The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

39 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Looks like St. Nicholas' in Amsterdam

What would be the river?  IJ? Canal?

There are Danube, Moselle &  Rhine cruises (and possibly some others) that begin in AMS.

If my geography is right it is the Amstel river. But I have no idea about the church. Looks fin-de-siecle rather than Medieval! A "young" church building.

Anyway, if it is the one, you win of course. :classic_smile:

Edit: Hang on, the Amstel is too small for cruising, isn't it? Must be the Amsterdam Rhine Canal.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Wrong thought

19 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

If my geography is right it is the Amstel river. But I have no idea about the church. Looks fin-de-siecle rather than Medieval! A "young" church building.

Edit: Hang on, the Amstel is too small for cruising, isn't it? Must be the Amsterdam Rhine Canal.

notamermaid

Doesn't the Amstel flow into the IJ? I thought that Amsterdam got its name from the Amstel.

We attended mass at St. Nicholas basilica (my bro never misses a Sunday service so we attend in whatever city we are visiting) - it is a large church nears AMS Centraal. It looks like the altar & windows in St. Nicholas. 

I'd better stop - getting stretch marks on my brain. 😏

Edited by dogs4fun

59 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Looks like St. Nicholas' in Amsterdam

What would be the river?  IJ? Canal?

There are Danube, Moselle &  Rhine cruises (and possibly some others) that begin in AMS.

5 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Doesn't the Amstel flow into the IJ? I thought that Amsterdam got its name from the Amstel.

We attended mass at St. Nicholas basilica (my bro never misses a Sunday service so we attend in whatever city we are visiting) - it is a large church nears AMS Centraal. It looks like the altar & windows in St. Nicholas. 

I'd better stop - getting stretch marks on my brain. 😏

Darn – I wasn't counting on another Catholic in the game!  Yes indeed, it's St. Nicholas in Amsterdam.  We were walking from Centraal Station to the start of the Rick Steves walking tour and got lost – and stumbled into this beautiful church. 

I thought sure I could stump the panel!  If no one got it, I was going to hint that while it isn't technically on a river, you can board a river cruise there. 

So full marks dogs4fun and over to you!

7 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I thought sure I could stump the panel!  If no one got it, I was going to hint that while it isn't technically on a river, you can board a river cruise there. 

Aha - attempting to stump us, eh?

This one is, IMHO, a tad esoteric -  (it is a famous/renowned venue) 

SO.gif.892908d7d59230c233e69be5889fda93.gif

Edited by dogs4fun

Jazzbeau, I also thought this one would take longer to solve!

Dogs4fun, you are right about the name of course. So, looks like the Amstel flows into the IJ and the ships com from further East through the Canal, not using the Amstel at all. Wikipedia in German says the IJ had originally been a bay but has been altered so much that is now a river and Amsterdam's waterfront. Fascinating stuff.

Looking forward to the next one. Off to bed.

notamermaid

8 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Very good game..........I am betting most of you know where this is located.........it is really so much more

beautiful in person

image.jpeg.7e183cffdbc387dcb594c5c7d15960d2.jpeg

Saint Mark's Basilica/Venice. Yes, it is gorgeous - particularly when the mosaics are illuminated.

Still waiting for an answer to post #60. 

C'mon gang! 🙂

4 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Still waiting for an answer to post #60. 

C'mon gang! 🙂

I couldn't stump you, but you have stumped me!  I even googled the sign at the back in several spelling variations.  Did you know that LHANG is an elven version of the Great Sword?  But I don't think that helps identify this picture...

17 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I couldn't stump you, but you have stumped me!  I even googled the sign at the back in several spelling variations.  Did you know that LHANG is an elven version of the Great Sword?  But I don't think that helps identify this picture...

hint: Elbe River

I'll wager notamermaid knows the venue - she's off to bed for the night but will hopefully tune-in tomorrow.

Edited by dogs4fun

11 hours ago, notamermaid said:

It might more straightforward than you think. The option at the bottom that appears when you start posting called "click to choose files" opens up your computer or smartphone.

From a computer, you can also drag & drop an image directly into a post.

21 minutes ago, jklc123 said:

Transfiguration Cathedral, Kihzi Island in Lake Onega, off the Svir River, Russia?

19 minutes ago, franski said:

Church on Kizhi Island... Technically on Lake Onega - but one of the stops on a Russian River cruise

I guess it was pretty easy. 

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I think it says l. Rang. The l is a Roman "one" and the word Rang denotes the seating in German language cinema, theatre or opera house. It gave me the clue too, mentioning the Elbe really helped, but if we are right, Fran was faster. Such a pity, I am already looking forward to giving you all a really difficult one to solve.

notamermaid