The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

@jpalbny

Sorry, to hear that. I was fearing you might say something like that soon. We will find a nice photo to continue, someone as a wild card. Hopefully you can join us for a brief minute to cheer you up and distract you when the time is right.

Thank you for your work, and a big cheer to the other busy unknown people in your workplace. Far too busy...

You and Chris stay safe.

Who will next take us to a beautiful and/or unusual location on a river for cruising or nearby?

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jpalbny said:

At work and no time to find a picture to post. It's really heating up here in our ICU.

Wild card.

Stay well! Hoping you are near the front of the line for a vaccine. Numbers are crazy here as well, but people just don't seem to get it. I'm seeing my first round of quarantine babies, and some are being born to Covid + moms. Definitely uncharted territory.

• Thanks 1

Absolutely, Thought I’d post another seasonal photo. We were there Christmas Day 2018 and enjoyed “Silent Night” sung in the chapel by two gentlemen representing the authors of the words and melody, three verses sung in German, and then the audience of 15 (it’s a very small chapel) were invited to join them for the first verse in English.

Over to you, QueenofEverything.

• Like 1

It's Frankfurt-am-Main. Römerberg. They look old but some of the buildings in that square are modern replicas.

Another view, from our weekend there in May 2018.

Frankfurt-28.thumb.JPG.8da2ccc47bdbc54c15e22200a558c668.JPG

Thanks for the well wishes all. Working this weekend then will maybe take a day off next week to recover, if possible.

Edited by jpalbny

5 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

It's Frankfurt-am-Main. Römerberg. They look old but some of the buildings in that square are modern replicas.

Another view, from our weekend there in May 2018.

Frankfurt-28.thumb.JPG.8da2ccc47bdbc54c15e22200a558c668.JPG

Thanks for the well wishes all. Working this weekend then will maybe take a day off next week to recover, if possible.

Correct it is Frankfurt, over to you. Stay safe over there.

• Thanks 1

Time for bed over here. Only got about four hours of sleep last night so the tank is getting empty. So, here's one for the overnight crew; will check back in about 8 hours to see who has found it.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the place in the picture. The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

This attraction can be visited from a city that is an embarkation/disembarkation port for a river cruise trip. As usual, we visited here on our own without taking said river cruise...

302216808_CCPic16.thumb.JPG.6e2b1f5535f8917fcf2d48e39fa2df0e.JPG

Good night all and happy guessing!

JPALBNY stay safe, with this pandemic it’s baby steps hopefully the passing of the use of the vaccine will start to make a difference. Having very recently spent a some time in RUH Bath for a blood infection I can fully appreciate your worth.

So here is another challenge not actually on a river but a coach trip from one and to do with water!

image.thumb.jpeg.b2426de19f041a6fec2c4e4f2f585341.jpeg

Thanks for the photo, jpalbny. Great waterfall, I was wondering if it might be the bridge near Neuschwanstein Castle, but I do not think it can be.

@Canal archive sorry, but I am confused, would you like us to guess your photo out of line? Need to keep the thread with jp's photo. Like your bridge and eager to find out where it is.

notamermaid

11 hours ago, jpalbny said:

This attraction can be visited from a city that is an embarkation/disembarkation port for a river cruise trip. As usual, we visited here on our own without taking said river cruise...

.Nice photo and what a lovely vintage bridge, which indicates, this had been a visitor attraction for a while. My first thought then was Reichenbach Falls in Switzerland (those with Sherlock Holmes and Professor Moriarty), but that did not fit. And then sharkster77 was quicker. Congratulations.

6 hours ago, Canal archive said:

So here is another challenge not actually on a river but a coach trip from one and to do with water!

Though I wolud consider this like notamermaid as an offside goal,, it very much looks like the Pont du Gard, Rhone River, France

Multnomah Falls it is! A beautiful location and waterfall. Here's the full view of both tiers.

1286036457_PortlandAlbum-055.thumb.JPG.468ecf67ad4e10d66699fc3e0995308c.JPG

There's a nice hike to the top.

364224338_PortlandAlbum-049.thumb.jpg.6ae5a6c97504762354f4a75ff080b064.jpg

We spent a weekend in Portland last year, and the Columbia River Gorge is stunning. Plus lots of nice wine too!

@sharkster77, your turn.

Reichenbachfalle is beautiful too. We drove by there a few years ago in my Audi. I forgot that it also has two tiers.

588280674_Germany2015_09-114.thumb.jpg.928ce7957bba1785669c80ffb8157be4.jpg

And I agree, Pont du Gard was my first thought for CA's picture.

OK, back to work for me.

sharkster77, thank you for the wild card. I will take it this time. An older photo, one that I hope will confuse you all a bit.

Please guess the river and the nearest river cruise port for international lines. A brownie point if you can tell me what the building in the background of this most unusual transport is:

956306500_9.4.2008001.thumb.jpg.c64aac713fd44002d6574efe98a3d29b.jpg

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
clarification

The aircraft on the barge looks like it is being transported to the museum in Speyer. So I would guess that the river is the Rhine. Speyer was the town from which we took our excursion to Heidelberg, so it is a possibility as the port, but I doubt that @notamermaid would be that obvious.

Well, that is the  Buran - Russian Space Shuttle. It was too unwieldy to make it to the tech museum in Speyer by any transportation mode other than the Rhine. I believe it began its journey in Rotterdam & culminated in Speyer in 2008.

No clue as to where the photo was captured along the route.

I’m waiting with interest to see the identity of the building.

Edited by dogs4fun