The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

59 minutes ago, Daisi said:

I'm thinking by the looks on the "windows" on the blue roof, and the building in front of the windmill you are somewhere in Asia...

The windows on the blue roof are definitely a clue - this style of exterior decorative element is found in this nation's traditional architecture from the 16th century onward (it was particularly popular in the 17th century).

This sight is not in Asia - it is in Europe.

Clue alert: (although the country in which this citadel it is found straddles both Asia and Europe).

A little odd mixture of buildings, which are so mixed that it rather looks like a theme park than some historical grown place. The somewhat shabby looking residential blocks in the background as well as that chimney of a power plant or district heating look east european to me, Russia ?

5 minutes ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

A little odd mixture of buildings, which are so mixed that it rather looks like a theme park than some historical grown place. The somewhat shabby looking residential blocks in the background as well as that chimney of a power plant or district heating look east european to me, Russia ?

Yes, Russia.

I got nothing beyond Russia.  Image searches for windmills turn up lots of similar but not the same windmills, most standing by themselves.  Searching the actual image, Google gives me "tourist attraction."  LOL  I agree the closeness of the buildings with such disparate architectural styles screams theme park or history park.

I do keep getting a hit for "Volga Mansion" in China, so I guess that's a possibility. 🙂 

These clues should seal the deal 😉

This is not a theme park - it is more of a shopping/entertainment/cultural venue featuring museums, handicrafts and the like. There is a flea market (with the same name) next to the citadel - it sells all manner of stuff.

I would have thought that some of you would have visited this venue on a Russian river cruise but I don't believe that it is offered as an optional excursion - one would, I believe, DIY or hire a guide. 

MIK1.jpg

Well done, @AnhaltER1960 - it is, indeed, the Izmailovsky Kremlin located in the Izmaylovo district, Northeastern section of Moscow. Moscow is a Volga River cruise port and where Viking cruises begins and/or ends it Waterways of the Tsars cruises.

Having been to Moscow on multiple occasions, we were looking for a more unique experience and my brother wanted to visit a flea market. A friend recommended the Izmaylovo Market which is connected to the Izmailovsky Kremlin by a wooden bridge.

The Kremlin is a cultural/entertainment complex supposedly modeled on 17th century Russia (I don't believe it is an accurate representation but it is fun 😉).

The area is a bit over the top but we enjoyed the better part of a day here (plus my brother also scored some old pocket watches at the flea market). We visited the Museum of Vodka, the Museum of Bread,  the Museum of Folk Art and just enjoyed wandering about. If one is interested in visiting, it can be reached by metro - Partizanskaya is the closest station from which the Kremlin is a very short three minute walk.

Photo from the bank of the Serebryano-Vinogradny pond.

IK.jpg

Awaiting the submission from AnhaltER ...

Edited by dogs4fun

17 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

Ah ha!  I found that last picture twice on my image search, but it was always part of a low budget cruise website and could never find just an explanation of what it was.  Good one.  I bet that was an interesting day.

I thought that you would, for sure, be the person to correctly identify the Kremlin. You were so close ... you had correctly identified Russia & history park.

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

I thought that you would, for sure, be the person to correctly identify the Kremlin. You were so close ... you had correctly identified Russia & history park.

Thanks for your confidence!  Context clues only, those.  I was going on gut instinct.  I just couldn't come up with the right google search terms to get me any closer.  

Firstly: some architects should get a good spanking and be taught Feng Shui.

Secondly: I have no idea where this is. I can see a twin spire building in the distance on the same embankment as this "thing". I thought it might be Cologne Cathedral, but the river looks too narrow to be the Rhine there.

Perhaps: the Main?

notamermaid

49 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Firstly: some architects should get a good spanking and be taught Feng Shui.

Secondly: I have no idea where this is. I can see a twin spire building in the distance on the same embankment as this "thing". I thought it might be Cologne Cathedral, but the river looks too narrow to be the Rhine there.

Perhaps: the Main?

notamermaid

Woohoo, thats what I would not want to miss, when you bind the architects around a Ying-Yang-wheel and spank them. Oh, by the way, you would be spanking Herzog & de Meuron (Beijing National Stadium, Elbphilharmonie Hamburg, Allianz Arena Munich).

Well spotted, the spires, which are the landmark building of that city, which is not at the banks of the Main river.

26 minutes ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

Herzog & de Meuron (Beijing National Stadium, Elbphilharmonie Hamburg, Allianz Arena Munich)

Perhaps they just had a bad year then... I certainly prefer the Elbphilharmonie. It fits into the Hamburg landscape alright, but this building here, "eh neee" ...

Not the Main, so no idea where this is. Some place where they allow lots of modern stuff, I suppose. I have been to Marne-la-Vallée, but do not recall that building, it would also be a bit too far from the Seine stretch at Paris, I think the landscape does not fit.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added info

That's a good guess.  It does look a bit like the Roche campus, but our view was from a different angle.  I feel like the steeple could be the cathedral (of partially dressed foolish virgin fame) but I felt like we were higher above the river.  

40 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Could this be part of roche's towers in Basel, Rhine River?

Not fully up on my pharmaceutical companies, are or have they, been working on a vaccine for Covid?

Bingo. I took that picture from the Schwarzwaldbrücke, which carries the traffic from and to Germany downriver. So the Roche-Campus with the tower is to the right and the old town with the spires of the Münster in the back.

Hoffman-La Roche is rather into medical diagnostics, but that is quite a safe bet in the Covid-Monopoly. They are a strong player in the tests. But I wouldnt be surprised, if they placed a bet on vaccines, too.

Over to you.