The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

RULES:

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.

The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

Please, DO NOT POST any PHOTOS unless it is your turn.

24 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Off you go, please name the river and the correct name of the landmark (English or German):

Oh, aren't you the tricky one with the name of the river. 😉

I know what it is but don't want to say yet - would like others to have a chance to answer.  Beautiful area -  we viewed it from the terrace here:Cloef.thumb.jpg.adb6d47a9b3c0badb0fd4f846ca69342.jpg

Edited by dogs4fun

27 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Hello Daisi! Thank you, seems people like to stick to my original idea. Here goes, please name what is in my chosen photo. Remember when you have guessed correctly, you can choose a photo that is not necessarily from a river cruise, it could be a land trip, but it must be on a river or close to a river that we can sail on.

Off you go, please name the river and the correct name of the landmark (English or German):1937756575_IMG_20200918_155452inCC.thumb.jpg.c619d385acc793540acf462193709342.jpg

notamermaid

It is a bend in the Saar River (Baumwipfelpfad Saarschleife) near Mettlich. I have no pictures to post, so back to you @notamermaid.

Just now, gnome12 said:

It is a bend in the Saar River (Baumwipfelpfad Saarschleife) near Mettlich. I have no pictures to post, so back to you @notamermaid.

Congratulations! It is the Saar loop near Mettlach.

Aargh, I really thought this was difficult. Oh well, another time. :classic_biggrin:

We went there a few weeks ago. It was still lovely and warm. We stood on the platform and took in the scene. It was surprisingly full of people but they were considerate. On the middle part right on the hill is the castle Montclair that one can visit.

Your turn, gnome12.

notamermaid

5 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Your turn, gnome12

Sorry, I have no pictures. I'll let you post another one.

As to the picture, I was sure that U-bend was on the Mosel but it didn't look quite right. So I cheated with Google.

Yep, I think we have some Jeopardy contestants on this thread.  😁   The Great Bend on the Saar would be difficult for most to name as I suspect that it is not an area that most river cruisers visit. On the other hand, if you like to DIY in Germany/Austria, it may not be so very difficult. Several years ago, I asked notamermaid some questions regarding driving/biking along the Elbe - stunning scenery!! She gave me some good tips. Loved Saxon Switzerland Park!

Edited by dogs4fun

Just now, gnome12 said:

Sorry, I have no pictures. I'll let you post another one.

As to the picture, I was sure that U-bend was on the Mosel but it didn't look quite right. So I cheated with Google.

Ha, you got me there, I was thinking people would say the Rhine or Moselle, smart thinking, gnome12. Thanks for handing this back - dogs4fun, if you may allow me another one, you had guessed and waited, or would you like to continue?

notamermaid

1 minute ago, notamermaid said:

Ha, you got me there, I was thinking people would say the Rhine or Moselle, smart thinking, gnome12. Thanks for handing this back - dogs4fun, if you may allow me another one, you had guessed and waited, or would you like to continue?

notamermaid

Please continue notamermaid - I am in the process of downloading some photos to my laptop & am not quite prepared.

Please don't make the location too difficult - you may not be aware but ... I did not know the location of the first photo that you posted - I would not have guessed the baths in Budapest.

3 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Thanks, here we go. Nice and straightforward:

name the river and the edifice, or river and village if that comes to mind first:

DSCN1663.thumb.JPG.ede793219b61fb2eba7a9d472aa20388.JPG

notamermaid

I was cruising on riber Elba in Germany in 2015 and this is how it looks. I mean you can tell by the design that its most likely France but it really resembles many similarities with, say, west Germany or Elzas

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Thanks, here we go. Nice and straightforward:

name the river and the edifice, or river and village if that comes to mind first:

Ha! I haven't a clue! Possibly the Rhine (it looks like the flag of the Netherlands on the smaller edifice)? The edifice does not "ring a bell" - it is not anything that I can recall from any of my cruises.

Any close-ups of the crest/coat of arms on the larger structure?

Edited by dogs4fun

11 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Ha! I haven't a clue! Possibly the Rhine (it looks like the flag of the Netherlands on the smaller edifice)? The edifice does not "ring a bell" - it is not anything that I can recall from any of my cruises.

Uuuiihh (meaning I am surprised), this is more difficult than the Saar loop. Not the flag of the Netherlands, sorry. But well spotted, the flag is difficult to put into context, but it is definitely a clue.

Does anybody else think this is on the Rhine?

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added sentence

16 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

the flag is difficult to put into context, but it is definitely a clue

hmmm... well, it also resembles the flag of Schleswig-Holstein but you already said the structure was not on the Elbe (can't imagine a river other than the Elbe that one could sail that would be included in the state of Schleswig-Holstein). So ... don't think that Schleswig-Holstein is a viable option.

Or ... how about the flag of Luxembourg? A Rhine/Moselle River cruise would fit this scenario.

The larger building sort of reminds me of Trier & Cochem (but don't recall a structure similar to the posted photo). Is the structure a villa? A guest house?

I am completely flummoxed - time to give my old pea-brain a rest.😉

6 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Yep, I think we have some Jeopardy contestants on this thread.  😁   The Great Bend on the Saar would be difficult for most to name as I suspect that it is not an area that most river cruisers visit. On the other hand, if you like to DIY in Germany/Austria, it may not be so very difficult. Several years ago, I asked notamermaid some questions regarding driving/biking along the Elbe - stunning scenery!! She gave me some good tips. Loved Saxon Switzerland Park!

We were on a Uniworld cruise where a trip to the Saar bend was available.  Only problem for us it was extremely foggy when we were there.

RB7

I feel a bit bad about leaving you with this for ten hours, so here is what dogs4fun said: "A Rhine/Moselle river cruise would fit this scenario". It is not on the Moselle, but you can see this up really close on exactly such a Rhine/Moselle itinerary. Ever so many of you have seen this sailing past at a distance.

Another clue: it is not a villa or a guesthouse but mostly a venue.

notamermaid

12 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I feel a bit bad about leaving you with this for ten hours, so here is what dogs4fun said: "A Rhine/Moselle river cruise would fit this scenario". It is not on the Moselle, but you can see this up really close on exactly such a Rhine/Moselle itinerary. Ever so many of you have seen this sailing past at a distance.

Another clue: it is not a villa or a guesthouse but mostly a venue.

notamermaid

Nope - still have no clue. It is near Koblenz?

I give up.

Edited by dogs4fun

3 minutes ago, TheKingD said:

Is it the Electoral Palace in Koblenz?  We were on a Crystal River cruise on the Rhine, and they had an evening performance there for us.  

That is really close, you have put another clue with the word "Electoral". :classic_smile:

notamermaid