Another Delay - this time with Diamond!

MarkBearSF

Well, it's another cancellation and delay. Number five.
Since Broadway has pushed-back reopening to June 2021, we cancelled our May 2021 RT crossings. (We originally had planned to do a similar trip in May of this year, but pushed the shows back to a charter Broadway cruise on another line for October 2020. After that cruise was cancelled, we moved things to May 2021.) We've moved that May booking to October 2021.

We had been booked in one of our favorite cabins, which has a "slightly obstructed" view around the small rescue craft (8050). The only cabins in that category available for the RT booking in October were totally obstructed, but our TA was able to find another not-very-obstructed cabin for the two one-way crossings (8035) and was able to book them and will link the bookings. The total was less than the single booking alternative AND we'll be diamond level when we complete the trip. 

Things were looking a little iffy for a May crossing any way (we both have complicating conditions). With all the unknowns around vaccine development and availability and questions on protocol and procedures aboard and on Broadway, I'm feeling more confident about an October date. (...and NY is nice in October).

Edited by MarkBearSF

3 hours ago, newjoisey said:

good on your up coming diamond .......we are 2 cruises short which means 2 years until diamond 

Yeah, thanks. It was supposed to be after this years' crossings (booked as 1 trip) and a little jaunt from SF to Vancouver in July.  (And then for the cancelled Panama transit to SF, we'd be traveling as Diamond). Oh well. As long as we can make the trip, I'll be happy.

I hear you as I've had three bookings cancelled.  When booking a voyage in this current situation all of us have to mentally prepare for the possibly of it being cancelled.  There are just so many unknowns that the cruise lines cannot know what experience they can offer.  For a TA this means arriving in New York where Cunard is subject to both US and NY authorities.  

There has also been a lot of robust discussion here on what onboard protocols could be in place when sailings resume.  I've already stated what would not be acceptable to me.  I'm not going to book knowing what Cunard plans to do today yet hope that it won't be needed by the time of sailing.  I'll be back when the "old normal" returns.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 12:49 PM, MarkBearSF said:

We had been booked in one of our favorite cabins, which has a "slightly obstructed" view around the small rescue craft (8050).

Congrats in advance on the Diamond status.  

One of my favourite cabins in the slightly-obstructed category is 8013.  I've had it twice now, and had it booked for a crossing later this year which - of course - has been cancelled.

Sitting on the sofa or the bed, you see nothing whatsoever of the lifeboat, which only appears when you walk right up to the glass and in no way hinders the view out or forward. I also like its proximity to the library and Commodore Club - haunts for differing parts of the day.

Ah, just writing this makes me long to be onboard!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey, Mark. Cliff and I just booked our somewhat regular December crossings for 2021. We were hoping things would be back to normal by then (but, based on some recent news reports, we might still have to mask, even with vaccines). We'll be platinum on the return trip (fortunately we can include one of our QE2 crossings in our count).

I know you had a health scare last year, so I hope you're doing well. Best wishes for the holidays and continued good health.

P.S. thanks for the suggestions on the better sheltered cabins. We've booked 8110 (I think it is), instead of our usual sheltered. It's good knowing some of the other less-obstructed ones.

Edited by frankp01
To add the PS

Thanks Frankp01. Fingers crossed for the October crossings. I think you'll enjoy the semi-obstructed Deck 8 cabins. We booked the opposite side equivalent to your cabin (8109) for a RT crossing in May 2021!  (...and my treatments are helping, so I'm doing fine. Just getting tired of sheltering in place.)

On 12/7/2020 at 1:06 AM, MarkBearSF said:

Thanks Frankp01. Fingers crossed for the October crossings. I think you'll enjoy the semi-obstructed Deck 8 cabins. We booked the opposite side equivalent to your cabin (8109) for a RT crossing in May 2021!  (...and my treatments are helping, so I'm doing fine. Just getting tired of sheltering in place.)

Mark, I am glad you are progressing with your treatments. I just had an email from Cunard saying that QM2 has canceled all crossings including the 28th May one. I am still hopeful that my 22 July westbound from Hamburg is a go. I need to get my vaccinations over by the end of March, which is when I have to make my final payment. I and ready to travel, in fact more than ready. 

• Like 1