What clothes to pack for June?

welshrich

Hello

We are  (hopefully) cruising in June next year and have decided to do a landtour through the cruise line due to all the uncertainty.

Can anyone advise on the weather and what to pack, I've looked at other reports and the weather for that time of year, we are planning on packing so we can wear layers to adjust to any weather.   One of the excursions we want to do is dog sledding on the glacier, do the tour companies supply any weather protection clothing or do we bring our own, asking as we are flying over and have luggage restrictions.

Thanks.

Contact the tour company directly.  Some will provide gear, some have limited availability and some do not.  That information is usually provided on their website, but I always call to get current/accurate info.  For the most part, I’ve found that if it a specialized experience (glacier walks, kayaking, etc) there is some gear that is provided.

For example one of our excursions next summer said that they provide rain gear.  Hubby is 6’5”— the tour company does not have his size so we’ll pack rain gear.

Not sure about the dog sledding on the glacier—it’s been almost ten years since we did it and I can’t remember!

7 hours ago, welshrich said:

Hello

We are  (hopefully) cruising in June next year and have decided to do a landtour through the cruise line due to all the uncertainty.

Can anyone advise on the weather and what to pack, I've looked at other reports and the weather for that time of year, we are planning on packing so we can wear layers to adjust to any weather.   One of the excursions we want to do is dog sledding on the glacier, do the tour companies supply any weather protection clothing or do we bring our own, asking as we are flying over and have luggage restrictions.

Thanks.

The only clothing that I received on my last Alaska dogsledding excursion was an orange vest and overboots.  On glacier trekking, I received jacket, pants, and overboots.

I always bring lightweight long underwear for dogsledding and whale watching excursions.  These and other warm clothing are available in Ketchickan at the Tongass Trading Company at pier side if you don't want to pack them.  The 2d floor of the store is where the local fishermen ship for their gear.

A mid-thigh, windproof, jacket will be valuable for whale watching and dogsledding.  In addition, I bring a rain poncho and a lighjtweight backpack to store the clothing layers I remove during excursions.  I pack enough clothing for three days and use the unlimited laundry package offered by Holland America LIne (HAL).

15 hours ago, Crew News said:

The only clothing that I received on my last Alaska dogsledding excursion was an orange vest and overboots.  On glacier trekking, I received jacket, pants, and overboots.

I always bring lightweight long underwear for dogsledding and whale watching excursions.  These and other warm clothing are available in Ketchickan at the Tongass Trading Company at pier side if you don't want to pack them.  The 2d floor of the store is where the local fishermen ship for their gear.

A mid-thigh, windproof, jacket will be valuable for whale watching and dogsledding.  In addition, I bring a rain poncho and a lighjtweight backpack to store the clothing layers I remove during excursions.  I pack enough clothing for three days and use the unlimited laundry package offered by Holland America LIne (HAL).

Thankyou for this, it's just what I needed to know, I'm fine with bringing warm clothes and dressing in layers, was not sure about overboots and it's footwear that piles the weight on in luggage.

• 3 weeks later...

Likely in mid to late June you will do fine with "regular" summer clothing but with the extra layer of fleece just in case. It won't be NOLA hot but Anchorage hit the high 80's with a few 90's thrown in during June 2020 according to friends who live there.

WATERPROOF not water resistant is your best bet and that goes for shoes too. 

With the proper attire you can go anywhere and do anything. Puddle jumping on the way to a great crab lunch in Ketchikan might be your favorite day!

13 hours ago, alcpa1 said:

but Anchorage hit the high 80's with a few 90's thrown in during June 2020 

It can do that, but keep in mind a day later it could in the low 50's and raining... Or if you head out of Anchorage and within an hour it could be completely different. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, alcpa1 said:

Likely in mid to late June you will do fine with "regular" summer clothing but with the extra layer of fleece just in case. It won't be NOLA hot but Anchorage hit the high 80's with a few 90's thrown in during June 2020 according to friends who live there.

WATERPROOF not water resistant is your best bet and that goes for shoes too. 

With the proper attire you can go anywhere and do anything. Puddle jumping on the way to a great crab lunch in Ketchikan might be your favorite day!

I second the WATERPROOF clothing and shoes, we learned on our trip the difference between them. I had a WATERPROOF jacket and my DW had a Water resistant jacket (was more fashionable I guess) well she was soaked to the bone in like 15 minutes of rain when were were walking around Ketchikan. The water "resistant" coat never really dried out enough for her to wear it again until we got home.   

29 minutes ago, KYBOB said:

I second the WATERPROOF clothing and shoes, we learned on our trip the difference between them. I had a WATERPROOF jacket and my DW had a Water resistant jacket (was more fashionable I guess) well she was soaked to the bone in like 15 minutes of rain when were were walking around Ketchikan. The water "resistant" coat never really dried out enough for her to wear it again until we got home.   

Always take an emergency poncho for the really soaking rain.