The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

31 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Is this a famous cave in the Netherlands that also has a castle overground?  

If so, that should make it easy for the others, hope someone can guess it from the clues.

notamermaid

Yes it is although there is a castle we actually visited the ruins.

Theo

6 hours ago, ljandgb said:

Is this the same castle we had a picture of a wall on the grounds a while back?

Not that I know of but maybe it was before I joined this tread. As far as I know there is only one area in the Netherlands where there are caves. That's it, no more clues.

Theo

I am not sure, but I do think it is the caves where they hold a Christmas market. You can book coach tours from Germany there. I reckon the Triceratops is a permanent part of the year round exhibition.

I did mean the ruin when I said castle, sorry, that was not clear.

For now I will not give the name, I would like someone else to find it and tell us if they think it is correct.

notamermaid

The picture is a little dark and doesn't (I think) look like a Mosasaur but could it be from the same region where they were first discovered?  Maastricht and the Meuse River?

I remember visiting there when my children were little (1988 - 1990) and the fossils scared them.

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

The picture is a little dark and doesn't (I think) look like a Mosasaur but could it be from the same region where they were first discovered?  Maastricht and the Meuse River?

I remember visiting there when my children were little (1988 - 1990) and the fossils scared them.

I think you are close enough.

There is "underground art" in the town of Valkenburg (about 15 km east of the city of Maastricht). Paintings and inscriptions have been made in the various caves in Valkenburg over many centuries.

In order to promote tourism, students from academies have also been active who cut statues in the marl (MERGEL in Dutch) or applied paintings to a theme.

The Municipal Cave has recently added a light show of beautiful works of art to the tour. Spectacular!

The “MergelRijk” cave lets you experience all the stories about marl and caves in an informative way by means of sculptures in marl and sand, drawings, photos, texts and films.

The Roman Catacombs Museum is an exact copy of the most beautiful frescoed catacombs in Rome. These were realized more than a century ago, under the direction of the famous architect Pierre Cuypers.

Your turn to post a picture.

Theo

Tulip Cruise with stop in Antwerp.

Nello and Patrasche from Hoboken, Belgium

(https://www.amazingbelgium.be/2015/09/nello-and-patrasche-from-hoboken.html)

French-English author Marie Louise de la Ramée (1839-1908), alias Ouida, wrote the children’s book "A Dog of Flanders" after visiting Antwerp in 1871. It is the story of a boy named Nello and his faithful dog Patrasche. Nello and Patrasche lived in Hoboken, now a district of Antwerp. They traveled into Antwerp every day with their milk cart and it was there in the Cathedral of Our Lady that they met their dramatic end together. The book found its way to Japan and Korea, where it was translated and is still a best-seller today. Many Japanese and Korean children have read the tragic tale of Nello and Patrasche and through it have discovered Antwerp and its world famous painter Rubens.

I don't have a picture so I declare a wild card!

2 minutes ago, Renmar said:

@capriccio You are way to fast. Found the answer about 3 minutes ago.

You are most likely right.

Theo

You won't believe this but I just returned home from being out for 1 1/2 hours.  The Belgian sign on the building in the background was a big hint.  I had to look it up too since it was made in 2015 long after we left Belgium.  I find it a very clever and sad rendition of the story.

The boy and his dog look really cute. What an ingenious sculpture. It is probably best that I do not know the story...

A photo, that would be lovely. It is Spring, so perhaps some flowers in a famous square? We have had flowers in parks, etc. but green foliage and flowers are always nice to look at. I have plenty of green fields to offer but they are England photos, so won't do.

Who would like to post - it need not be flowers...

notamermaid

Oh, that is a modern vertical-lift bridge that lifts a road. I love such engineering. There are none where I live but I have seen one in the North of England. I feel I have seen this one in a photo on the internet recently. Not sure.

notamermaid

Well done Renmar correct on all points the vessel is a French three masted barque named Belem launched in 1896 she has taken part in several ‘tall ships races’. Although not under sail she looked wonderful passing us. Below is the next vessel that came through, chalk and cheese.

image.thumb.jpeg.f5ab0d4867de3199f65b11c6ff18bc71.jpeg