The Daily for Tuesday Oct 13, 2020

richwmn

today is International Skeptics Day, Good Samaritan Day, and International Face Your Fears Day

The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd.  The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been.
        -- Alan Ashley-Pitt

Meal suggestion for today - Chicken Carbonara

Drink of the Day - Negroni

Wine of the day - The Calling Chardonnay Russian River Valley Dutton Ranch vintage 2015

Balboa Anchorage
Koningsdam

Brindisi Italy Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Caracas Bay
Oosterdam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay GB
Volendam
Westerdam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam

1013World.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  A very appropriate group of days.  Skeptics abound today, as well as many good Samaritans.  Most of us are doing our best to face our fears.  So true on the quote.  Chicken Carbonera is fairly close to my alternate menu suggestion, Chilled Sour Cherry Soup, Chicken Tikka, and Blackberry Crisp, as served on the Amsterdam October 13, 2017.

Today's care list:

Covid-free Mrs Vmax getting ready for surgery October 15

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

California and Colorado Wildfires

those affected by Delta

Kazu’s sister, niece, and BIL

Debbie’s nephew and his girlfriend

Denise’s friend with stage 4 metastatic lung cancer (but pleased she’s comfortable).

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

cruisin single helping Colorado firefighters

Lifting of some evacuation orders in Colorado

StLouisCruisers on a road trip to visit aged mother

a local Eagle Scout Candidate building desks for students in virtual school

Fall colors

Lucy Maud Montgomery

Belated Happy Birthday to Fatcat04's DD

and a great  Thanksgiving for many dailyites in Canada

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting collection of days.

Love the quote.

The dinner suggestion sounds great.  Waiting to hear about the wine and drink of the day.

We had a storm roll through early this morning.  Lots of wind, rain and thunder, but now, it's clearing up and should be a sunny day.

Praying for everyone. 

Have a great day.  Stay safe.

• Like 9

Good morning Dailyites. Thank you Rich and Roy and all you wonderful positive people who come together in this good place. 

Interesting collection of days which seem to me in part to connect to our quote of the day. The Good Samaritan we know was travelling but thankfully did not follow the crowd. He did not give into the fear of the unknown stranger as others had before him but faced his fear and overcame it. He chose to leave the crowd and do what was right by his fellow man and is thus commemorated by many as a role model. 

The quote also reminds me of that wonderful poem I always think of this time of year "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost.

Dd's party was great fun. Family, food, cake, presents. A good time was had by all. She got so many fun toys, most of which do not a) make annoying sounds and b) require batteries. Lots of pretend play and dress up toys which is perfect. She was so excited her usual nap didn't happen. Funny how when you are 3 stopping all that blissful fun for a nap is sheer torture. Once you get into adulthood, you would give just about anything to have a care free nap. 

Oh and I did have a small piece of birthday cake with my morning coffee. Breakfast of champions, don't you know?

Today is a day for dealing with insurance companies, banks, and car dealerships. I get the feeling I will need more coffee.

Prayers for all those in need, who are ill, are travelling, or awaiting hopefully good news. Cheers to those who are celebrating joy. 

I'll leave you with this:

The Road Not Taken 

Launch Audio in a New Window
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Rich, Roy, and all our wonderful dailyites.

The quote is so true, wish more people would not follow the crowds.  Skeptic's abound in today's atmosphere.  We've discovered many good Samaritans and also have had to face our fears.  Still staying social distancing from most everything and everyone.

Negroni:

Ingredients

• 1 ounce gin
  • 1 ounce Campari
  • 1 ounce sweet vermouth
  • Garnish: orange peel

Prayers for all and congratulations to the others.

Stay safe, social distance, and please wear your mask.  Numbers are going down and hopefully we will get this horrid virus under control by the first of the year.

• Like 14

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Roy I really appreciate you keeping our lists. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Joy - it is a white wine today! It is an exquisitely beautiful morning here today!

Wow, a powerful combo of Days! Love the quote. I know I have seen today’s drink on a bar menu. I will pass on the meal. I am having a tapas style meal at our local Beachfront Winery this evening.  BTW, Jacqui @kazu, how did the chicken bubble bake turn out? 

@fatcat04Today is a day for dealing with insurance companies, banks, and car dealerships. I get the feeling I will need more coffee. And more cake! Thank you for the poem! 

Prayers to all who need support. A Shout Out to all we are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This California Chardonnay has very good ratings & a decent price - starting at $27.95. The description and review make me want to add this to my list. And it is from the Russian River area in Sonoma!

#67 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017

Intensely aromatic with notes of lemon curd, honeysuckle and white rose petals. Crisp acidity is balanced with subtle French oak on the palate. Flavors of ripe melon, lemon and baked brioche combine for a long, elegant finish.

WS91 Wine Spectator
Ultrarich and extracted, offering a firm core of pear, apple, melon and spice flavors. A truly impressive effort, with depth and dimension. Drink now through 2022.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

BTW, Jacqui @kazu, how did the chicken bubble bake turn out? 

Not too well.  It was too salty.  Otherwise it would have been great.  I’m not sure why it would be salty.  The only thing I can think of is the bacon.  I am truly perplexed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

Not too well.  It was too salty.  Otherwise it would have been great.  I’m not sure why it would be salty.  The only thing I can think of is the bacon.  I am truly perplexed.

Thank you for testing the recipe.

I may try it and omit the bacon. Or use low sodium bacon. My Mom had to watch her salt intake, so I grew up eating foods with a lot less salt. So I am not a fan of salty dishes.

If I try it, I will let you know how it turns out. 

• Like 6

Good morning Rich. Thank you for the Daily. I like chicken carbonara. Good quote also.

I have tried facing my fear of walking in the yard at night but it still gives me the willy's.

I've been diagnosed with a pathological fear of giants. Feefiephobia. |  Cheesy jokes, Corny jokes, Punny jokes

Good morning sisters. Ann I finally got a white wine review. Thank you. It sounds good too. No notes of dirt or clay or forest floor.. Hi Denise. So what was the first thing you made in your new kitchen? 

Last night Allen wanted his southern food fix. Ham hocks with purple hull peas, corn bread and sliced tomatoes and onions.

I made the Brussels sprouts dish for me and it was delicious.

Thank you Roy for the prayers and celebrations. I am lost on reference to Lucy Montgomery? Something regarding Ann of Green Gables? Thanks summer for the drink recipe.

Hoping everyone is able to face their fears today. Be well, be kind. Sending all blessings.

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for testing the recipe.

I may try it and omit the bacon. Or use low sodium bacon. My Mom had to watch her salt intake, so I grew up eating foods with a lot less salt. So I am not a fan of salty dishes.

If I try it, I will let you know how it turns out. 

The only thing I could pin the saltiness on was the bacon.  It still confuses me as we had some of the bacon the other day and I didn’t find it salty.  I never add salt to the food.

I may try it again as if it hadn’t been salty, it would have been really good.  Next time, I will omit the bacon and see.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kazu said:

The only thing I could pin the saltiness on was the bacon.  It still confuses me as we had some of the bacon the other day and I didn’t find it salty.  I never add salt to the food.

I may try it again as if it hadn’t been salty, it would have been really good.  Next time, I will omit the bacon and see.

You are the head chef of the CC Test Kitchen!  

Perhaps the Ranch dressing would have enough sodium, when combined with the bacon’s saltiness. I wonder if low sodium salad dressing is available?  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

What an interesting combination of days.  Good Samaritans deserve all our recognition.

I think we are all facing our fears every day in 2020 😉 

FC38E696-D438-4FD7-AE7B-1846C6949C00.thumb.jpeg.d5df6bc5976d4a68711ba6f8847c16c2.jpeg

I love the Ashley-Pitt quote.  Since we just did chicken, I’ll pass on the Carbonara for tonight and have it another time.  I picture left over filet in our dinner future tonight 😉 

Yay on a white wine for the wine of the day 🙂 

FE40F5A6-B0F5-4867-AFAC-04FEDA4984C5.jpeg.6c93b3a44eda0e93a074c403cf6f915f.jpeg

By the way, out of curiosity - has anyone else stopped getting CC notifications in their email?  All of sudden I stopped getting the emails.  Very strange.

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & those who need them and a clink of the glass to all those we are celebrating.

Have a great Tuesday everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks. 😷 

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

You are the head chef of the CC Test Kitchen!  

LOL 😄 It’s a rare time when my meals don’t turn out and I have to throw out leftovers.  

Perhaps the Ranch dressing would have enough sodium, when combined with the bacon’s saltiness. I wonder if low sodium salad dressing is available?  

I actually didn’t use boughten Ranch dressing.  I made my own which I know Is not salty.

I blame the bacon.  

• Like 5

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I'm not sure about skeptics . . . we try to be Good Samaritans whenever possible, and I'm pretty sure many of us faced our fears during the Covid lockdown.

I love the quote - when we were returning from our recent family visit, we decided to take an alternate route home.  The route we chose would tack an extra 1.5 hours onto our usual 7 or 8, but it proved to be such a delight.  We drove through rolling hills with lots of trees, farm and ranch land, and of course the colours were beautiful.  It was definitely worth the extra time and driving the "road not taken".

Great suggestion for dinner tonight, but I like Roy's alternate as well - once again he had me at Chilled Sour Cherry Soup.  Does anyone else miss those cold fruit soups?  We'll be having leftover pork chop casserole and Impossible Cherry pie tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll raise our wine glasses tonight for all on the celebration list.  Stay well, be safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 12

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

What an interesting combination of days.  Good Samaritans deserve all our recognition.

I think we are all facing our fears every day in 2020 😉 

FC38E696-D438-4FD7-AE7B-1846C6949C00.thumb.jpeg.d5df6bc5976d4a68711ba6f8847c16c2.jpeg

I love the Ashley-Pitt quote.  Since we just did chicken, I’ll pass on the Carbonara for tonight and have it another time.  I picture left over filet in our dinner future tonight 😉 

Yay on a white wine for the wine of the day 🙂 

FE40F5A6-B0F5-4867-AFAC-04FEDA4984C5.jpeg.6c93b3a44eda0e93a074c403cf6f915f.jpeg

By the way, out of curiosity - has anyone else stopped getting CC notifications in their email?  All of sudden I stopped getting the emails.  Very strange.

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & those who need them and a clink of the glass to all those we are celebrating.

Have a great Tuesday everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks. 😷 

Yesterday was History, tomorrow is mystery so do your best today.

• Like 8