Cruise meeting with VP Pence is happening today

3 minutes ago, PointNemo said:

That maybe it but remember we are talking about foreign flagged vessels returning to US ports (Which is a border crossing).

Why would you believe the CDC or the US Government should bear the brunt of costs involved with repatriation or health care costs of guest or foreign crew that catch this thing upon return into a US port? This has been the main point of contention between the cruise lines and the CDC since the start of the pandemic.  The CDC has also argued that a returning vessel with 3K - 4K people onboard with an outbreak will burden local healthcare resources on that port city.

Do we ask any foreign airline to cover when they fly even foreign citizens to US, can't recall that is there, good luck with this one. 

The liabilities are way to big for any company, don't think it passes any common sense smell test. 

Last April, CDC made the Zaandam charter special flights for all passengers debarking.  There was a report of one couple from the Zaandam who were flown on a special chartered flight to Chicago and then took an 8 hour private car transportation from Chicago to their home. All paid for by the cruise line per the CDC order. 

image.png.00167644f53f111d78587a6ed2ee5998.png

image.png.20baa478726721b0cf963fd003e3f762.png

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/dhs-cdc-restricts-new-air-travel-for-cruise-ship-passengers-zaandam-departure

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Last April, CDC made the Zaandam charter special flights for all passengers debarking.  There was a report of one couple from the Zaandam who were flown on a special chartered flight to Chicago and then took an 8 hour private car transportation from Chicago to their home. All paid for by the cruise line per the CDC order. 

image.png.00167644f53f111d78587a6ed2ee5998.png

image.png.20baa478726721b0cf963fd003e3f762.png

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/dhs-cdc-restricts-new-air-travel-for-cruise-ship-passengers-zaandam-departure

As it says, that was from last April, a time when there were many more unknowns regarding the virus spread and treatment.   Whereas these conditions could be required if we resume cruises, I'm guessing some will not.  It's a new look at the virus after so many months.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chipmaster said:

As to the first almost every business washes itself of liability.  You don't see airlines, amusement parks sign up for your medical care unless gross negligence on their part, as long as they do the second bullet. 

As to financial consequences for contacting the virus, I believe guests travel insurance and some type of liability coverage from NCL would cover medical costs. NCL certainly has some medical coverage for their employees.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Not sure that we are making progress to getting back sailing. 

I agree with you.  Reading that, all I saw was a courtesy meeting which ended with not much more than, "I value your opinion.  I will develop a committee to look at your suggestions.  They will then made a decision as what to recommend to the President."  To me, at this point with the President's good chance of losing the election, if they even got a recommendation to him, the cruising world is going to be about the last thing he will be concerned with.  My opinion.  

50 minutes ago, roger001 said:

I agree with you.  Reading that, all I saw was a courtesy meeting which ended with not much more than, "I value your opinion.  I will develop a committee to look at your suggestions.  They will then made a decision as what to recommend to the President."  To me, at this point with the President's good chance of losing the election, if they even got a recommendation to him, the cruising world is going to be about the last thing he will be concerned with.  My opinion.  

Thank You my thoughts exactly.

Since the "No Sail" order expires before the Election, I wonder what the CDC will do.  This administration seems to be able to tell the CDC what it can and can not do.

1 hour ago, roger001 said:

I do not believe the meeting was a courtesy meeting.

I believe the meeting was strategically important to the cruise lines, as well as the ports in Florida and related businesses and industries, and, a productive crawl/baby step toward establishing cruise line protocols likely as yet to be promulgated by the appropriate USA regulatory agencies/bodies.

To clarify, the "quotes" were figurative right?  

Re: timing, the inauguration is not until Wednesday, January 20, 2021 a healthy 78 or so days from Tuesday, November 3, 2020. 

That is a lot of time for a phase one of resumption of limited, high protocol cruises from USA ports, primarily Florida, similar to Italian cruises since August.

• Like 1

Politics completely aside , and please respect that statement, if the WH over rules the CDC’s original mandate to delay until February and then reassess, and they begin in Nov/Dec and this WH administration is not re-elected, you MAY see as of Jan 1 cruising come to a halt again, and the new WH admin allows CDC to have control of their no sail order again, if the virus isnt better controlled or if December sailings have even the slightest case on board. 

Just something to think about. 

I personally, am booked and ready for Dec 12th from PC. Im one of the die hard cruisers so I’ll be there with bells on if it goes, mask and all. So, I’m just being mindful of the possible ramifications of the election outcome on US Cruising.