Black Watch & Boudicca's Sister Sold

London-Calling

Did you know that Fred. Olsen's Black Watch and Boudicca had a sister?

The Albatros will leave the Phoenix Reisen (German) fleet. The ship will now start a new life as a hotel vessel. Built in 1973, the 28, 518gt, 830 guest Albatros was originally launched as the Royal Viking Sea. She has had eight owners (including NCL and Star) and six names, in her 47 year career.

Albatros was one of three sisters: Star (1971), Sky (1973) and Sea (1973). As for her two sisters: Star is best know today as Fred. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, London-Calling said:

Did you know that Fred. Olsen's Black Watch and Boudicca had a sister?

The Albatros will leave the Phoenix Reisen (German) fleet. The ship will now start a new life as a hotel vessel. Built in 1973, the 28, 518gt, 830 guest Albatros was originally launched as the Royal Viking Sea. She has had eight owners (including NCL and Star) and six names, in her 47 year career.

Albatros was one of three sisters: Star (1971), Sky (1973) and Sea (1973). As for her two sisters: Star is best know today as Fred. 

Albatros - lowest public room ceilings I have ever seen on a cruise ship.  I could reach up and touch one of them, and I'm only 5'4"  !

Her future was always likely in the balance, even before CV19, as Phoenix Reisen bought the former Holland America ship Prinsendam, now called Amera.

Edited by showingdiva

22 minutes ago, London-Calling said:

Really?

Were they lower than Olsen's sisters?

I've never worked on Boudicca, just Black Watch and Braemar, but I don't recall Black Watch's being exceptionally low.   I'm sure I was on Deck 10 or thereabouts on Albatros (wherever the reception / shop area is).  I was supposed to work on her this year again, but that, of course, hasn't happened.

Phoenix Reisen historically do a lot of alterations to their newly acquired ships - the former P&O Artemis had extensive modifications before she was reincarnated as Artania.   Neither she nor her sister Amadea have low ceilings though.

Edited by showingdiva

She may be the luckiest of the trio as she is off to a company with a proven record of operating cruise ships as hotels. Boudicca and Black Watch have been sold as "accommodation vessels", which may not be quite so glamorous...

15 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I'd appreciate you sharing the name of that Company, if possible.

It is the Pick Albatros group. Just a coincidence that it includes the name Albatros. I understand she will be located in Egypt.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
5 hours ago, Britboys said:

Sad to report that Boudicca appears to have been beached at Aliaga ready for scrapping ☹️😢

Another little piece of me has died upon reading this news.  Boudicca was formerly the Royal Viking Sky, the first ship that transported me to Europe and on a North Cape Cruise.  24 days of an excellent cruise and some memories that are as vivid for me today as what I experienced aboard.  She may be gone; but, she won't be forgotten!

• Like 2

I cruised on Boudicca, my last cruise, which we disembarked on 19th March 2020. Little did I know that this would be the last cruise for that fine ship, very sad. 

I have been fortunate to have done a couple of maiden cruises, but never thought my cruise on Boudicca from Limassol would be my first last 😞

Edited by ovccruiser
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, mainelycruising said:

Thanks, she looks nice and shiny, so not been totally neglected since leaving Fred. 

We left her for the last time on 20th February last year in Dubai, after sailing up the coast of India.  Had some interesting cruises those last few years on her.  The itineraries were good.