The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

57 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I assume gnome12 will call a wild card but it hasn't officially happened?

Let's recap. @Canal archive   confirmed the answer claiming that you, jpalbny looked to have got the name first. @gnome12 actually gave the name. A bit of confusion has arisen over this perhaps. Once sorted, I would love to see another photo. I know we have run out of steam a bit... But I am determined to keep going till I see that first river cruiser reporting live from their trip. 

@Renmar Thank you for picking up the thread again.

notamermaid

• Like 2

Thanks, Canal archive. I do not know it. It looks too high to be a town gate and it is certainly younger than Medieval. With the wreaths I would say it is either celebrating a victory or is commemorative.

I would say either France or Belgium.

notamermaid

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I would say either France or Belgium.

notamermaid

You  are so adept at naming the countries where these sites are found - how do you know? Was architecture an area of study for you? Unless I have seen a site before, I usually have no clue.

France it is. Think WWI. 🙂

Edited by dogs4fun

16 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

You  are so adept at naming the countries where these sites are found - how do you know? Was architecture an area of study for you? Unless I have seen a site before, I usually have no clue.

France it is. Think WWI. 🙂

Thanks, I am not sure that I am that good, I never studied anything in that field, I think I have just developed an eye for it from looking at architectural details on holiday and on photos. I could spend hours watching that sort of documentary on TV. I watched one on Chateau Chambord (the one on the Loire that we have had in this quiz as well) the other day. I did history of art in the last two years of school and kept up an interest in art and architecture.

WWI was my idea as well but I have no idea where other than what I suggested. France - then you probably mean the Northern part. Anywhere between Dunkirk (Dunkerque) and Brittany, which is a large chunk of the country...

notamermaid

43 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Thanks, I am not sure that I am that good, I never studied anything in that field, I think I have just developed an eye for it from looking at architectural details on holiday and on photos. I could spend hours watching that sort of documentary on TV.

I agree with @dogs4fun . I am always impressed with your knowledge. Either you are really good (which we think you are) or you have fooled a ton of us 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Renmar you’ve got it again so who designed it and what is his other great design which is so much more run of the mill? 
To missing British & Commonwealth soldiers. The French and British flags on top of the memorial have a significant meaning. CA

Ah so this is at Thiepval near Arras, in the Picardy, as Renmar has already said. It is huge. I have been meaning to go to Arras for quite some years, but every time I am near Lille it is too late in the day to have a detour. I am fond of Picardie, Nord and Pas-de-Calais. Cassel in the old departement Nord has one of my favourite cobblestone streets and market squares. You may have guessed it, it is a Roman settlement, hence the name.

The Somme Battlefield sights must be difficult to take...

I do not know the designer of this memorial, it is probably mentioned here somewhere: https://www.visit-somme.com/great-war/remembrance-trail 

notamermaid

Designed by an architect by the name of Luythens (spellin?). He designed quite a few of memorials by the looks of it. He was British I think.

Have no idea regarding the flags being significant other than the memorial being in France for British soldiers.

Theo

Oh, Edwin Lutyens, he of the Cenotaph in Whitehall! I did not know his wife was from the Bulwer-Lytton family (a noble family with a weird literature writer in it, as short info to our American friends). Lutyens designed New Delhi. Wow, no wonder he is so revered.

Do not know about the flags either.

notamermaid

Regarding the flags ... the French flag is on the southern side & the British flag is on the northern side. 

At the foot of the memorial is a cemetery with the graves of unknown soldiers that fought in the joint nature of this 1916 Anglo- French offensive. The French graves lie on the southern side and the British graves lie on the northern side. I wonder if this is the flag significance to which CA alludes.

Your right it was a joint venture and the French attacked from the South and the British forces from the North. Sir Edward Lutyens was a prolific designer turning his hand to many things including the Lutyens bench. The big oblong concrete block evidently is to represent the unknown fallen, these are also at other commonwealth war grave sites. CA

It is amazing what I am learning in this tread. I always thought I was pretty knowledgeable about geography but there are so many places shown here of which I had no idea. Probably could have found all this stuff on line but that would have taken many hours (days-weeks-even months). Thanks to all for the education.

So, who has the complete right answer and should post the next picture?

Theo

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Renmar said:

So, who has the complete right answer and should post the next picture?

I understood it  as @Canal archive had granted you the prize and was just asking for more info for fun, but now I am not sure. Perhaps we wait for confirmation.

notamermaid

58 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

I’m pretty sure Renmar has it, got the closest. So Renmar is next. 

I will make sure by the time Europe wakes up that there will be a posting 😊.

Theo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Renmar said:

I will make sure by the time Europe wakes up that there will be a posting 😊.

Theo

You do represent practically the widest range of time zones on this forum!

59 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You do represent practically the widest range of time zones on this forum!

Tell me about it. Most of the time when I wake up the right answer is already given. I think together with @vada_9we pretty well cover it from end to end timewise.

Theo