Mask Policy - Sunbathing

zjc

5 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Which brings us full circle. If cruising starts w/ a rule of wearing facemasks while sitting at the pool, I suspect that early on people still will go on their cruises. And of course there will be some people that will not comply w/ this pool rule. There will be confrontations. Because it is indeed insane. We all know it. If RCL choses to enforce it and then selects somebody, some group, or some family to make examples of they'll eventually chase away their customers and the millions of dollars they bring to Royal. People will start cancelling left & right. Wearing a mask in the promenade is one thing, but outdoors at poolside is indeed insane.  

I don't disagree with your logic, but it may come down to losing a certain amount of people versus another shut down if there is an outbreak.  Someone at Royal is I'm sure doing the math.  

• Like 3

If the CDC says that wearing a mask by the pool is required in order for us to allow cruising, what do y'all expect the cruise lines to say? Now I am not saying that the CDC handed down these rules, but I seriously doubt they would've said that any safety guidelines the cruise lines proposed that didn't have that as a requirement was sufficient.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Domino D said:

I don't disagree with your logic, but it may come down to losing a certain amount of people versus another shut down if there is an outbreak.  Someone at Royal is I'm sure doing the math.  

The risk/reward factor of even cruising until the outbreak(s) are mitigated is what they should be measuring.  I'm not a market strategist but if RCL was smart about it, they'd continue to leverage and borrow funds to stay afloat until the risk is gone. I argue that another breakout of covid on one of their ships will hurt the brand to a level of no return.  The risk is greater than the potential rewards at this point in time.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

They made an example of a family on MSC and that didn't chase away their customers.

Not really a great analogy IMO. RCL is a far greater cruiseline to MSC to start with and they have much more to lose. In addition, the MSC cruises are extremely limited in size, the types of passengers, and the types of cruises.  I'm really not sure what % of Royal's customer base is from, I suspect the U.S. If this is the case, the rules that are in place on MSC cruises will not be acceptable to US cruisers.  The face mask pool rule is a prime example of this. Just read this thread to see how many are absolutely balking at this rule. This from the die hards. I can't imagine an average American family going on cruises with this type of rule(s) in place.  But that's me. 

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

They made an example of a family on MSC and that didn't chase away their customers.

However, the reaction might be different on winter Caribbean cruises. People book those to get out of the cold and into the sun. I can only imagine being out on the sun deck with sweat building up under a mask. Gross.

9 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I believe Royal will be taking their pandemic safety rules very seriously as their very future depends on it. One more outbreak on a ship and they may be done for good. 

Not like policing chair hogs😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

. I argue that another breakout of covid on one of their ships will hurt the brand to a level of no return.  

Lots of folks sail Costa despite the sinking of Concordia and likely few are turning away from Princess due to the outbreak on Diamond.

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

We are among those who are going to wait and see if RC enforces whatever rules they set, before we will book a cruise.  If reality shows that they don't, we will stick with MSC.

If reality shows that they don't then I might consider keeping my reservations.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, lr657 said:

If the CDC approves these protocols, they will require them to be followed in order for the cruise lines to sail. I believe all the cruise lines will take these guidelines seriously and enforce them as they don't want to be shut down again. It then becomes your choice to cruise or not to cruise. If you don't want to wear the mask according to the protocols, then don't cruise. 

The chair hog issue that is poorly enforced is a cruise line policy. The Covid protocols are a CDC policy that will be required to be enforced. 

It really is not because in February CDC said MASK ARE DANGEROUS! No thank you - next they'll say no sunscrean because it makes the virus stick!! I'm one of those people that can't help but feel that we have to be careful in the sun. Because I can't just turn a blind eye to other health risks. Sounds like Loyal to Royal gets taken too far!!

6 minutes ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

It really is not because in February CDC said MASK ARE DANGEROUS! No thank you - next they'll say no sunscrean because it makes the virus stick!! I'm one of those people that can't help but feel that we have to be careful in the sun. Because I can't just turn a blind eye to other health risks. Sounds like Loyal to Royal gets taken too far!!

The CDC said that in February when everyone was learning about Covid.  That is not what they are saying now. If the CDC is requiring the mask protocol for cruise lines to sail, that will be the rule on cruise ships. It's not just Royal, but all the cruise lines. If this doesn't fit your agenda, then you should not cruise. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, mek said:

Perhaps anyone who has health issues that prevents them from wearing a mask shouldn't cruse until this is over.  

If you can't comply with the rules, then don't cruise - period.

Blindly following literally IS the conversation though. My son wears a mask indoors but this is getting completely out of control. I'm struggled with this as a shareholder. Seriously, it took them 9 months to create that flyer?? CDC need to give it another 6 months before these prevention get a chance??

Anyways I am preparing myself for the inevitable explaining of how corporations and government work. Which happened anyway but WHOOPSIE a vaccine comes through!! Seriously what's next, no AC in the Caribbean??

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/cooling-center.html

1 hour ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

Blindly following literally IS the conversation though. My son wears a mask indoors but this is getting completely out of control. I'm struggled with this as a shareholder. Seriously, it took them 9 months to create that flyer?? CDC need to give it another 6 months before these prevention get a chance??

Anyways I am preparing myself for the inevitable explaining of how corporations and government work. Which happened anyway but WHOOPSIE a vaccine comes through!! Seriously what's next, no AC in the Caribbean??

It has nothing to do with blindly following something - it has everything to do with complying with a rule.  It is not up to you or any other cruiser to determine which protocols will be necessary for cruising to resume. If you don't like or agree with the rules, then again I say - don't cruise, which is exactly what I am doing. 

I don't wear a mask outdoors, but tomorrow I'm taking my grandson to Kings Island Amusement Park and they require a mask on everyone over 2 except when eating, so if I want to enter, I must have a mask on whether I like it or not or personally think it's necessary.  Seems simple enough to me.

Same thing about a mask at the pool - do I think it's overkill?  Yes I do, but if that is the rule, then that is the rule.  

Edited by mek
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Which brings us full circle. If cruising starts w/ a rule of wearing facemasks while sitting at the pool, I suspect that early on people still will go on their cruises. And of course there will be some people that will not comply w/ this pool rule. There will be confrontations. Because it is indeed insane. We all know it. If RCL choses to enforce it and then selects somebody, some group, or some family to make examples of they'll eventually chase away their customers and the millions of dollars they bring to Royal. People will start cancelling left & right. Wearing a mask in the promenade is one thing, but outdoors at poolside is indeed insane.  

Make an example of them!!! Walk the plank. 

Airlines do it every day and no one has stopped flying. the ships currently cruising do it. 

In fact, strong enforcement will have the opposite effect. People will feel better about safety procedures and will book cruises. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, mek said:

It has nothing to do with blindly following something - it has everything to do with complying with a rule.  It is not up to you or any other cruiser to determine which protocols will be necessary for cruising to resume. If you don't like or agree with the rules, then again I say - don't cruise, which is exactly what I am doing. 

I don't wear a mask outdoors, but tomorrow I'm taking my grandson to Kings Island Amusement Park and they require a mask on everyone over 2 except when eating, so if I want to enter, I must have a mask on whether I like it or not or personally think it's necessary.  Seems simple enough to me.

Same thing about a mask at the pool - do I think it's overkill?  Yes I do, but if that is the rule, then that is the rule.  

Exactly, there is no point in arguing whether you agree with the rule or not. If the CDC requires the cruise lines to implement this rule,  it's everyone's choice to cruise or not. No one is being forced to cruise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

You do know that link is talking about a public facility that offers an air conditioned space in neighborhoods where homes and businesses are often not air conditioned.  The concern is people packing into a small space, not the air conditioning itself.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

In fact, strong enforcement will have the opposite effect. People will feel better about safety procedures and will book cruises. 

I tend to agree with you.  For every person who is put off, there is likely another who will feel that this makes it more safe.

Edited by Domino D
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

I don't believe the CDC ever said "masks are dangerous".  At the start of the pandemic, there was a shortage of PPE equipment including masks.  In order to prevent people from hoarding masks, especially N95 masks much needed for front line and health care workers, it was recommended the public not use them by the WHO (World Health Organization).  The WH task force then reiterated the recommendation which was then echoed by the Surgeon General.  

As some have stated, more is now known about how this virus is transmitted and masks are more readily available, as a result the recommendations have changed to included mask wearing for the general public.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

I had no idea when that is, but so many cruises in Europe remind people to put their masks back on without insulting them or kicking them off! I have a son with childhood asthma that I adore more than anybody and nobody is going to tell him that it is “good” for him to sit in the sun with one of those over his face!

Masks might not be good for a person with asthma, but I'm no dr. If you say they aren't good for him why would you put him in that situation? Just because you want to cruise doesn't mean you should. It might better for your sons safety to wait till things calm down. 

17 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I believe Royal will be taking their pandemic safety rules very seriously as their very future depends on it. One more outbreak on a ship and they may be done for good. 

I'm sure they will be and I'd like to see how long it takes for someone to get confined to their cabin or get kicked off. 

15 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

Thats what I read

I guess the rules only apply to some people and not others. 🙄

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I don't think Royal will chase everyone away. There are plenty of people who don't go to the pool to become leather. There are probably fewer people that do so the majority won't be affected. As for chasing people away this mask wearing won't be a permanent thing, at least I hope not. The sun worshipers will be back.

9 hours ago, Beeline Cruiser said:

It really is not because in February CDC said MASK ARE DANGEROUS! 

You are wrong, the CDC never provided that advice, and it is dangerous and irresponsible to make statements like that. Be better.

6 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

At the start of the pandemic, there was a shortage of PPE equipment including masks.  In order to prevent people from hoarding masks, especially N95 masks much needed for front line and health care workers, it was recommended the public not use them by the WHO (World Health Organization). 

This is correct, and occurred in most countries 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Make an example of them!!! Walk the plank. 

Airlines do it every day and no one has stopped flying. the ships currently cruising do it. 

I agree completely with strong enforcement having a positive effect - especially if they start up and don't have any covid.  I'm not sure that is going to be possible - look at the two ships in Europe right now who either have confirmed or possible cases. 

13 minutes ago, mek said:

I agree completely with strong enforcement having a positive effect - especially if they start up and don't have any covid.  I'm not sure that is going to be possible - look at the two ships in Europe right now who either have confirmed or possible cases. 

And port authorities wasted no time in barring passengers from leaving the ship.