The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

I tried to confuse you with the river, did not work. :classic_biggrin: It is of course on the Rhine. gnome12, yes, the port is not obvious, it is not Speyer. And, yes it is the famous transport of the space shuttle to its final home in the Technical Museum in Speyer. They could not get it to the there any other way, you are right, dogs4fun. As you say correctly, it travelled upstream, facing forward, so this is a shot of the river in a kind of downstream direction.

notamermaid

Well done @AnhaltER1960 you are correct. that was quick! Minor correction, but not important as you got so many details and the brownie point as well. I was looking for the port Andernach, but you have mentioned the name in the context of the company. I found the photo in the recesses of the photo archives on my computer, forgotten I had it. The photo was taken from Neuwied embankment, not far from the palace I think (cannot remember the exact spot). The next major port is Koblenz, Andernach is small but international, APT and CroisiEurope use it (and some Dutch lines). Also correct is Rasselstein works. The colour scheme on the works is unusual and interesting. I remember reading that a designer artist called Friedrich-Ernst von Garnier gave it its new colours, it had been boring grey before.

That journey of the space shuttle made headline news along the Rhine - and I suspect further afield as well. So many people wanted to see it, if you were at all interested in this and had any spare time you made your way to the river on those few days in April 2008. I must have had spare time, too. :classic_smile: I would not have remembered the date if it had not been added to the photo profile on my computer...

Here are three photos from its journey, shot at Koblenz: https://www.bafg.de/DE/07_Nachrichten/Archiv/2008/buran.html

Still have not seen the shuttle in Speyer, but have been to the other part of the Museum in Sinsheim. Also well worth seeing.

Your turn, AnhalterER1960.

Edited by notamermaid
added link

1 hour ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

I am on the train and wont be home with my photo archive before 1 am German time, that is nearly dem Tours.. 

Feel free to grab a wild card. I will look later and claim it myself if nobody did until then. 

Omg, just returned, and saw, what the Android autocorrection did with my writling... sorry for that.

Ok, another photo.  Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the place in the picture. The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

Ebbe im Glas0113.JPG

8 hours ago, jpalbny said:

I don't know the location, but I see sand bags. Was taken this during the floods on the Danube in June of 2013?

Indeed, the photo shows the 2013 floods, look at the potoon heading skywards in the background. It was used by Viking those days, but not any longer.

Not the Danube though.

Wide, flat and calm although it is flooding, that does not seem like the rain. The vegetation for no particular reason also makes me think it may be the Elbe. The flooding at that time was not too bad on the Rhine, although there may have been sandbags, but I do not remember what is was like on the Elbe. The beer garden scene looks German, too.

notamermaid

8 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Wide, flat and calm although it is flooding, that does not seem like the rain. The vegetation for no particular reason also makes me think it may be the Elbe. The flooding at that time was not too bad on the Rhine, although there may have been sandbags, but I do not remember what is was like on the Elbe. The beer garden scene looks German, too.

notamermaid

Vegetation is obvioulsly neither tropical nor arid environment, but moderate climate. So Germany is a good guess. As well the meadows accompanying the river are typical for the Elbe, which is UNESCO Biosphre Reserve in the middle stretch. 

The "beer garden" is part of an iconic restaurant built in the 1920ies.

1 hour ago, dogs4fun said:

Does the sign read KORNHAUS? Dessau?

It does. Well done, dogs4fun. Over to you.

The Kornhaus was built as a sort of getaway on the Elbe shore in 1929/30 by Bauhaus-architect Carl Fieger and is still a must for visitors for its location and architecture. After the 2002-floods many dykes in the middle-Elbe region had been strengthened, so people could sit back and relax, though the 2013 flood was even higher. Downstream the Elbe the situation was worse. Unlike earlier floods, the wave was not broken by failing dykes upriver, so 2013 Magdeburg was severely hit as well as other cities. The city of Hitzacker in Lower Saxony did not have any dyke, as no flood in history had reached that far. In 2013 they drowned completely. The day I took that photo four out of six railway lines crossing the Elbe between Dessau and Hamburg were cut due to the flood.

Viking's Elbe cruises used to call in Dessau until 2018 (if I remember correctly) for an excursion to Wörlitz gardens and palace. Now the Elbe cruises start further upstream in Wittenberg.

On 12/12/2020 at 5:08 PM, notamermaid said:

Still have not seen the shuttle in Speyer, but have been to the other part of the Museum in Sinsheim. Also well worth seeing.

I have been to the museum in Speyer - definitely worth a trip.  DH was VERY patient with my shopping during our Christmas market cruise, so when we docked in Speyer,  I suggested we see the museum instead of going to Heidelberg (for another market...).  Many of the women thought I was crazy for offering - but I had a number of men offering to keep my husband company, if I would accompany their wife to the market!!

Fran

Edited by franski
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, franski said:

I have been to the museum in Speyer - definitely worth a trip.  DH was VERY patient with my shopping during our Christmas market cruise, so when we docked in Speyer,  I suggested we see the museum instead of going to Heidelberg (for another market...).  Many of the women thought I was crazy for offering - but I had a number of men offering to keep my husband company, if I would accompany their wife to the market!!

Fran

Lol... I don't mind a bit of Christmas market shopping, but it would be no sacrifice for me to go the the museum.  It's on our "bucket" list of things to do if we get a chance to do land trips in Germany.

4 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Famous Kalama totems, Marine Park, Port of Kalama.

Yes, you are correct.  The Sternwheeler river cruises stop just up river.  I am fortunate to live just just 3 miles from there.  There is a beautiful park, with a walking trail.  We go down there to walk when it is not raining.  If you get thirsty after your walk, you can stop in at McMennimins, or Ahles Point for a libation.

The totem poles were carved by Chief Don Lelooska out of a 700 year old red cedar.  He started the project for the 1962 Seattle worlds fair, but did not finish them in time.  The port of Kalama purchased them later.  The tallest one is laying on the ground at this point because it was rotting on the inside, and they were afraid it would fall down.  It is 140 feet tall, and this the tallest totem pole in the world that is built from a single strand.  They have just received funding to repair it.

You are up dogs4fun.

I am pleased to hear that the tall totem is under restoration @texasstar

Okay, this was a rather esoteric visit. It was viewed during an extended land visit but, of course, can also be seen via river cruise. Not too difficult to detect once you identify the city in which it is located.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place/river. The person who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo.

759542437_Untitled4-Copy.thumb.jpg.4abfe04cbb5475c6757ec23ae2d5cfef.jpg