lives in Norway and they did just as they did in New Zealand and have very normal lives because Covid -19 is pretty much non-existent in the country after how the nation acted as a whole to control the virus.  I just love how some people think they are going to be on a cruise ship and life will be wonderful in early 2021.  It is just not happening maybe even not until January 2022 if then.....

Edited by PrincessLuver
Link to post
Share on other sites

I often wonder what it is.  Either some people are completely oblivious to reality or they are drinking bucket loads of the kool-aid that is being liberally dispensed by politicians.

 

No need to listen to anyone.  Politicians, graduates of the Facebook University School of Medicine, or health care professionals. 

 

Simply look at the covid numbers today, over the past week, the past month.  And then look at the increase in the growth percentages, day over day,  week over week, of those numbers.  That should give any clear thinking individual an indication of why it may not be possible or why it may not be wise to take a cruise from any US port in January or February.  It is not rocket science.   It does not require an excessive amount of critical thinking.

 

Think we are 'rounding the curve' or that covid is petering out?  Have a second look at those numbers.  Then put your mask back on and practice social distancing.

Edited by iancal
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, iancal said:

I often wonder what it is.  Either some people are completely oblivious to reality or they are drinking bucket loads of the kool-aid that is being liberally dispensed by politicians.

 

No need to listen to anyone.  Politicians, graduates of the Facebook University School of Medicine, or health care professionals. 

 

Simply look at the covid numbers today, over the past week, the past month.  And then look at the increase in the growth percentages, day over day,  week over week, of those numbers.  That should give any clear thinking individual an indication of why it may not be possible or why it may not be wise to take a cruise from any US port in January or February.  It is not rocket science.   It does not require an excessive amount of critical thinking.

 

Think we are 'rounding the curve' or that covid is petering out?  Have a second look at those numbers.  Then put your mask back on and practice social distancing.

Some folks seem to be afraid to venture out of the house lately. Others don't seem to have any fear of sailing with a few thousand others in a confined space. 

Makes me wonder?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

Some folks seem to be afraid to venture out of the house lately. Others don't seem to have any fear of sailing with a few thousand others in a confined space. 

Makes me wonder?

At the least the first group are actually acting on their feelings/perceptions; the second crowd are simply talking/typing about a hypothetical situation where they can arrange many of the deck chairs to their own choosing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

They will most likely extend it through November this week.

The election next week will probably determine their policy going forward.

You are either cruising by 12-19 or it will be 3-15-21 at the earliest.

why 3-15-21 ? anything special about that date ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, voljeep said:

why 3-15-21 ? anything special about that date ?

Based on Biden winning next week.

He has campaigned on Trump not handling Covid very well. Also he has said to listen to the scientist. CDC are the scientist and they want no cruising until February. 

It will probably be at least 6 weeks after No Sail Order expires before ships are running.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, voljeep said:

CDC set to let no sail order expire ..... hopefully

 

let the cruise lines and cruise ports make their own decisions

Un huh.  Unfortunately the wrong decision could negatively affect the health and well being of millions down the road.  I would prefer to put my future in the hands of the health professionals, rather than the cruise lines who need to make a buck.

Edited by stoneharborlady
Link to post
Share on other sites

We proactively cancelled our Nov. and Jan. cruises.  Even if there is a vaccine by then, it may not be widely available.  If we get on a ship and someone comes down with it, we have no guarantee how the rest of us will be handled.  Will we be denied entry at the closest port and also the home port?  Will we have to quarantine in FL?  I'm sure flights would ban us.  Would we stay on the ship for 14 days beyond the date that the person contracted Covid?  There are just way too many uncertainties and it's just not logical for people who are still working and cannot be gone from work for 14+ days to take that risk yet.  Hopefully by mid-spring.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stoneharborlady said:

Funny thing is, I dont mind the mask at all anymore.  I is no longer an inconvenience.  Just plain common sense.

 

I am sure those from tropics say same about shoes, coats etc... 

 

In one corner you have the thinking it's personal choice let them chose to freeze, die or kill someone else

 

In the other corner this isn't a personal choice, there will be a mandate.  

 

Do they have rules on cruise, I don't see this much different as the many other rules that we accept, why is this one for the health and wealth and well being of mankind so hard?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Azamara is a good example of what the cruise lines are thinking on restarting.  They ahem three ships and scheduled them to recommence operations in late March, April and May.  That was prior to the resurgence of COVID-19 across Europe and the US.  Europe is especially being hit hard with closures in France, Spain, Italy, Germany and other countries.  And, the winter is just starting...!  Even under "new normal" procedures it's unlikely cruising will be back before late Spring at the earliest.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Some folks seem to be afraid to venture out of the house lately. Others don't seem to have any fear of sailing with a few thousand others in a confined space. 

Makes me wonder?

 

But you can bet they will be the first ones that call the media if they are on a Princess ship and Covid-19 breaks out because they will feel mistreated for having to have the whole ship quarantine in their rooms.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 6:01 PM, stoneharborlady said:

Just curious, do you feel perfectly safe to cruise at this time?  Will you truly enjoy it, even with all the restrictions that will be put in place?

Q1:  YES

Q2:  NOPE - not if we are not free to go ashore and do our own thing.  No thanks to controlled, ship-only tours.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2020 at 1:57 PM, TeaBag said:

Actually, the self isolation is not that bad.  We had to do it when we returned from Eclipse Mar 30 and it was surprising how fast the 14 days went.  I continue to be amazed at the speed with which time is passing during this pandemic.  We mostly stay home, only going out for groceries now and again.  We haven't eaten out, including take-out, since April.

Cruise Critic is a godsend and I thank everyone who participates, as that keeps me entertained.  I can shut my eyes and pretend I'm on that lovely back cabin in June enjoying the wake and I hope it becomes a reality.

Technically, we should be able to reduce the 14 days by presenting with a negative test, plus one repeat ~5-6 days later.  In fact, Alberta is doing this beginning Nov 2 in a test program in conjunction with the feds for Calgary airport port of entry and Coutts land border entry.  This might be available for more provinces and ports of entry by next winter/spring. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2020 at 3:45 PM, SNJCruisers said:

Everyone has then own unique perspective when it comes to determining when it will be safe to cruise.  You assume that a vaccine will not be available until July, you wish to see how it progresses and I can infer that you will not cruise until 2022.

At the same time there are people willing to cruise ASAP as long as the guidelines that are in place make them feel safe.  With mandatory masks, 50% capacity and the other new protocols that will be implemented, these are sufficient enough to make a certain percentage of cruisers still wish to cruise. Your last line states about jumping on a cruise ship before you believe it is safe to do so.  You wish to wait until 2022 until a vaccine has been out for over 6 months.  Others are ready to cruise ASAP because in their opinion, the protocols that will be put in place give them a sense of security that you feel will not be achieved until 2022.

I liked your post.  Very reasonably stated.  The "doom and gloom" set likes to post about all the bad stuff and things aren't or won't be safe and the tone of those posts are such that they think everyone else should feel the same way. 

 

There is a never a 100% guarantee in life and I think the major cruise lines are not going to mess this up because their very future existence depends on it.  

 

This is one Canadian who believes that not all Americans are crazy actors with COVID and ready to infect us as soon as we cross the border.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising.co.uk
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...