Hopefully just a blip for MSC trial cruises

MSC Grandiosa was not allowed to disembark passengers today in Malta due to suspected case of Covid-19.  I guess no cruise will be full proof until a vaccine, and even then...

https://www.maltatoday.com.mt/news/national/105335/cruise_ship_passengers_not_allowed_to_disembark_after_suspected_covid19_case#.X4nwQNBKiUk

1 minute ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Not even a confirmed case and not allowed to disembark. And only a single person suspected. Everyone's on high alert. My region is going back to a modified Phase 2 as of 12:01am Monday it has just been announced. Not good. 

Heard about that.  Thought Halton might be included as well.  We are in Durham and while not as many cases its starting to climb here as well

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Heard about that.  Thought Halton might be included as well.  We are in Durham and while not as many cases its starting to climb here as well

So much for learning to live with it eh? The only business left will be Amazon and Walmart......maybe Amazon can start selling Walmart's dome of immunity?? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, franncos said:

When thousands of people are on a  Mega Cruise Ship,  it is inevitable someone will get the virus.

Actually, someone on the ship first has to HAVE the virus for others on the ship to GET the virus.  If someone has symptoms or tests positive mid-cruise (on a 7-night cruise), that means that they were carrying the virus prior to embarkation and this is proof that all the testing and pre-cruise precautions in the world are not fool-proof.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Halton is on the “short list” and has been warned that they might be next. 

• Like 1

Trueblue66--Why do you think that just because there is a vaccine it will be the answer?  There is no vaccine that is 100% effective and I am guessing if you check the flu vaccine that might be 50% effective.  I am always amazed that everyone think the answer is a vaccine.  Let the country open up and life will go on.  Some people will get it and some won't.  Even now the WHO is saying that a lockdown is not a good idea. 

• Like 8

The msc forum is saying it is a crew member who had the rapid test they do on crew on a regular basis.  As cases are rising throughout europe/schegen countries that are allowed onboard MSC this is to be expected.  They will perform a PCR test when they arrive at port tomorrow.  Could be a false positive with the rapid test.

1 hour ago, SeaHunt said:

I know it's not a major outbreak, and people contract it on land daily, but still this feels like a setback in cruising starting up. Hopefully it won't get worse and can be taken in proportion.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

Trueblue66--Why do you think that just because there is a vaccine it will be the answer?  There is no vaccine that is 100% effective and I am guessing if you check the flu vaccine that might be 50% effective.  I am always amazed that everyone think the answer is a vaccine.  Let the country open up and life will go on.  Some people will get it and some won't.  Even now the WHO is saying that a lockdown is not a good idea. 

From everything I've read, the RNA vaccines are predicted to be highly effective.  I guess we really won't know until the vaccines are ready and people start getting them.

Edited by mek

20 minutes ago, mek said:

From everything I've read, the RNA vaccines are predicted to be highly effective.  I guess we really won't know until the vaccines are ready and people start getting them.

I don't think I have ever read during a vaccine's development that it was predicted to not be very effective. You are completely correct in that we don't really know yet.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

You are correct that no vaccine is 100% effective. And if, over time, the reaction to having a few cases aboard a ship doesn't change then cruising is doomed. People are not going to risk quarantines, lock downs, being barred from ports, no freedom to explore ports, etc, forever.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't think I have ever read during a vaccine's development that it was predicted to not be very effective. You are completely correct in that we don't really know yet.

Well from the get go either the anti vaxxers or people who are viewing this as something political keep mentioning the efficacy of flue vaccines, not mentioning how many strains of flu there are and that this years vaccine is based on last year.

I know there have been some covid mutations, but nowhere near what there are with the flue, so I expect any vaccine to be highly effective, but unfortunately there are some who don't see it that way.

Edited by mek
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mek said:

Well from the get go either the anti vaxxers or people who are viewing this as something political keep mentioning the efficacy of flue vaccines, not realizing how many strains of flu there are and that this years vaccine is based on last year.

I know there have been some covidmutations, but nowhere near what there are with the flue, so I expect any vaccine to be highly effective, but unfortunately there are some who don't see it that way.

And with the success rate of developing vaccines against other Corona viruses I'll maintain my level of skepticism.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

And with the success rate of developing vaccines against other Corona viruses I'll maintain my level of skepticism.

Either way, I hope we find out soon!

My personal opinion is that developing a Corona vaccine hasn't  been on the front burner since 2015 simply because previous Corona viruses have never even come close to being pandemic and a few of them actually fizzled out on their own. 

1 hour ago, mek said:

Even if all it does is lessen the severity of the illness enough to prevent hospitalizations, it will be successful.  The flu vaccine basically makes the severity of the flu much less and the length much shorter.  What I have issue with are the people that have decided out of hand that it either won't work or will be dangerous.  Um, that's what the trials are for.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mek said:

Either way, I hope we find out soon!

My personal opinion is that developing a Corona vaccine hasn't  been on the front burner since 2015 simply because previous Corona viruses have never even come close to being pandemic and a few of them actually fizzled out on their own. 

I think what he's referring to is the fact that there isn't a vaccine against something like the common cold, which is a Corona Virus also.  But, the common cold mutates at a extremely high rate which is why people get sick with them over and over.  Even the cold though which is everywhere, most people only get one per year or two, although they are exposed to a lot more.   I, personally catch colds about every 3-5 years and it's not because I don't go out anywhere.  I worked until March, go to church every Sunday, eat out, shop, etc.  No vaccine is perfect, but I'd take one that lessens the symptoms over nothing at all.

15 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

I don't,  that's why I used "I guess... and even then". 

I just hope that a vaccine is developed that is highly effective, and testing improves to the point that confidence is restored and we can all get on with living. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

OB is fair to say that people aren't focusing enough on the "developing" part of your statement when talking about established vaccines?  My understanding is that it takes time to develop, adequately test, and refine a vaccine, and that time line can not be altered by just having more people working on it.  We have a saying with clients who want things done quicker, "Nine women can't make a baby in one month."

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Domino D said:

OB is fair to say that people aren't focusing enough on the "developing" part of your statement when talking about established vaccines?  My understanding is that it takes time to develop, adequately test, and refine a vaccine, and that time line can not be altered by just having more people working on it.  We have a saying with clients who want things done quicker, "Nine women can't make a baby in one month."

This sums it up very well. All these promises about getting a effective vaccination next week, next month, just in time for some elections is all "fake news"

• Like 1