Anyone else not booking or rebooking now?

EllieinNJ

I haven't been looking with any serious consideration.  I've been considering putting my CND's against a cruise in 2023 to "protect" them from the worst-case scenario of a bankruptcy filing by NCL (in case the CND's would be subject to being written off in those filings).  Even if I decide to cancel that cruise later on and convert the deposit back to a CND for use by its expiration date.

• Like 1

Not booking.  My wife passed away unexpectedly last month.  With a completely new outlook on life, I promised my kids and my granddaughters that I will be taking them on a Haven cruise as soon as things get back closer to normal.  But, I am not going to book anything until I get a good idea of how the cruises are going to work, and how the "new normal" rules get relaxed over time.

• Like 12

We had booked an November cruise that has been canceled. They offered a 10% discount on a future cruise but looking at the 2021 and 2022 cruises we can take (my wife is a teacher so we are limited on when we can go) they are 30-40% higher than the cruise we had booked. We told them to send us the refund and we are done for now. We have another one booked for July on RCCL and will see if that goes. If it does not go we will probably be done for a while.

we had 2 cruises canceled this year, they were practically inexpensive cruises so we opted to take the FCC plus the 25%. We booked a transatlantic for next Nov 2021 to see what happens. We got a good price and our FCC covered the cost of the cruise and we will have plenty of time to cancel if things are not looking up, vaccine etc. If the future of cruising is wearing masks, social distance, etc we ill opt to cancel and not do any more cruises for a while. We will go back to destination vacation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GA Dave said:

Not booking.  My wife passed away unexpectedly last month.  With a completely new outlook on life, I promised my kids and my granddaughters that I will be taking them on a Haven cruise as soon as things get back closer to normal.  But, I am not going to book anything until I get a good idea of how the cruises are going to work, and how the "new normal" rules get relaxed over time.

My condolences. Be well.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Please accept my sincere condolences.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GA Dave said:

I am so sorry to hear that. I know your family with absolutely love any trip you take them on. 

• Like 3

On 10/10/2020 at 4:41 PM, IRMO12HD said:

I, too, got a refund on the Bliss Panama Canal cruise; I've since rebooked (an inside cabin) on Encore for April 2021 (Miami-LA).  The price was pretty reasonable, and I really want to see the canal!  For me, this is a "destination + ship" cruise -- a place I really want to see, and a cruise line / ship that I have not yet experienced.  As far as the mask/shore excursion restrictions, I'm not personally bothered by it.  I will do what I can to protect my fellow passengers, and myself, against COVID-19 and any other ailments; if that means I'm restricted to NCL shore excursions, that's ok.  I really want to see the Panama Canal; the opportunity to explore the ports is a bonus.

I agree with you! We are on this sailing too. Rules won’t bother us, we’re on this cruise for the ship & the canal, any shore excursions will be a bonus!

On 10/10/2020 at 9:58 AM, EllieinNJ said:

Sometimes I feel that I'm the only one who will not book another cruise until I see the NCL ships actually sailing again.  When my April 2020 cruise was cancelled I was so tempted to take the extra 25% FCC plus 20% discount but I made the decision to get a refund which took 85 days.  Then my September 2020 Carnival cruise was cancelled.  I only had a $500 deposit but was given the option for a refund or FCC plus $600 OBC.  I have until December 31st to decide.  Last month I cancelled another NCL cruise for January 2021 because I thought final payment was September 5 but a day after I cancelled they changed it to November 5.  On the two NCL cruises I had used a cruise next which expires March, 2021.  I think I can get a one year extension if I book something now but if the cruise gets cancelled or I change my mind I will lose it. 

I've been following prices of several cruises in 2021 for the last six months and they have slowly been rising.    And the prices for the same cruises in 2022 are hundreds of dollars more.

I really don't want to commit myself to any cruise now with the restrictions they are going to impose like wearing masks and only taking ship excursions.  Am I alone in feeling this way?  I, too, want to cruise again as badly as everyone else.

I agree with you 100%. I'm not booking anything until I know that they are sailing, and that there reasonable ports that are open, and there is some vaccine that at least minimizes symptoms if you become infected.

• Like 1

@gadaveso sorry for your loss. 

I have decided that I am going to wait for the first Leonardo ship in 2022 (hopefully) before I cruise again. Had 5 booked vacations cancelled this year (including an Epic Med cruise) and I just can't deal with the  hassle anymore. Going to stay more local next year and spend my travel funds on other things.

• Like 1

We are cancelling our trip on the Star in May.  It was a bucket list cruise to Norway but we have decided we don't want to play the waiting game.  We have decided to take our granddaughter to Yellowstone instead.  We will look into this cruise in a few years after their is a vaccine and the industry is running again.  We miss cruising but don't feel now is the time to cruise.

Condolences Dave.

I booked May 2022 alaska, too nervous to book 2021. Had 2 Hawaii vacations cancelled and now rebooked for april 2021. Had a cruise booked for February for my 60th, so I guess I’ll be eating at Applebee’s instead. (Just kidding - lol)

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 2:29 PM, Darcy03231 said:

I took advantage of the recent 15% off offer to book cruises in 2022 and 2023.   I didn't feel safe booking anything for 2021.

Just did the same thing on Monday. Had 2 CruiseNext certificates expiring in 2022, so NCL changed them so I could use them for a late January 2023 Escape cruise out of Florida. Didn’t want to take a chance and fly anywhere so wanted to choose something drivable.  Still have a Celebrity cruise in the books for January 2022, will see.  

2021 will be a cross county motorcycle trip on the GoldWing instead of a Baltic cruise for our 30th. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 8:59 AM, tallnthensome said:

We have had an April 2021 cruise booked on the Encore for almost two years now. We got an excellent deal on it. We lost our 2020 Alaska cruise. However,  we are apprehensive....... We will NOT make final payment in December as they are currently expecting. 120 days advance payment with nothing to base cruising on is a ridiculous expectation......

NCL moved (some?) final payments to 60 days out.

I have a Jan 2021 cruise booked... final payment WAS Sept now moved to Nov. This gave me more time to find a room mate.

I will make final payment in Nov and let NCL cancel me. 

On 10/12/2020 at 6:27 AM, GA Dave said:

Dear Dave, My wife JoJo and I are crying at lose of your beautiful wife Judy. We had the wonderful pleasure of sailing and meeting the two of you on the Getaway September 2018 in the Haven. Judy was a beautiful person with a genuine care for others and she passed away way to soon. Tom

Edited by aero777
  • Like 2

Dave, so sorry for your loss.

On another note we were thankful that we got our Panama Canal cruise in before COVID-19 hit. Long before that cruise we had a one way Alaska cruise booked for June 2021 - tonight I told my TA to cancel it. Yes it meant giving up a great price and some prior FCC but in the long run I don't see Canada opening its borders and even if the cruise came about I do want to be able to walk freely around the ports. This was a hard decision, and one day we will make the trip - just not in 2021.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aero777 said:

Dear Dave, My wife JoJo and I are crying at lose of your beautiful wife Judy. We had the wonderful pleasure of sailing and meeting the two of you on the Getaway September 2018 in the Haven. Judy was a beautiful person with a genuine care for others and she passed away way to soon. Tom

Tom, Judy and I had such a great time with you and JoJo on that cruise.  We were really looking forward to someday getting to do it all over again with our Haven gang.  Thanks for making her last cruise such a joy.

IMG_1582.JPG

Edited by GA Dave

8 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

Dave, so sorry for your loss.

On another note we were thankful that we got our Panama Canal cruise in before COVID-19 hit. Long before that cruise we had a one way Alaska cruise booked for June 2021 - tonight I told my TA to cancel it. Yes it meant giving up a great price and some prior FCC but in the long run I don't see Canada opening its borders and even if the cruise came about I do want to be able to walk freely around the ports. This was a hard decision, and one day we will make the trip - just not in 2021.

So sad, but so realistic to cancel June 2021.

I know cancellations are in my future...same reason as you.  Walking around the ports is what we do.  Sitting on a bus, or going to a secluded beach not open to the public...no.

Dave...so sorry for your loss.  But, I'm so happy you have wonderful memories.  Life goes on....just with a new normal.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 1:31 PM, MsTabbyKats said:

As to pricing.....I don't know if they'll ever return to "the way things were".  There is too much "lost revenue" to make up.  Or, maybe the base price could come back down, but with more add-ons.  This is especially true if you factor in "limited capacity".

I agree. With the limited capacity of the foreseeable future I think the days of last minute cruise discounts to fill a ship are over. I think companies will price at level they think will get them to their capacity cap and not deviate as much as we've seen in the past.