The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

17 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

Come on, Lurker, you can do it!

With a capital 'L' it sounds like the villain in a superhero comic.  Lex Lurker for Superman, or The Lurker for Batman...  :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 2

I used to be "LURKING" on this tread before we decided that we should go on a river cruise and asked a few questions and received a lot of answers. Now I think this tread is one of the most interesting and fun on Cruise Critic. We, my DW & I, learn a lot about and at the same time longing a lot for river cruising.

If nobody will give the answer by the time we come back tonight (about 8:00PM Pacific) then I might become the villain and give the answer just to keep it going. 

Theo

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Not a "Lurker" - but will take the wild card if that's ok. Hopefully, this will redeem me after my photos on page 116. 

I would like the name of the town and also the location that the photo was taken from please.

PS, I don't know the name of the building this roof is on.

IMG_5724.JPG

Edited by vada_9

3 minutes ago, Renmar said:

@vada_9 I think you supposed to wait until @capriccio gives the okidoki 😉. I might have been wrong. Maybe I should not have mentioned Wildcard, sorry for that.

Theo

Sorry, thought it was your photo. I will also add that the original was the roof of Matthias church in Budapest. I will yield till confirmation.

I think that Fisherman's Bastion (post 3051) was the first CLUE but the original picture is all the way back in post 3032, and it is of St. Mathias' Church. Looks like it all worked out because vada_9 gave the answer and the next picture. And I'm not sure about that one - it reminds me of Nordlingen, where many of the buildings have dormers, but I can't find one shaped like that. Maybe somewhere else along the Romantiche Strasse, but I don't have a picture corresponding to it exactly.

• Like 1

Awaiting @capriccio's confirmation and I think that makes it all settled. Meanwhile I too of course have had a close look at the red rooftops and think this may most likely be close to the Danube. A cluster of old buildings and what looks like the wall of a church certainly points to an old town with either a vantage point or the chance to climb a church tower.

I have also learned a new architectural word: eyebrow window. I did not know that one. Eyebrow dormers as in this photo translate as Fledermausgauben (the plural). I find the eyebrow more descriptive than calling them "bat", either way, I find them a bit eery.

@jpalbny we have talked about Nördlingen before, I think it was part of your river cruise replacement trip, wasn't it?

Nördlingen is one of my favourite old places in Germany. If you, the community people reading, get the chance to choose between Rothenburg or Nördlingen, difficult choice, but from photos and videos I would say go to Nördlingen, especially as you can then say at home: "I have seen a million diamonds sparkle".

notamermaid

9 minutes ago, Ritabob said:

And here I was about to guess this photo was taken in Rothenburg  ...

It may certainly be there, I just got a different "vibe" which made me think Danube 18th century. Never been to Rothenburg myself.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

I think that Fisherman's Bastion (post 3051) was the first CLUE but the original picture is all the way back in post 3032, and it is of St. Mathias' Church.

That is the correct description of both pictures.  I'm glad the game continued while I was getting my beauty sleep 😁.

• Haha 1

Finally found the exact location! And I've been in the same spot from where you took that picture. In the lower right corner of your picture, that roof belongs to a hotel with a rooftop restaurant, where we ate lunch after seeing the restaurant from our vantage point!

I have a close-up pic of the restaurant which also includes some of your roof and the square yellow tower to its right. There are some workmen on the roof in question. I'll post it later for some additional perspective.

And Google doesn't identify that building specifically. 

I also know the exact location of the building - think the photo was shot from the tower? Attempted to check-out the definitive use of the building through its address - alas, no luck. 😟 

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 2