Princess Medallion use update

ALWAYS CRUZIN

6 hours ago, shellbeachjim said:

My biggest problem with the medallions is that there is no recycling program for them. Yes they’re small, but they contain a battery and electronics. Where we live neither of those are to be thrown in the trash - they are to be recycled. Considering that Princess distributed hundreds of thousands medallions last year, they need to, at a minimum, have convenient recycling drop boxes at disembarkation to collect them so they can be recycled properly. 

I suspect the Medallion was on the drawing board well before the Federal judge mandated that the Carnival family of cruiselines find and follow an environmental conscience ... no excuse for the hypocrisy.

7 hours ago, shellbeachjim said:

My biggest problem with the medallions is that there is no recycling program for them. Yes they’re small, but they contain a battery and electronics. Where we live neither of those are to be thrown in the trash - they are to be recycled. Considering that Princess distributed hundreds of thousands medallions last year, they need to, at a minimum, have convenient recycling drop boxes at disembarkation to collect them so they can be recycled properly. 

For those who don't want a refrigerator magnet

Found it interesting that another line in the Carnival group - Costa - have rolled out a contact tracing device called OceanOrbit  clearly based on Ocean Medallion to one of their newest ships Costa Smeralda this last weekend. This was reported in Travel Weekly

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Costa-Smeralda-debuts-contact-tracing-device

It reads:

T1019COSTACARD.thumb.jpg.be476b24e5a29165c74140933aba05d6.jpg

A small, round device resembling Princess' Ocean Medallion was offered to passengers boarding the Costa Smeralda in Savona, Italy, on Saturday that they were told would assist in contact tracing in the event someone onboard tests positive for Covid-19.

The disk was offered on a voluntary basis.

The only stated functionality of the OceanOrbit is technology that will enable the crew to determine who -- that carries the disk -- was within six feet, for more than 15 minutes, of a passenger subsequently discovered to be infected.

The disk was offered on a voluntary basis to anyone who signed a declaration that stated the line's privacy policy regarding personal data and use of the device. It appeared that the overwhelming majority of the passengers opted in.

The device uses Bluetooth Low Energy mode and an encrypted numerical system that detects identification codes between devices without disclosing their location. The device "respects your privacy and protects your health and safety" the declaration states.

Passengers were urged to carry it with them at all times, including on shore excursions.

The ship is on a seven-day itinerary that will call at Marseille, France; Barcelona and Palma de Mallorca, Spain; and Palermo and Civitavecchia (the port of Rome), Italy, before returning to Savona.

Carnival Corporation, parent of both Princess and Costa, has not announced which line will next deploy technology similar to the fully functioning Ocean Medallion.

Edited by dides
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 1:14 PM, Desert Cruisers said:

Forget about ordering a dirty martini.  One time our drinks were delivered to our cabin, not our table.

I'm thinking in the era of coronavirus, a 'dirty' martini might not be such a good choice.

Sure, it might just be olive juice, or, there might be someone in the back sneezing in the glasses...

On 10/9/2020 at 5:23 PM, caribill said:

And recently they changed their web site to say "most" ships will be Medallion Class.

Obvious exemptions include Sapphire, Diamond, Island and Pacific

Not sure what's coming for these four ships 

Michael

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dides said:

Found it interesting that another line in the Carnival group - Costa - have rolled out a contact tracing device called OceanOrbit  clearly based on Ocean Medallion to one of their newest ships Costa Smeralda this last weekend. This was reported in Travel Weekly

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Costa-Smeralda-debuts-contact-tracing-device

It reads:

A small, round device resembling Princess' Ocean Medallion was offered to passengers boarding the Costa Smeralda in Savona, Italy, on Saturday that they were told would assist in contact tracing in the event someone onboard tests positive for Covid-19.

The only stated functionality of the OceanOrbit is technology that will enable the crew to determine who -- that carries the disk -- was within six feet, for more than 15 minutes, of a passenger subsequently discovered to be infected.

The disk was offered on a voluntary basis to anyone who signed a declaration that stated the line's privacy policy regarding personal data and use of the device. It appeared that the overwhelming majority of the passengers opted in.

The device uses Bluetooth Low Energy mode and an encrypted numerical system that detects identification codes between devices without disclosing their location. The device "respects your privacy and protects your health and safety" the declaration states.

Passengers were urged to carry it with them at all times, including on shore excursions.

The ship is on a seven-day itinerary that will call at Marseille, France; Barcelona and Palma de Mallorca, Spain; and Palermo and Civitavecchia (the port of Rome), Italy, before returning to Savona.

Carnival Corporation, parent of both Princess and Costa, has not announced which line will next deploy technology similar to the fully functioning Ocean Medallion.

Princess is 30mm how big is this one?

On 10/13/2020 at 2:10 PM, dides said:

It reads:

Does it also have a magnet in it?

On 10/8/2020 at 1:33 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Princess says they will be using the Medallion a lot more now. Helping on keeping people distanced from one another, monitoring close gatherings, no touch orders. Requesting you use you phone or pad to order than one on one. Food and drinks. Dining room ordering via phone or pad. Menu the same way. Plus more. Received that info via my email today. Hope it all works.

Pad?

On 10/15/2020 at 4:34 AM, xDisconnections said:

Oh, I’m aware of what he meant. It just sounds weird and looks bad to be used in context like that and I’m curious why he just says pad. 

Yeah, tablet might be a better word as it clearly covers all such devices.

• Like 1

It amazes me how things change. When cell phones first cam out. Everyone was trying to make them as small as possible. I had one when folded it was about 2-1/2 inches long. Now people carry tablets. The bigger the better. Next a wide screen. MI am 75 with not the greatest eyesight. However I have no problem reading what is on a phones screen. Can anyone remember what we did before this. The pay phone. Wonder how many have no idea what that was.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

It amazes me how things change. When cell phones first cam out. Everyone was trying to make them as small as possible. I had one when folded it was about 2-1/2 inches long. Now people carry tablets. The bigger the better. Next a wide screen. MI am 75 with not the greatest eyesight. However I have no problem reading what is on a phones screen. Can anyone remember what we did before this. The pay phone. Wonder how many have no idea what that was.

I saw a black "regular" telephone in a movie the other day but I knew it was a "newer model" because the dial was plastic rather than metal. Telephones used to be pretty substantial items as far as mass goes. I remember my first telephone number: Fireside 2-9194. 

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

I saw a black "regular" telephone in a movie the other day but I knew it was a "newer model" because the dial was plastic rather than metal. Telephones used to be pretty substantial items as far as mass goes. I remember my first telephone number: Fireside 2-9194. 

Hobart 6320 from 1955 in Buffalo NY So it was HO4630 No zip codes either.

2 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Can anyone remember what we did before this. The pay phone. Wonder how many have no idea what that was.

Everyone knows that  the pay phone booth was where superman changes costumes 😁

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Hobart 6320 from 1955 in Buffalo NY So it was HO4630 No zip codes either.

I'm guessing you meant to say area codes. Of course we didn't have zip codes then either.

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

A little verbal rambling. The last digits of our phone number were 0855J which followed the name of the town and a number. The J referred to a party line. No dial you picked up the phone, flashed the receiver button, an  operator came on speaking in a clear rehearsed, Bell female voice "number please." We were one of the first in the area to receive a private line since police officers, father's job,  had priority. That's a long long time ago.

On ocean voyages, no phones. You had to send a message from the radio room.

26 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I'm guessing you meant to say area codes. Of course we didn't have zip codes then either.

Area codes yes. But I did mean to say zip.

26 minutes ago, Thrak said:

49 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Everyone knows that  the pay phone booth was where superman changes costumes 😁

Missed that one. Darn

More trivia:  My wife's grandmother Lou (actually Lulu but she always went by Lou) was the manager of the Beresford, South Dakota telephone company which was one of the last in the state to get an automated system. When my wife was visiting she could just pick up the phone and ask to speak with grandma. The operator who had answered would give out a shout, "Lou! Your granddaughter's on the line." It's amazing how much things change during a single lifetime. Some folks went from horses being the norm to men landing on the moon. Now my phone has vastly more processing power than the computers that took those first men to the moon. Mind boggling stuff. Kids today can't imagine a life without big screen hi def TV,  computers, cell phones, or even microwaves. There was a woman I worked with who thought I was "telling stories" when I said we used to go to black and white movies in the theater. It just didn't seem possible to her that I could be telling the truth.

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

No one has mentiontioned this:

deliveryService?id=NMAH-JN2014-3923&max=

I will probably be banned, but I always preferred the Trimline.

Actually, that could be a good ship name: "Rotary Princess"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

No one has mentiontioned this:

deliveryService?id=NMAH-JN2014-3923&max=

I will probably be banned, but I always preferred the Trimline.

Actually, that could be a good ship name: "Rotary Princess"

The Kiwanis and Elks may have a problem with that name... 😺