Mask Policy - Sunbathing

zjc

5 minutes ago, Olympian said:

It is very plain that there are some wide differences in peoples opinions regarding masks.

Here's a question for the pro mask crowd.  Would you wear it on a cruise if the cruise lines  / CDC did not mandate it?

The two situations you list are very different things, the cruise line saying to mask or no mask, means nothing to me.  That is like taking an actors opinion on politics.  If the CDC said it were no longer necessary, I would strongly consider no longer wearing it (and most likely ask my Doctor).  A mask can only reduce the likelihood of me contracting the virus, so why not wear it?  I'm sure for you and many other people, the belief is the mask does nothing so why bother.  I'm not trying to change your mind, just telling you what I would do. 

I get that there are people who don't believe a mask is lowering their risk of spreading the virus, but it's a mask.  Let's not pretend like your being issued this. 

Z0I87vfo9x4.JPG

I answered the question about would I wear a mask.  If they continue to tell people who don't believe in masks that they must wear one while on board, will you wear it?  Will you sit out cruising for another year rather than wear one?  Again, if you will it's your decision, just curious.   If you have a medical condition that makes it hard for you to breathe in a mask, you may want to consider the likelihood you will have complications if you get a respiratory virus.  Just a suggestion.

36 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

In elevators, hallways and other indoor places where social distancing is not possible, yes.  On the pool deck in my lounger, no.

Are saying that even if the CDC no longer required/recommended masks you take the extra precaution?  If they no longer said it was necessary, why would wear it at all?   

23 minutes ago, Sweetnspicy said:

I would. I work retail in a very high volume location. I’m not going to be the person that passed the virus around the cruise ship. I wear my mask for others, not for myself. 

Agreed, If we are talking wearing a mask in the current situation.  It should not be up to personal preference.  It is about slowing spread.

17 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Exactly what we plan to do.

Edited to add:

It isn’t enough to count on what the cruise lines are doing to keep us safe, we still have to do our part.  

I agree with your thoughts on extra precautions, but it seems you are saying you plan to not abide by the policy and remove your mask at the pool.  I don't disagree that if you are outside and 6 ft from strangers, I don't see why the mask would be required.  That said, if everyone decides which rules they will abide by, what will do when a group of people are not wearing a mask in space you feel is unsafe?  

The problem is, if one person can decide what they think is enough, than everyone can.  If the inevitable people who take it to far get X number of people infected, no one is getting off the ship.  Individual choice is fine until it becomes a decision that impacts everyone.  

An outbreak on a ship will be a financial catastrophe and PR nightmare for a cruise line.  If I were you all, I would think hard about not cruising until this passes.  I don't think they will be able to turn a blind eye to passengers breaking these rules.   Just an opinion. 

Edited by Domino D

47 minutes ago, Olympian said:

It is very plain that there are some wide differences in peoples opinions regarding masks.

Here's a question for the pro mask crowd.  Would you wear it on a cruise if the cruise lines  / CDC did not mandate it?

Yes but not outside on the sun deck as long as social distancing was in place. It’s no different than eating in the MDR or drinking in a bar. 

51 minutes ago, Olympian said:

It depends on what is going on with the virus at the time of the cruise as well as other restrictions. If it is under present conditions I am inclined to say no since I don't think that I would get in the ship in the first place.

39 minutes ago, Domino D said:

Are saying that even if the CDC no longer required/recommended masks you take the extra precaution?  If they no longer said it was necessary, why would wear it at all?   

Agreed, If we are talking wearing a mask in the current situation.  It should not be up to personal preference.  It is about slowing spread.

I agree with your thoughts on extra precautions, but it seems you are saying you plan to not abide by the policy and remove your mask at the pool.  I don't disagree that if you are outside and 6 ft from strangers, I don't see why the mask would be required.  That said, if everyone decides which rules they will abide by, what will do when a group of people are not wearing a mask in space you feel is unsafe?  

The problem is, if one person can decide what they think is enough, than everyone can.  If the inevitable people who take it to far get X number of people infected, no one is getting off the ship.  Individual choice is fine until it becomes a decision that impacts everyone.  

An outbreak on a ship will be a financial catastrophe and PR nightmare for a cruise line.  If I were you all, I would think hard about not cruising until this passes.  I don't think they will be able to turn a blind eye to passengers breaking these rules.   Just an opinion. 

I was simply replying to a question posed as I assume the others that you quoted were.  No where did I ever suggest that I would remove my mask at the pool deck or not follow any rules.  The question posed was if there was no requirement to wear masks would you still wear one.

42 minutes ago, Domino D said:

Yes, unless things drastically change I most certainly would wear a mask where social distancing is not possible until I am able to get the vacination.  Sorry, I don't put a lot of faith in the CDC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Olympian said:

No  I would not

Edit  But I am not really part of the pro mask crowd

Edited by molly361

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I was simply replying to a question posed as I assume the others that you quoted were.  No where did I ever suggest that I would remove my mask at the pool deck or not follow any rules.  The question posed was if there was no requirement to wear masks would you still wear one.

EDIT - Never mind we crossed posts

Edited by Domino D
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Again, exactly the same here.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Again, exactly the same here.  

So you to will continue to wear a mask in some circumstances, even if the CDC says there is no longer a need?  

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your post, I thought you were saying that you were not planning on wearing a mask at the pool (only at the pool) even if that was the requirement.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.  

I am not a fan of masks myself but if that's what required I will wear one until I have used my FCC's.  I am not going to use new money until the restrictions are removed.  I ordered a cruise mask to at least make it somewhat fun to comply.  I am not going to left on an island someplace because I didn't follow the rules.  The cruise lines are not going to bat an eye when they offload rule breakers because their business is on the line.

Maybe masks work and maybe they don't but I will survive one cruise wearing one.  

I hope we get the guidelines for when and where they are required and when they won't be soon.  There are cruises in early December that are still showing on cruise line sites that have not been cancelled and the clock is ticking fast.

image.png.1f9d9ec7920020fd444066b8d51e6572.png

image.png.c73717ac4b32ed5735363bae60f32351.png

Edited by Olympian
added a 2nd photo
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Domino D said:

So you to will continue to wear a mask in some circumstances, even if the CDC says there is no longer a need?  

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your post, I thought you were saying that you were not planning on wearing a mask at the pool (only at the pool) even if that was the requirement.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.  

No problem.  

I don’t enjoy the mask and would have to give it a lot of thought if not recommended by the CDC.  At this point, I think I would continue to wear it because I am very happy with my life as it is now, and don’t want to risk changing it.

Here is a question that I don't have the answer to. If it is necessary to wear a mask on the outer decks then why is it ok to have exceptions for when they might get wet? The virus is not an issue around water? Why don't pools, hot tubs, slides, and flowriders need to be shut down? Somehow I am dangerous to those around me when I am on a lounger listening to my music and minding my own business but I am not dangerous when I am in a hot tub (hypothetical as I would never get in one) and sipping on one of RCI's $14 drinks?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Here is a question that I don't have the answer to. If it is necessary to wear a mask on the outer decks then why is it ok to have exceptions for when they might get wet? The virus is not an issue around water? Why don't pools, hot tubs, slides, and flowriders need to be shut down? Somehow I am dangerous to those around me when I am on a lounger listening to my music and minding my own business but I am not dangerous when I am in a hot tub (hypothetical as I would never get in one) and sipping on one of RCI's $14 drinks?

You have a point.  I don’t see a problem with the slides or Flowrider because one person rides at a time and there can be social distancing markers to stand on while in line.  But what would encourage social distancing in a pool or hot tub?  I rarely use the pool (sometimes immediately after returning to the ship while in port, when there are few people there) and never use the hot tub, so I don’t have to worry about it personally, but you are right.

I did take pool aerobics classes for a few weeks in July/August.  It was held in a large pool in a separate room, with a door to the outside propped open, and enough chlorine to completely fade a bathing suit in one hour-long session.  It was attended by only 4-6 people in the class, all of us retired women who were well aware of staying far apart.  I never changed in the locker room and used hand sanitizer after opening the door to the pool and again as I left.  That being said, I moved in mid-August and have not attempted to find a class here.

21 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The new chair hogs will be water hogs.....

The other times you won't have to wear at mask (besides dining) is while exercising. 

"Also, guests should not wear masks while engaged in activities that may cause the mask to become wet, like when swimming in our pools, or when participating in strenuous activities, such as jogging, running, or fitness classes at the Vitality Spa and Fitness Center."

27 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

The new chair hogs will be water hogs.....

The other times you won't have to wear at mask (besides dining) is while exercising. 

"Also, guests should not wear masks while engaged in activities that may cause the mask to become wet, like when swimming in our pools, or when participating in strenuous activities, such as jogging, running, or fitness classes at the Vitality Spa and Fitness Center."

In other words, you don't have to wear a mask when you are exercising, breathing really hard, and blowing your droplets all over the place. I might come back from my next cruise more fit than when I leave home to get to it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

No wetness issues here. Can't rub eyes either

Maybe you can run a flexible tube down the snorkel for your cosmo

918570019_Screenshot_20201018-161115_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.d813b7550480f19e353e0e75f055657f.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Have read too much about carbon dioxide build up in those.

The anti maxers are saying that about all masking, right.

What I like is the snorkel is up high. Maybe above the droplets. 🤔

I'm guessing the aerosols fall.

Edited by John&LaLa

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

What I like is the snorkel is up high. Maybe above the droplets. 🤔

I'm guessing the aerosols fall.

Does that mean it is also safer to eat standing up?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I see both sides of that argument.  I have a hard time wearing a mask for a long time and have lost track of how many different kinds I have tried.  I do wear one though anytime I am in public and will continue to wear one due to my pre existing condition and those of my family.

• Like 1